REI Co-op Cycles CTY e2.2 Reviews

RickyBikes

Region
USA
The REI Co-op Cycles CTY e2.2 is a mid-market urban/commuter eBike from outdoor retailer, REI. They are a familiar brand with a loyal following, and they’re known to take care of their customers, so I wanted to take a deeper look at their eBike offerings. The Co-op CTY e2.2 retails for $2,399.00, comes in three sizes and one color (twilight blue). This is a class-1 eBike, meaning pedal assist up to 20mph (32kph). It’s got a slightly more powerful 250W Shimano mid-drive motor with available 60Nm of torque. It also has a longer lasting 36V battery, and primarily uses Shimano components. Here's REI Co-Op’s official website and I'd love to hear your thoughts below, especially if you own the CTY e2.2 or plan to buy it!!

While I haven't reviewed this electric bike myself, I have covered similar E-Bikes and I wanted to provide some insights and open things up for your feedback. I hope providing several sources, with varying perspectives, allows everyone to come to their own conclusions. Sometimes short reviews and those created by shops only cover the good aspects and can come off like a commercial, so I've tried to be neutral and objective with these insights:

Pros – things that stand out as good:

• REI has a number of shops across the United States. You can purchase this from your local REI or online it can be shipped to your house. If it's shipped, there is some assembly required, as there is for all packaged and shipped eBikes. Your local shop can help you put it together if you don't have an REI local to you; the fact it uses almost exclusively Shimano parts means it's easy to work on.
  • The size of REI's network and their great customer service make for a reliable shop to purchase from - one that will continue to benefit you if you're a member. You get 10% off your purchase which goes back to you at the end of the year. The fact REI is a co-op also makes it feel more like a local purchase and less like a chain purchase.
  • Shimano is a reputable company that makes quality components for a ton of eBike brands. Utilizing their mid-drive motor is a sensible option and less expensive than if they had opted for a Bosch or Yamah motor. The riders' center of gravity will be low to the ground and it will make for an intuitive ride up steep hills.
  • This is an upgraded motor and battery compared to REI Co-op Cycles previous incarnation, the CTY e2.1. It's still a 36W battery but with a slightly larger 504Whs. The more powerful motor now produces 60Nm of torque output, so it should make for an even better hill tackler.
  • The integration of the electrical wiring and the mechanical components is pretty seamless. This is because Shimano has produced almost every part of this bike. This bike is as close to Shimano making their own mid-market bike as one can get.
  • The bike has some standard safety features, but ones that are always important - like rear taillight and headlight, reflective striping on the tires, hydraulic brakes (which requires less hand strength to brake).

Cons – considerations that seem like trade-offs or negatives:

• This is a fairly intuitive bike, but for the $2,399.00 price tag, you're paying for the Shimano brand name, the REI brand name, and the network of stores and shop offerings that REI has. This isn't necessarily bad, as the customer service REI provides is great, but you could probably find a less expensive bike with similar quality - the only difference would be the reliability comparison of the two brands. REI is reliable.
  • This bike should be limited to paved paths and city bike paths. It's not designed for the outdoors and doesn't offer much in the way of multi-terrain hybrid capabilities.
  • Despite the larger battery, this bike still only gets about a 50 mile range (depending on how you ride - 40 miles is more realistic). It is quite a bit faster to charge than the CTY e2.1, but you're paying about $400 more for this bike, so I'd have hoped the range would've been extended.
  • It's great that there's more torque with this bike, and it seems to be a pretty comfortable ride, but for all of the mid to low-mid components, it leaves a bit to be desired as far as power and punchiness provided.
  • This bike uses all the same Shimano mid-level to low-mid-level components that the CTY e2.1 does, so that means this bike will be heavy. The added welded rear rack adds additional weight. Since REI sells so many accessories, it'd have been nice if the rack was removable or interchangeable. It should be noted that there are other accessories that can be clipped onto the rack.
  • It comes in only 3 frames and 1 color (twilight blue). Despite the clean wiring and cohesion between electrical and mechanical systems, this bike is not gorgeous (just my opinion). It is cleanly designed, and has some retro fender flair to it, but overall, this looks like CTY bike that was retrofitted to be an eBike. This isn't necessarily bad, but for the price tag, there could have been some unique integration and design choices. Usually with a clean design, an added security feature is that the bike doesn't necessarily look like an eBike, but with this design, the battery is obvious and the wires on the handlebars are obvious.
  • The bottle cage bosses are always important to any ride. As is a rear mounted kick stand. This kickstand is in the middle of the bike, but it's got a neat feature: a double kickstand so it improves stability.
  • A bike of this price should have five PAS levels. This one only has three. The small display seems simple enough to use, but like the CTY e2.1, it beeps each time you press a button. That would get annoying quickly.
  • This bike is a class one, but it seems to lack the power to really tackle hills. It's fine cruising through a flat city like Denver, CO, but a city like Portland, OR may be less suited for this type of mid-drive.
  • The lights are a pain. To be turned on/off, one must access a menu on the display. There should just be a simple button that does the trick. As far as safety's concerned, brighter lights, and the taillights functioning as brake lights would have been an ideal upgrade - especially the lack of reflective paint accents on the frame itself - this is an urban bike after all and there will be traffic.

As always, I welcome feedback and additions to these pros and cons, especially from people who have tried or own the bike. If you see other great video reviews for the REI Co-op Cycles CTY e2.2, please share them and I may update this post ongoing so we can get the best perspectives and insights.

Well... I don't necessarily agree with all your pros/cons comments, sorry. I found motor powerfull enough to go quite a steep hill. Sure my Tesoro X with 85N is better but bike is double priced. One I must agree: NO QUICK access to ON/OFF lights. It's not a big deal though as YOU WANT TO HAVE THEM ON ALL THE TIME (especially when you go on public roads). So my wife's brand new CTY 2.2 is way better than returned Generation e1.1 back to REI. Here are few photos I took after finising updating here bike: https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared/IPYNOQ6zRvKVlXyWQUTPZA.Ev6Y3EoVafslAEUo4EMNH6
We got it for $2150 sale price (plus tax) down from $2699... Yeah.. it's year 2023.. so prices went substantially up on any bikes. My Cannondale Tesoro X costs now $5500 and I got it almost year ago for $4700. As you can see there are (added): side mirrors, new seat as well as side handles for straighten riding position for comfort. One more piece I still want to add (and shopping/researching) for is new bike shock seat post. I need anybody advise on that, yet I don't want to brake bank. Also does anybody can tell me the size I need ? . I'm debating between: 1> https://www.amazon.com/SR-Suntour-Suspension-Seatpost-Protective/dp/B07FT931BP/ref=sr_1_6?crid=3TXTZRZ79UNEP&keywords=bike+shock+seatpost&qid=1673785514&sprefix=bike+shock,aps,136&sr=8-6 and 2> https://www.amazon.com/DJC-Suspension-Seatpost-Absorber-Lightweight/dp/B08BGZ2MRL/ref=sr_1_9?crid=3TXTZRZ79UNEP&keywords=bike+shock+seatpost&qid=1673785514&sprefix=bike+shock,aps,136&sr=8-9 ... Thank you for all your help/advise.
An update: already purchased option 1. We'll let you know (whoever cares) how it does.

Last edited:
Thanks for starting this topic! I just found my way here via an internet search, because I wanted to learn about the shimano iphone app that works with the computer on this bike. There was no mention of the app here, but I found it on the apple app store. I was able to set it up with my bike and have started experimenting with it.. but no notable feedback on it so far. The computer is very simple which I like but still it will be interesting to find out if I am able to use it to track my biking over time and monitor the battery and such things.

I've just owned this bike for a few days now, but my feeling is that the review in the OP is fairly accurate. I paid roughly the same price as @zawaprz but as an REI member I will get 10% back.

- You can turn off the beeping on the computer which I have already done. It does still beep if you try to do something on the computer that doesn't work, like trying to increase the assist beyond HIGH. ;-)
- I wanted an ebike that rides like a bike, and that's what this is. You have to pedal to get the assist to work, and I appreciate that. Even on hills when your speed goes down to 7mph and you are having to pedal alot. At least you get up the hill without having to stand up or get off and walk, which is what I was doing previously!
- Personally I think the bike IS gorgeous if unassuming. I like the color and design of the frame, and the fenders, lights and welded on rack are solid and look great. The seat is comfortable, and the hydraulic brakes are reassuring and easy to use.
- I don't know what a bottle cage boss is, but you are reminding me that I bought a bottle holder and bottle, and it fits very nicely just under the seat. The screw holes for the holder are very low down on the frame so you can fit a tall bottle.
- The bike is heavy! Loading it into the back of my minivan was a bit of a struggle and took two people. This is way harder than with my old bike. It also does not have a quick release front wheel.

Anyway, glad to be here 👋 and welcome any guidance or resources to help me on my new e-journey. The next step is to figure out a basket and/or paniers for the rack. And gloves/ear-warmers. It's cold here!

REI's business model, support, and now ebike business offer stellar support and service.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for starting this topic! I just found my way here via an internet search, because I wanted to learn about the shimano iphone app that works with the computer on this bike. There was no mention of the app here, but I found it on the apple app store. I was able to set it up with my bike and have started experimenting with it.. but no notable feedback on it so far. The computer is very simple which I like but still it will be interesting to find out if I am able to use it to track my biking over time and monitor the battery and such things.

I've just owned this bike for a few days now, but my feeling is that the review in the OP is fairly accurate. I paid roughly the same price as @zawaprz but as an REI member I will get 10% back.

- You can turn off the beeping on the computer which I have already done. It does still beep if you try to do something on the computer that doesn't work, like trying to increase the assist beyond HIGH. ;-)
- I wanted an ebike that rides like a bike, and that's what this is. You have to pedal to get the assist to work, and I appreciate that. Even on hills when your speed goes down to 7mph and you are having to pedal alot. At least you get up the hill without having to stand up or get off and walk, which is what I was doing previously!
- Personally I think the bike IS gorgeous if unassuming. I like the color and design of the frame, and the fenders, lights and welded on rack are solid and look great. The seat is comfortable, and the hydraulic brakes are reassuring and easy to use.
- I don't know what a bottle cage boss is, but you are reminding me that I bought a bottle holder and bottle, and it fits very nicely just under the seat. The screw holes for the holder are very low down on the frame so you can fit a tall bottle.
- The bike is heavy! Loading it into the back of my minivan was a bit of a struggle and took two people. This is way harder than with my old bike. It also does not have a quick release front wheel.

Anyway, glad to be here 👋 and welcome any guidance or resources to help me on my new e-journey. The next step is to figure out a basket and/or paniers for the rack. And gloves/ear-warmers. It's cold here!
I'm not sure if you will be able to get 10% off (I'm member or REI as well) - I was told that either 10% or 'on sale' would apply, and clearly 'on sale' was way higher %age.. it's not both, but EITHER (higher). I highly recommend to get seat shock as it does fantastic job. Yes, bike is heavy but this is a nature of ALL ELECTRIC BIKES due to frame, motor, and battery. It's not a problem, and in many circumstances actual plus. Power from motor easily compensate that plus when cruising down the road downhill your weight actually contributes positively for inertia, so you will roll much further without peddaling as if you would roll on regular bike. In fact I believe beside extra security from more massive frame it may have been actual idea from designers so it contributes for additional comfort (less pedaling) when riding downhills or vice versa, if you turn off your electric support and want to get 'an extra kick' or workout you'll sweat more as you need much more of your input as oppose to regular less weight bike hence burning more calories (lol)!! So as you can see it's beneficial both directions. Indeed, drawback (or not??) is lifting it on rack - need your morning gym?? - well - there you go!! .. yes, an easy solution is doing it together, indeed.. :). Have a happy biking! Few days ago I actually did bike (>+13 Celsius) here in outskirts of Cleveland. I did take opportunity and ran both, Cty2.2 and my Tesoro X to discharge batteries to level ~ 60% as I have feeling it'll be bad weather in Feb. 40-70% for the charge is typically recommended to preserve your batter while not using it - oh, and don't leave it in garage where temps are low during winter time, or during extreme hot (has at least potential). G luck. My final product after all upgrades: https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared/GvqBBHgXTS-FaFM0Rct_zA.rzXYK2fYlWRMij3TtCZvHY I'm still experimenting to add tail light on side of bike to seat stay as we are planning to add top rack bag so mounting it on post won't work.

Thanks! I was told I would get the discount, so 🤷‍♂️ we will see. Even if not I am not dissatisfied by the price.

I have not seen seat shock before, but did an internet search and there appear to be plenty of options! Agree re the weight and benefits while riding. It feels very natural. I think it's interesting too that you can turn on/off the battery while you are riding, to decide when you need it. Also that you don't really notice the battery is on while you ride. I like to roll my pedals back as I move, to help me with balancing, and there is no resistance at all.

The photos of your bike are pretty nice! Can't you upload them here?

From the photos, I am intrigued by your addons:
- padded seat
- seat shock
- mirrors
- extra handles

For now, I will not change anything but may look into some of these items. First priority is to get some bike gloves, and maybe some new locks. I brought my old bike over from Germany and liked that it had a lock just on the back wheel, to prevent people from riding off with the bike.

Thanks! I was told I would get the discount, so 🤷‍♂️ we will see. Even if not I am not dissatisfied by the price.

I have not seen seat shock before, but did an internet search and there appear to be plenty of options! Agree re the weight and benefits while riding. It feels very natural. I think it's interesting too that you can turn on/off the battery while you are riding, to decide when you need it. Also that you don't really notice the battery is on while you ride. I like to roll my pedals back as I move, to help me with balancing, and there is no resistance at all.

The photos of your bike are pretty nice! Can't you upload them here?

From the photos, I am intrigued by your addons:
- padded seat
- seat shock
- mirrors
- extra handles

For now, I will not change anything but may look into some of these items. First priority is to get some bike gloves, and maybe some new locks. I brought my old bike over from Germany and liked that it had a lock just on the back wheel, to prevent people from riding off with the bike.
Hi there, eventually I will share some thoughts more as life is extremely busy. I can reasure you though on seat shock. You can't go wrong.. Side mirrors? I tested few before, and those from my photos seems the best. You want to be sure they stick out of handlebars like on my photos otherwise your boddy will obstruct view (if you into details). Extra handles making 'cruising position' and takes away stress on your wrists if you have any discomfort otherwise like we do. Additional lamps is no joke - your safety first! Yesterday did ~ 9 miles - was gorgous weather. Next day maybe Wednesday of next week. We have overall very mild that some would not call even Winter. Have a safe rides!

awesome! thanks for sharing your experience. I might like to get the handles too - from your list that is the one that is most relevant to me. I do have issues with my wrists and hands. I feel fairly confident looking over my shoulder, as someone who commuted by bike all the way through college. So far I have not been bothered by the seat either.

My old bike had handles as well - which I also liked because they could protect my hands in case of a fall.

Can you share the name of the handles you got, or a link to amazon? Not sure what the rules here are about recommending specific products.

awesome! thanks for sharing your experience. I might like to get the handles too - from your list that is the one that is most relevant to me. I do have issues with my wrists and hands. I feel fairly confident looking over my shoulder, as someone who commuted by bike all the way through college. So far I have not been bothered by the seat either.

My old bike had handles as well - which I also liked because they could protect my hands in case of a fall.

Can you share the name of the handles you got, or a link to amazon? Not sure what the rules here are about recommending specific products.
These I got on my 3 bikes, and work just great!: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002I7PRUQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 It's been while since my last browsing here, so in case one more time my wife's CoOp 2 'mini album', link: https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared/Bw3sPdnWSK2HpeFQiejRhA.7x_PDDHJFMV0K2b-FzWZ5D

SWEET bike!
Ps: my version of extenders is "long", not short. Of course you must have rubber handles in addition to out it on.... I got those that works very very good: MARQUE Ergo Bike Handlebar Grips – Non-Slip Bike Handle Grip with Ergonomic Comfort Design for Bicycle Flat Handle Bar – Fit Mountain Bike, E-Bike, Hybrid, City Commuter Bikes, Scooter https://a.co/d/cPbT7SJ. ... Also for my bike: Topeak https://a.co/d/i0u70xY. And my wife selected this one: Topeak https://a.co/d/0QURU3l... Typically i carry water bottles, some basic bike tool (screw drivers, french, as well as phone while my bike's trip is being monitored by my Samsung Galaxy 4 that works in conjunction with my phone in bag, ...often listening to music, ok there stuff via Bluetooth plugin headphones-pads)

Last edited:

Nope, you won't get a member rebate on sale items, but it's nice to have for full priced items when you can't wait for a sale or value the return policy.

I'm not sure if you will be able to get 10% off (I'm member or REI as well) - I was told that either 10% or 'on sale' would apply, and clearly 'on sale' was way higher %age.. it's not both, but EITHER (higher). I highly recommend to get seat shock as it does fantastic job. Yes, bike is heavy but this is a nature of ALL ELECTRIC BIKES due to frame, motor, and battery. It's not a problem, and in many circumstances actual plus. Power from motor easily compensate that plus when cruising down the road downhill your weight actually contributes positively for inertia, so you will roll much further without peddaling as if you would roll on regular bike. In fact I believe beside extra security from more massive frame it may have been actual idea from designers so it contributes for additional comfort (less pedaling) when riding downhills or vice versa, if you turn off your electric support and want to get 'an extra kick' or workout you'll sweat more as you need much more of your input as oppose to regular less weight bike hence burning more calories (lol)!! So as you can see it's beneficial both directions. Indeed, drawback (or not??) is lifting it on rack - need your morning gym?? - well - there you go!! .. yes, an easy solution is doing it together, indeed.. :). Have a happy biking! Few days ago I actually did bike (>+13 Celsius) here in outskirts of Cleveland. I did take opportunity and ran both, Cty2.2 and my Tesoro X to discharge batteries to level ~ 60% as I have feeling it'll be bad weather in Feb. 40-70% for the charge is typically recommended to preserve your batter while not using it - oh, and don't leave it in garage where temps are low during winter time, or during extreme hot (has at least potential). G luck. My final product after all upgrades: https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared/GvqBBHgXTS-FaFM0Rct_zA.rzXYK2fYlWRMij3TtCZvHY I'm still experimenting to add tail light on side of bike to seat stay as we are planning to add top rack bag so mounting it on post won't work.
Which brand and model bag is that on the rear rack of your bike in these photos? I’m just curious.

Which brand and model bag is that on the rear rack of your bike in these photos? I’m just curious.
1) Topeak https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004WSLT2O?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
2) Topeak https://a.co/d/9We4Y3Z

I've got both. I like first better, my wife otherwise. Hope it helps. p.s. please see above correction to links... sorry. 2 are totally different bag, the first one having 'zipable' unfoldable side bags.. like in here: https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared/iaP20jATSSSF5ox3cQj98g.n9qsADLlwLUcTH6QnOhpHH

Last edited:
Back