Unit Pack Power battery goes boom

ki11a

Be warey of what batteries you may buy...

hmmm...this is actually the 2nd or 3rd fire Ive seen from UPP batteries...wether or not that says something, I am not to say.

Those firefighters certainly don’t seem to be in any hurry to actually put that fire out! It was certainly too late for the bike but looks like lots of spread was happening.
That’s a big fire and I’m of the opinion that the Li-on battery industry needs to be held accountable for fires and preventing them. As I’ve noted, IMHO the battery industry needs to come up with better chemistry and/or battery storage options. LI-on batteries are simply too volatile and the idea that we can’t transport them via the airlines is more than proof enough.

Last edited:
Has to do with data spec I would think...those 'respected' ebike manufacturers usually have expensive bikes and cater to higher class and therefore would have less of them around vs a budget value ebike where there would be many more of those around and therefore more cases to be had or found.

Oh there are plenty of incidents with "respected" manufacturers, including recalls from Pedago, and fires from Teslas and other EVs that have BMS systems that ebike manufacturers don't come anywhere near meeting. Saying that manufacturers should be liable simply for producing li-ion batteries is simplistic. It's not like the manufacturers want fires; companies have been working for years to improve the safety of lithium batteries, but with current technology there is no way they can totally eliminate the risk. Buying batteries from unknown sources is especially risky, but even expensive ones from reputable manufacturers occasionally go "boom", just like gasoline engines occasionally catch on fire. The only way to have totally safe lithium batteries is to stop producing them until when (and if) they become fool proof. Not a year goes by without some company claiming that they have a better battery technology, but after 20 years the most we've gotten are slight advancements using the same basic technology. Maybe it's a good way of weeding out the gene pool of people who leave their chargers on for days at a time, use batteries with obvious defects like buldges or other signs of expansion, and so forth.

The "respected" e-bike manufacturers charge a lot for their batteries, not without a reason...
That’s one of the big reasons I went with a respected brand like Bosch. Still, they could certainly do more to address the potential and how to deal with a Li-on fire.

Oh there are plenty of incidents with "respected" manufacturers, including recalls from Pedago, and fires from Teslas and other EVs that have BMS systems that ebike manufacturers don't come anywhere near meeting. Saying that manufacturers should be liable simply for producing li-ion batteries is simplistic. It's not like the manufacturers want fires; companies have been working for years to improve the safety of lithium batteries, but with current technology there is no way they can totally eliminate the risk. Buying batteries from unknown sources is especially risky, but even expensive ones from reputable manufacturers occasionally go "boom", just like gasoline engines occasionally catch on fire. The only way to have totally safe lithium batteries is to stop producing them until when (and if) they become fool proof. Not a year goes by without some company claiming that they have a better battery technology, but after 20 years the most we've gotten are slight advancements using the same basic technology. Maybe it's a good way of weeding out the gene pool of people who leave their chargers on for days at a time, use batteries with obvious defects like buldges or other signs of expansion, and so forth.
I’m guessing Tesla has documents about their vehicles for the firefighting community. I know Toyota does for its hybrids, but then they aren't li-on batteries.

"When a BMS is installed and working properly, there is almost no chance of a fire."

If you go on YouTube and type in "ebike fire", there are tons of videos for every scenario.

Catching fire while parked, while riding, while charging, etc.. and in every case, BMS failure was the problem?
If BMS was working properly, the fire would have not occurred? 🤔

The BMS is not going to be in play when the insulation protecting a cell has rubbed through and caused a short or a venting issue. Doesn't happen often, but it does happen. A LOT of thought has to go in to protecting those individual cells when assembling a pack. Then, more attention required regarding protecting the pack - which involves way more weight/momentum than individual cells....

A rough riding bike will rattle your brains out. Imagine that effect on a poorly constructed/installed battery pack!

I wonder @Dallant how many e-bike manufacturers let the rider see the current battery and motor temperature. Specialized do.

Do you keep track of that while you're riding?
BLEvo app shows that during the ride along all other ride parameters. I check the temperature with Mission Control occasionally on my stops if I don't use BLEvo.

Well isn't that disappointing when I saw Unit Pack Power recommended by EBikeSchool.com
I really enjoy watching EBikeSchool.com YouTube channel and to be honest, I learned a lot from Micah's channel.

Also, Unit Pack Power batteries are sold under different brand names.

From what I understand UPP started out to be a great source for batteries but then they began cutting corners and their quality went down.

From what I see here, nobody has provided any proof something even happened. That makes this a non-event. I don't see where it should affect somebody's previously good reputation.....

Or am I missing something?

The CEO of Unit Pack Power responded to this video.
I guess there's always two sides of story.

According to the CEO, the customer just claimed that it was Unit Pack Power battery caught fire.
Then he refused to release any evidence (photos, etc.) or something to prove that it was UPP battery catching fire.

In order for UPP to file their global insurance claim, they needed some proof, but according to UPP, the customer refused.
I'm not saying which side of party was telling the truth, just saying that, there is always two sides of story.

I watched the OP video again and the reviewer strikes me as a bit of d_bag who likes to listen to himself talk and may be skewing things a bit... The studio mic set is the first clue 🙃
Now if he was there with the bike when the fire started, as he said.. "had just shut the breakers" ... why didn't he pull the bike away from the building entrance? Ok.. Possibly he had locked it to the railing already, but there's no mention of this. But he did put the entire building and lives at risk not doing so.
Then the audio cuts out in the video right after someone says "I'm glad it happened now" ?
Then he spends most of the video talking about battery capacity which is not a factor at all and just an opportunity for him to fill space and show how smart he is.
Now I don't have the experience to know if his scheme for implementing both batteries in parallel is advisable, perhaps @Ravi Kempaiah can educate us on this.
But when UPP replied saying that it is not advised to connect the batteries in series or parallel, I do believe that they were referring to battery packs as they sells them, not individual cells. So again I believe he knew this as having dealt with Chinese vendors and a bit of translation forgiveness should be expected.. so I find that part of the video moot as well as self serving.
Now for the batteries to fail when not under load or charging... I say that you can not rule out user error as the last change in state was the switching of the breakers and poorly run wires that shorted is all that would be needed.
UPP quality is not what it use to be and it can quite possibly be a poor quality control issue as well.... all I sayin' is that the jury is still out.

He says everything was fine until he switched off the two breakers, Hmm. Why a breaker and not a switch rated for max ampacity. My guess is either the breaker or wiring was the issue especially not having a load on it at the time.

He says everything was fine until he switched off the two breakers, Hmm. Why a breaker and not a switch rated for max ampacity. My guess is either the breaker or wiring was the issue especially not having a load on it at the time.
Breakers are used pretty commonly by DIY eBike kit world. Hundreds of posts on ES forum, if not more. Having discussed with him I can say without any doubt. Not a breaker problem. 72V systems are not for the timid.

Breakers are used pretty commonly by DIY eBike kit world. Hundreds of posts on ES forum, if not more. Having discussed with him I can say without any doubt. Not a breaker problem. 72V systems are not for the timid.
A properly wired circuit breaker itself can not cause a fault such as this.... but poor wiring practices can. Sloppy wiring and no grommets or strain relief comes to mind. Then at 72v and running parallel or series packs you have some real potential.
He seems to be a bit full of himself and also trying to cover himself for any liability.

When originally posted, he had a circuit diagram available. I recall he had his batteries in parallel, but with diodes to prevent one dumping power into the other. He probably thought ..."this will never fail." Apparently, something did.

Back