Ebiker in Maine

HappyRider

Region
USA
I built an Ebike from a rear wheel kit back over 5 years ago. It used(still uses!) a 300 watt 36v motor. At the time I purchased a 20ah battery pack for it(which still works fine) and later used four 36v 7.5ah scooter packs that I got cheap from Ebay to make two, 36v 15ah packs for it. That bike served me fairly well until recently when I began to crave the better hill climbing torque offered by newer, more powerful, more advanced Ebikes. I also wanted better range and much less battery charge anxiety. I wanted an Ebike that felt more useful than novelty. I guess what I really wanted was an electric moped. Which I pretty much found in the Aniioki AQ177 pro max. The AQ177 has the largest single battery pack Ive seen on an Ebike giving it well over a 100mile range for someone in my "lighter" weight catagory. There was another, very similar ebike that I considered called the Juliet that also used a 60ah battery pack but that cost $300 more and, at least to me, didnt offer anything more for the extra money. My AQ177 was delivered last Wendsday and Ive put about 200 miles on it so far. Also, so far, Ive yet to make a dent in the battery bar gauge, even after tooling around both towns I live between doing errands all day. Loving this AQ177-again, so far! I did get a flat the other day, but that is normal happening for any ebike. I use to get them a lot on my old ebike too-until I put one of those PVC liners in both tires. For mods on my new ebike, I added a few but dont plan to go crazy. I transferred a large capacity rear basket from my old ebike to the new because thats where my dog rides and she goes everywhere with me. I also added a smaller basket to the front for groceries and repositioned the headlight to an accessory bar mounted between the handlebars a little higher up. Ive changed the stock seat out for a seat with a backrest(because Im getting old...er) and finally, Ive replaced the original knobby tires with 60tpi street tires because I spend 97% of my time on tarred or smoothish, hard packed surfaces. In my opinion the 180mm, hydrolic disc brakes the bike comes with are very adequate so dont need messing with. Neither does the front or rear shocks need upgrading-again, in my opinion. Ive read posts from guys who say they weigh nearly 300lbs and then complain that the stock shocks on their Ebikes bottom out. Well, yeah??? Why would they expect differently? Oh yes! I also added a mirror to my left handlebar so that Ill be able to see the approach of the car that ends up squishing me!. Anyway, thats my story and Im sticking to it. Im a long time ebike rider but no expert. Loving my new AQ177 though. So far....!

Attachments

• 16965135593358647968940532472467.jpg
    16965135593358647968940532472467.jpg
    749.7 KB · Views: 91
Welcome to the forum. :)
One of the benefits I enjoy from using an Ebike as my primary mode of transportation is completely free "fuel". All of my household electrical needs are met using solar power. So I put my bike on the charger every day when Im done riding and have Alexa prescheduled to turn the charger on at sunrise every morning. By time I get up and going, my bike is fully charged. I also made a sepparate solar ebike charger using a couple of 24v, 60watt solar panels connected in series and to a mppt charge controller. I made that set up thinking the bike might be too much draw on my primary system, but its not. What Ill probly end up doing is finding a way to fasten just one of the 24v 60watt panels to my bike(the panels arent terribly large) and wire it through a boost charge controller and then the controller to the battery to keep a couple amps going into the battery any time that Im out riding in the sun. Admittedly, the biggest challenge will be where to mount the solar panel. Probly a foot or two above the rear basket on some kind of wire "stilts". Would love to hear other ideas.

Hello,

It's fantastic to hear about your journey from building your own ebike to upgrading to the Aniioki AQ177 pro max. Your experience really highlights the evolution and advancements in ebike technology over the years. The move from a 300-watt motor to the more powerful option in the AQ177, along with its impressive battery capacity, is a significant step up. It's great to know that it's meeting your needs for better hill climbing and range.

Your modifications sound practical and personalized, especially the rear basket for your dog and the seat with a backrest. It's all about making your ride comfortable and suited to your lifestyle. And good call on the street tires for smoother rides on paved surfaces.

Your approach to sticking with the original brakes and shocks makes sense, especially given your weight and usage. It's always essential to understand the limitations and capabilities of your bike's components.

Thanks for sharing your story and insights. It’s always enlightening to hear real-world experiences from seasoned ebike riders. Enjoy your rides on the AQ177, and stay safe out there!

Love the big 60Ah/2800+ Wh batteries. I want someone to put one on a somewhat lighter, more regular style e-bike. I have the Juliet, and since i'm not seeing too much else interesting that is actually in stock, i may check out the Romeo Pro just for the larger tires. The Ride1Up CF Racer 1 looks interesting, but i don't really like drop bars, and i'd have to buy a couple extra batteries, at least 1, so i'm waiting to see if anything else interesting is in stock for Spring or early summer. Thought about the A8 Pro also just to get the 52V/60Ah battery, but it's a bit too close to the Juliet. Luckily i have a few bikes to ride so i can wait to see if a 3kW battery shows up on a bike with proper gearing for pedaling. Surprised more people are not interested in these large battery bikes, as they make great commuters.

Love the big 60Ah/2800+ Wh batteries. I want someone to put one on a somewhat lighter, more regular style e-bike. I have the Juliet, and since i'm not seeing too much else interesting that is actually in stock, i may check out the Romeo Pro just for the larger tires. The Ride1Up CF Racer 1 looks interesting, but i don't really like drop bars, and i'd have to buy a couple extra batteries, at least 1, so i'm waiting to see if anything else interesting is in stock for Spring or early summer. Thought about the A8 Pro also just to get the 52V/60Ah battery, but it's a bit too close to the Juliet. Luckily i have a few bikes to ride so i can wait to see if a 3kW battery shows up on a bike with proper gearing for pedaling. Surprised more people are not interested in these large battery bikes, as they make great commuters.
About drop bars: I know what they are for, and that roadies absolutely must have them. But in 99% of the photos I see, the riders are not riding on the drops, but using the upper part of the bar (does that upper bar have an official name?). I have never had drop bars on a bike, because my wrists and hands can't stand the pressure--numbness and pain are the sure result, even on flat bars such as on my early mountain bikes (back when mt bikes were just starting to evolve--so a long time ago). So I ride Mary Poppins style, and am perfectly happy that way. I guess I'm not really aiming at a debate here, just making an observation. Oh, and I am puzzled that gravel bikes seem to use drop bars.

I believe that is riding on the tops. At least that’s what we called it 30 years ago.

Last edited:
Wow 60AH! I went from 20AH to 36AH due to the rolling resistance of my fat tire causing battery bonk when climbing. I've been riding for 50+ years and have carpo tunnel type problems when riding now. I loved drop bars as I could ride my brake hoods and tops and the drops to avoid numbness. I'm experimenting now with ergo grips and origin 8 extenders a 90 degree takeoff for my mountain bars on the fat tire. Now i need a throttle wire splitter for an additional thumb unit so I can use all my alternate positions. Anybody know where to find a Y splitter for the 3 pin waterproof connector? (Jollet?) I did modify a thumb unit by adding a 3 pin but it didn't work. hard to believe red blk yellow would not mate to red blk green but no it did not. pin orientation must be different regardless of colors for a scooter thumb.

Now i need a throttle wire splitter for an additional thumb unit so I can use all my alternate positions. Anybody know where to find a Y splitter for the 3 pin waterproof connector? (Jollet?) I did modify a thumb unit by adding a 3 pin but it didn't work. hard to believe red blk yellow would not mate to red blk green but no it did not. pin orientation must be different regardless of colors for a scooter thumb.
If you can solder and use heat shrink tubing, you can do what I did and make your own adapter cable.

Order two of these cables with the correct connector (usually 3 pin yellow for throttles), cut and splice them to the length you need.

If you have hand or wrist issues i would look into a suspension stem. All reports are they work great. The proprietary Future Shock system Specialized has is probably the best, but the add-ons are good as well. I'd go the the Kinekt

Back