Tubeless tires on Trail F5

Baidun

Region
USA
Does anyone know if the rims on the Trail F5 are tubeless ready? I’m getting way too many flats and my local bike store tells me tubeless is the way to go, but that it is a costly change. Otherwise thinking of just putting in some sealant?

Slime. Use a little more than recommended on the bottle. I have tried, but I still don't understand the advantage of tubeless tires under more or less normal conditions. Best I can tell, the advantage of tubeless is that they, by default, use sealant, and they are often easier to repair when they have flats, which they do. The latter is no small point, especially if you're racing, but adding sealant to the tires you have will make them as flat resistant as tubeless tires.

Maybe, when your tires need to be replaced anyway, consider going tubeless. Forego the expense otherwise and just add Slime.

TT

Great, thanks! I thought the rim needed special ‘lips’ for the tires to seat into. I’m never sure what to believe at the bike store, or why they told me converting to tubeless would be an expensive ordeal. They all sell other brands of ebikes and sometimes talk down to my FLX, perhaps not wanting to be bothered, because they’ve never heard of the brand. I’m going the slime route for now!

No.
Tubeless ready rims or dedicated specific tubeless usually will have no holes for the spoke nipples.
(most tubeless ready rims will be made where the inner wheel wall is shallower vs a wheel designed for an inner tube)
When you take your tyre off you will see the holes under the rim tape.
You can easily make any rim tubeless ready by removing the factory installed rim tape then adding a tubeless specific adhesive rim tape that creates a tight seal so there's no leakage out the nipple holes. You can also use the 1 inch width Gorilla Tape as a rim tape. Many swear by it as it's as-like industrial super sticky adhesive and seals well.
thats not a safe thing to do you need rims made for it.

Back