Trying to decide which ebike to buy!? Hellllppp!

I guess it really depends what you're looking for in terms of trails but if a step-through is essential I would have a look at a SmartMotion X-City. If you can manage the frame (and can still get hold of one) then the SmartMotion Catalyst is really tempting for the money (and I ride an NCM so it's not like I have a vested interest).
Thanks, not thought of smartmotionbikes X-city looks good. Do you know anything about the motor. Distance available to travel etc?

Thanks, not thought of smartmotionbikes X-city looks good. Do you know anything about the motor. Distance available to travel etc?
I think that historically Dapu have had good reviews for their hub motors but less so for the mid-drive ones like this but they seem to have improved and SmartMotion use them in other bikes. The responsiveness and range should be good from a mid-drive (certainly over 100km if ridden conservatively) and there are options (in overseas guise) for higher speed limit and throttle, which could be legal in an "off-road" situation in Australia.

Sorry but what do you mean by ..and there are options (in overseas guise) for higher speed limit and throttle, which could be legal in an "off-road" situation in Australia.”?

Sorry but what do you mean by ..and there are options (in overseas guise) for higher speed limit and throttle, which could be legal in an "off-road" situation in Australia.”?
If you want to know more about various countries and their e-bike regualtions look here (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_bicycle_laws). You will see that Australia broadly follows the EU (250W maximum power, 25km/h maximum pedal assist, 6km/h maximum throttle speed), probably mainly to increase the availabiltiy of mass-produced bikes that do not require significant alteration. SmartMotion bikes though, for example, are from New Zealand where the regulations are significantly different, especially in terms of power output, maximum speed and throttle use. With some makes it is a relatively straightforward exercise to "convert" them back to their original set up (or at least partly) provided the bike is to be used in an "off-road" situation.

If you want to know more about various countries and their e-bike regualtions look here (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_bicycle_laws). You will see that Australia broadly follows the EU (250W maximum power, 25km/h maximum pedal assist, 6km/h maximum throttle speed), probably mainly to increase the availabiltiy of mass-produced bikes that do not require significant alteration. SmartMotion bikes though, for example, are from New Zealand where the regulations are significantly different, especially in terms of power output, maximum speed and throttle use. With some makes it is a relatively straightforward exercise to "convert" them back to their original set up (or at least partly) provided the bike is to be used in an "off-road" situation.

So if I buy a Smartmotion X city it will coming from NZ but will be restricted for export to Oz? How would I find out how to revert it back to original power etc (to use off road)?

How does Volition get way with selling 2000 W, 55 kPH bikes?!
No idea really but I guess they claim they are selling them for use on private land only and the responsibility to comply with the local laws is the owner's. If you like the look of the SmartMotion then I would suggest having a chat with a local dealer in Tassie and asking them what your options are. The bike will be imported from NZ but will comply with AU law but, as I said, some bikes are easier to convert back than others.

No idea really but I guess they claim they are selling them for use on private land only and the responsibility to comply with the local laws is the owner's. If you like the look of the SmartMotion then I would suggest having a chat with a local dealer in Tassie and asking them what your options are. The bike will be imported from NZ but will comply with AU law but, as I said, some bikes are easier to convert back than others.
Just had a dealer compare the Smartmotion to a Hyundi car, in comaprison to a Kalkoff being an Audi!

Spent hours already looking on line. Can't go into shops because of lockdown here in Oz. But I need to buy a bike! HELLLLP please?

There are SO many bikes on the market now! I am in Australia and there are even many here. Every shop I call says their brand is the best!!

Seems like every bike I like the look of I then find problems. E.g Kalkhoff Integrale i10 the Impulse original engines were very problematic the one I found has the newer Impulse EVO model motor, is this any better? The old Bosche motors had problems etc. What about the Vado, less power than the Intergrale, less miles?

1. Want a commuter that is capable of a bit of trails etc, live in Tasmania.
2. Need an upright position 'cause I'm old and got neck back issues. A comfortable bike !
3.Got about up to $4500 Aus.
4.Need step through or trapeze.
5. Want as much power as possible.

Many thanks in advance.
John
I just purchased a jet performance from Volition in Sydney. The engine for a 250 watt looks identical to the bafang G520 (2000 watts) and its a really amazing ride. While illegal in Sydney there are so many illegal ebikes on the road here that you just blend in with the crowd. Also if your sensible and don’t speed down the road at 50 mph using just your throttle you should be fine.

This is a high performance commuter that will cost you around 3700 US shipped.

I doubt whether it would get past the Australian border control
If that is the case the bike will be seized and the buyer will be out of pocket
Simply not worth the risk

I just purchased a jet performance from Volition in Sydney. The engine for a 250 watt looks identical to the bafang G520 (2000 watts) and its a really amazing ride. While illegal in Sydney there are so many illegal ebikes on the road here that you just blend in with the crowd. Also if your sensible and don’t speed down the road at 50 mph using just your throttle you should be fine.
Hey I’m interested in the Jet bike from Volition, is it still working well for you? What’s the fastest you can pedal with the motor assist and the 3 speed internal rear hub? Any issues with the rear 3 speed hub? I see they only have one size, how tall are you and does the bike size work well for you? How do you think it compares to their full suspension Max models? How is their customer service? I’m over west so I can’t test ride any of their bikes, but I like all their concepts, but can’t find many reviews, some aren’t complimentary. Cheers

I doubt whether it would get past the Australian border control
If that is the case the bike will be seized and the buyer will be out of pocket
Simply not worth the risk
when i posted this^ i didnt even know about volition bikes, Ultra powered bikes ready to ship right there in Australia! i still get a lil nervous when i see an Ultra and a 3 speed internally geared hub like the Jet Performance but they say they custom tune the motor, i would love to hear some real world reviews from the guys that own them! i would also love to give that thing a go! i think the Volt in this video is chain and cassette no carbon belt like the Jet but it still seems smooth, harder to tell with the music

Last edited:
I did see one for sale on Gumtree on the Gold Coast about a month ago but it was the derailleur version, not the carbon belt drive one. I did fancy the idea of one but the fact that they are only in Sydney put me off and I saw one or two people online complaining that they had had problems with their bikes and were having difficulty getting any response from the company. Pity because they look like interesting bikes.

Volition look like Australia's answer to Biktrix. At face value they seem very well specced for the price but I've heard zero about them. $4.2k for a 700Wh IGH belt drive? Yes please! Potentially a good solution if you're craving an illegal spec bike. (They're incredibly rare on the Australian market)

We're shopping for a cargo bike atm. At $3k I'd be more willing to give one of these a try if I still lived in Sydney, but not going to roll the dice now we're a few hours away.

@whitebeach did you find a bike in the end?

Last edited:
Bafang Ultra or BBSHD are available in Australia.
There's an indepth discussion here regarding the legality of importing ebikes to Australia here: https://www.flyingsolo.com.au/forum...ort-electric-bike-scooter-requirements.28724/. It might be relevant to the Frey question.

I wonder if Volition et al are getting away with it because they offer legal limited versions of the motors?

There's a local business that does conversions with Bafang motors. All his are limited to 25 km/h as far as I'm aware.

Last edited:
There's an indepth discussion here regarding the legality of importing ebikes to Australia here: https://www.flyingsolo.com.au/forum...ort-electric-bike-scooter-requirements.28724/. It might be relevant to the Frey question.

I wonder if Volition et al are getting away with it because they offer legal limited versions of the motors?

There's a local business that does conversions with Bafang motors. All his are limited to 25 km/h as far as I'm aware.
Ye those 25kmh speed bikes are great for going to the shop and back if your old

Back