Trying to decide which ebike to buy!? Hellllppp!

whitebeach

Spent hours already looking on line. Can't go into shops because of lockdown here in Oz. But I need to buy a bike! HELLLLP please?

There are SO many bikes on the market now! I am in Australia and there are even many here. Every shop I call says their brand is the best!!

Seems like every bike I like the look of I then find problems. E.g Kalkhoff Integrale i10 the Impulse original engines were very problematic the one I found has the newer Impulse EVO model motor, is this any better? The old Bosche motors had problems etc. What about the Vado, less power than the Intergrale, less miles?

1. Want a commuter that is capable of a bit of trails etc, live in Tasmania.
2. Need an upright position 'cause I'm old and got neck back issues. A comfortable bike !
3.Got about up to $4500 Aus.
4.Need step through or trapeze.
5. Want as much power as possible.

Many thanks in advance.
John

I honestly believe one of the big issue with the ebike industry is that virtually every ebike is designed by cyclists for cyclists. They think everyone needs to be in an aggressive aerodynamic riding position which makes no sense to anyone wanting to use an ebike as a safe comfortable urban mobility solution so what you are looking for is a rare solution. FLX has a couple options worth considering and I'm drawing a blank on the bike from China that can be directly ordered but they have a belt drive model worth looking at for sure.

@whitebeach,
For Australia, you cannot go wrong with Giant who are strongly present there. The Explore E+ 1 25 km/h fits the bill. As long as it is available, because the market is in very difficult position now.

John, you said you needed an upright riding position. With the Explore E+, I would instantly add a stem riser (a stem extender) to the bike; that costs dimes, is easy to install, and changes your riding position from forward to far more upright.

P.S. If anyone tells you to import an e-bike, bear in mind you need a dedicated LBS to support you. The Giant network is strong. (You can consult other Australian cyclists such as @pmcdonald).

Last edited:
This is a high performance commuter that will cost you around 3700 US shipped.

Frey was my other suggestion. I think they do a lot right but could make a model to be a bit more comfortable.

The Land of Oz is not the United States, if you excuse my crisp remark. There are several Australian e-cyclists here in the Forums and their experience gave me a good insight of the Down Under reality.

Op said he wanted a commuter bike with as much power as possible and that is what I have posted,I'm not telling him to do anything,he is a big boy who can decide if he wants to purchase one.
I'd love one!!!
The Land of Oz is not the United States, if you excuse my crisp remark. There are several Australian e-cyclists here in the Forums and their experience gave me a good insight of the Down Under reality.

Reality meaning what?

Australian ebike laws are clear - 25 kph limit to assistance plus power is limited to 250 watevers ( which has zero relevance to how much torque or how powerful the bike feels , so ignore exaggerated watter claims from online sale / illegal imports etc. ) - if you are riding an illegal ebike then you are riding an u registered unroadworthy motorbike ( and you are unlicensed if you don't have a motorbike licence ) , so a few thousand $ in fines and enough points to lose your licence. If you hurt someone then criminal charges can be added to that list .

Go for a mainstream bike that has reasonable local dealer support - so that depends what part of the apple isle you live in. So specialized, merida , giant / their female version liv.

You mention step through - is that essential? You will struggle to find a well suspended step through and they tend to not be as stiff / rugged - that will become relevant when you discover the joys of mountain bike riding at derby etc.....

In that price range, giant/ liv is probably your best option - look for a 2020 model with the syncdrive pro motor ( yamaha pwx ) if you want the most torque . I think giant are about to release their 2021 range because 2020 bikes have just started dropping in price - including a few trances in that pride range recently - not what you're looking for but food for thought. Unfortunately giant dealers are nit allowed to ship their bikes - there were some huge savings this week at Melbourne stores with shops realising they were heading back into lock down. Your local dealer may be able to ship stock over? Eg https://www.bikeexchange.com.au/a/e...m-e-2-electric-assist-mountain-bike/105777443

For Tas , start here

The meridas are good value if you can live with a shimano motor (slightly less torque but still pkenty) , and whilst an external battery isn't sexy, it's VERY convenient

The norco scene has an even less agressive shimano motor but it's a nice and stiff frame for a step through, the 27.5 wheels can take more dirt oriented tyres, and being an old fashioned QR front wheel you can swap in wheels from older bikes to switch between road and dirt use. My wife has their non ebike version, it's been great.

Within reason, you can change the seating position of most bikes with higher stems / stem risers / higher bars - so don't be afraid of a mtb eg giant fathom or stance, even a trance if you can find one at that price.

Last edited:
Australian ebike laws are clear - 25 kph limit to assistance plus power is limited to 250 watevers ( which has zero relevance to how much torque or how powerful the bike feels , so ignore exaggerated watter claims from online sale / illegal imports etc. ) - if you are riding an illegal ebike then you are riding an u registered unroadworthy motorbike ( and you are unlicensed if you don't have a motorbike licence ) , so a few thousand $ in fines and enough points to lose your licence. If you hurt someone then criminal charges can be added to that list .

Go for a mainstream bike that has reasonable local dealer support - so that depends what part of the apple isle you live in. So specialized, merida , giant / their female version liv.

You mention step through - is that essential? You will struggle to find a well suspended step through and they tend to not be as stiff / rugged - that will become relevant when you discover the joys of mountain bike riding at derby etc.....

In that price range, giant/ liv is probably your best option - look for a 2020 model with the syncdrive pro motor ( yamaha pwx ) if you want the most torque . I think giant are about to release their 2021 range because 2020 bikes have just started dropping in price - including a few trances in that pride range recently - not what you're looking for but food for thought. Unfortunately giant dealers are nit allowed to ship their bikes - there were some huge savings this week at Melbourne stores with shops realising they were heading back into lock down. Your local dealer may be able to ship stock over? Eg https://www.bikeexchange.com.au/a/e...m-e-2-electric-assist-mountain-bike/105777443

For Tas , start here

The meridas are good value if you can live with a shimano motor (slightly less torque but still pkenty) , and whilst an external battery isn't sexy, it's VERY convenient

The norco scene has an even less agressive shimano motor but it's a nice and stiff frame for a step through, the 27.5 wheels can take more dirt oriented tyres, and being an old fashioned QR front wheel you can swap in wheels from older bikes to switch between road and dirt use. My wife has their non ebike version, it's been great.

Within reason, you can change the seating position of most bikes with higher stems / stem risers / higher bars - so don't be afraid of a mtb eg giant fathom or stance, even a trance if you can find one at that price.

Good advice, thanks. Not much stock around, so far have found a Focus Planet2 6.8 (Trapez) (? on the Impulse motor) and a Kalkhoff Integrale Advance i10 (Trapez Frame, Bosche CX motor) both in my $ range, both in Vic. there is only one Giant for sale in Tas beyond my range.

For Tas , start here

The 2021 Stance has dropped onto the US site, and it comes with a bigger battery 625 Wh, but still has the Sport motor. It's an E+ 1, but no price listed yet.
When I bought my Fathom, I discounted the Stance for a few reasons, including the "too small" 400 Wh battery. I would have given the Stance a long look equipped like that.

Nothing on the Canadian or Australian sites showing MY2021 yet in mountain bikes.

Good advice, thanks. Not much stock around, so far have found a Focus Planet2 6.8 (Trapez) (? on the Impulse motor) and a Kalkhoff Integrale Advance i10 (Trapez Frame, Bosche CX motor) both in my $ range, both in Vic. there is only one Giant for sale in Tas beyond my range.

If you're tempted by the focus, have a think about the norco vlt from my link above . Those flimsy 32 mm 100 mm travel forks pn the focus are hardly worth having , and you could probably retro fit some better forks onto the norco for the difference in price if you decide it's needed. I've got to say I'm not a fan of qr axles with forks - they're just not stiff enough so you get stiction and unpredictable response at the times when you really need reliable suspension ( eg breaking on corrugations ) . I'm possibly a bit fussy here - coming from a motorbike and mountain bike background.

Ps I've been surprised at how well my wifes norco scene copes with moderate dirt ( gravel rail trails and 2wd gravel ) . Just quietly it jumps surprisingly well for a non suspended bike, but don't tell her......

2000 kn , 3 closed state borders and bass straight away. After sales service might be a challenge?

Hint -think of Tasmania the same way you guys think of Hawaii - a little island overseas that's part of the country so you don't need a visa for holidays

Last edited:
I guess it really depends what you're looking for in terms of trails but if a step-through is essential I would have a look at a SmartMotion X-City. If you can manage the frame (and can still get hold of one) then the SmartMotion Catalyst is really tempting for the money (and I ride an NCM so it's not like I have a vested interest).

Back