Trike short list and why...

Gfmucci

After a couple of months of research, deciding the features that are "must haves" and those that aren't, here is a list of what I discounted and what remains an option in the fat e-trike category:

Emojo trike (Caddy): Single speed. I prefer at least 5. Many outlets claim 7 speeds. Manufacturer claims all available are single speed. Motor cut off and parking brake.
Go Plus: Single speed. It has fenders on all 3 wheels, brakes both rear wheels, only 10 amp hour battery. Price is great.
RMB EV Libert-e: Single speed, rear diff (both wheels driven) fenders all around
Volt trike "Trio": The rear brake lever only brakes one rear wheel. And it is out of stock for the foreseeable future.
Electrictrike.com: 750-watt motor, 7 speed, but brakes on only one rear wheel, one small front fender
Addmotor 350: One small front fender, only brakes one rear wheel, and it costs more than I want to spend.
Addmotor 330: No fenders, it DOES brake both rear wheels, only 500-watt motor, only 10.4 a/h battery, slightly more than I want to spend.
FT1900 and X: 750-watt motor, 16 amp/hr battery, one small front fender, rear braking wheels not stated. Suspect (deceitful??) difficult communication. Suspect sales tactics. They insist on bank routing number and account number despite offering to take charge cards which they ultimately refuse to accept. Mobility 4 Less, aka Epicsontech. Terrible experience attempting to order.

BPM Imports T-950A: 750-watt motor, 13 amp/hr battery, fenders on all three wheels, front shocks, 6-speed shifter, but no motor shut off on brake levers and no parking brake. Hit or miss communications with the seller, but most online retailers seem to be similar. This is sold either direct or through Amazon for $100 more.

The Raleigh, Pedego, E-wheels, and Liberty trikes either lack power/speed or don't have the "look" I'm after. Recumbents and tadpoles lack cargo capacity.

Would you pay $100 for a bike purchased through Amazon vs. direct from the importer?

All opinions welcome.

Last edited:
At least with Amazon you have a direct route for returns or refunds if the bike is damaged when you get it. They also play middle man when dealing with the vendor.

You trying to torture him Mike? Pretty soon he will have researched every trike on earth! Lol
There is not enough info on that website to make any type of judgement, that's why they weren't considered. I might have to start researching trikes on other planets, though.

After a couple of months of research, deciding the features that are "must haves" and those that aren't, here is a list of what I discounted and what remains an option in the fat e-trike category:

Emojo trike (Caddy): Single speed. I need at least 5.
Go Plus: Single speed. It has fenders on all 3 wheels, brakes both rear wheels, only 10 amp hour battery. Price is great.
RMB EV Libert-e: Single speed, rear diff (both wheels driven) fenders all around
Volt trike "Trio": The rear brake lever only brakes one rear wheel. And it is out of stock for the foreseeable future.
Electrictrike.com: 750-watt motor, 7 speed, but brakes on only one rear wheel, one small front fender
Addmotor 350: One small front fender, only brakes one rear wheel, and it costs more than I want to spend.
Addmotor 330: No fenders, it DOES brake both rear wheels, only 500-watt motor, only 10.4 a/h battery, slightly more than I want to spend.
FT1900: 750-watt motor, 16 amp/hr battery, one small front fender, rear braking wheels not stated, BUT no communications with the seller - Mobility 4 Less, aka Epicsontech

The following appears to be my best option if I bite the bullet and trust the seller:
BPM Imports T-950A: 750-watt motor, 13 amp/hr battery, fenders on all three wheels, front shocks, 6-speed shifter. Hit or miss communications with the seller, but most online retailers seem to be similar. This is sold either direct or through Amazon for $100 more.

The Raleigh, Pedego, E-wheels, and Liberty trikes either lack power/speed or don't have the "look" I'm after. Recumbents and tadpoles lack cargo capacity.

Would you pay $100 for a bike purchased through Amazon vs. direct from the importer?

All opinions welcome.

Considering your "short list" and as long as you don't mind the 24" front tire I would go with the electrictrike.com first and foremost because of the company (US made and easy to contact) and price. Unless it is for looks a front fender is sufficient for functionality. While it might seem like a short coming most all of these trikes only pedal the right wheel which makes the left wheel brake less important. Also, the electrictrike has a "parking lock" which is a nice feature. It also has a lockout on its suspension. Obviously it is very similar to the Addmotor M-350 but at a much cheaper price although you do pay for shipping. Electrictrike does run sales (10% off at times so you could save a few bucks). With the BPM Imports -- what do you know about the company? or the trike? There are no reviews on Amazon or on their site. Call up electrictrike and ask them about what you see as their shortcomings...see what they say. My 2 cents. Dave

Considering your "short list" and as long as you don't mind the 24" front tire I would go with the electrictrike.com first and foremost because of the company (US made and easy to contact) and price. Unless it is for looks a front fender is sufficient for functionality. While it might seem like a short coming most all of these trikes only pedal the right wheel which makes the left wheel brake less important. Also, the electrictrike has a "parking lock" which is a nice feature. It also has a lockout on its suspension. Obviously it is very similar to the Addmotor M-350 but at a much cheaper price although you do pay for shipping. Electrictrike does run sales (10% off at times so you could save a few bucks). With the BPM Imports -- what do you know about the company? or the trike? There are no reviews on Amazon or on their site. Call up electrictrike and ask them about what you see as their shortcomings...see what they say. My 2 cents. Dave
The company is American, but pretty sure nothing on the trike is. All Chinese electrical components and all the trikes are purchased and brought in to install the components. Not sure of where all the trikes are made. Some of the electrical components are very basic. I know the Fat Trike and the Fat Tad both have speedometer readings that go to zero when you are coasting. Speed readings come back on if the cadence sensor is activated or throttle is used.

The company is American, but pretty sure nothing on the trike is. All Chinese electrical components and all the trikes are purchased and brought in to install the components. Not sure of where all the trikes are made. Some of the electrical components are very basic. I know the Fat Trike and the Fat Tad both have speedometer readings that go to zero when you are coasting. Speed readings come back on if the cadence sensor is activated or throttle is used.

RIch
You make a good point. The frame certainly looks like the M-350 which is made in China and the components are the same with maybe different wattage on the motor: Bafang, Altus Shimano derailleur, Tektro disc brakes, etc. However, you can call them up and discuss any problems you are having with any component and they will send you a new one if needed within a good timeframe e.g. motor or battery which are your big money items. I am sure Addmotor would respond but it would probably take more time comparatively since it is primarily through email although they were rather quick when I ordered a second battery for the M-330. I just wanted it for long trips.

However when you look at Goplus, BPM imports, etc how are they going to help you out or respond to you.. The FT1900 from epzontech is an interesting choice since they indicate they back up the "factory warranty" with the National Repair Company but the FT-1900 is not listed as an item the NRC covers on their site. http://www.nationalrepaircompany.com/what-we-repair/ Their trike looks a lot like the M-350 and the electrictrike.

I think gfmucci will have to pull the trigger on something or set this effort up on the shelf and come back to it later when there may be more choices. BTW Rich I haven't seen your recommendation, just your concerns. Help gfmucci out with some more thoughts on the issue :cool:

I'm glad I'm not able to pull the trigger until after we relocate in two weeks. This has given me time to learn a lot and get a bunch of great personal experiences from each of you. Concerning National Repair Company touted by Epzontech, I went to NRC's web site. It looks as shallow as a shell company. Are they even legit? Any experience with them? Frankly, the impression I got was that NRC was a creation of Epzontech to give the impression that they had a repair company behind them. Can anyone help me overcome my paranoia on that front?

Last edited:
RIch
You make a good point. The frame certainly looks like the M-350 which is made in China and the components are the same with maybe different wattage on the motor: Bafang, Altus Shimano derailleur, Tektro disc brakes, etc. However, you can call them up and discuss any problems you are having with any component and they will send you a new one if needed within a good timeframe e.g. motor or battery which are your big money items. I am sure Addmotor would respond but it would probably take more time comparatively since it is primarily through email although they were rather quick when I ordered a second battery for the M-330. I just wanted it for long trips.

However when you look at Goplus, BPM imports, etc how are they going to help you out or respond to you.. The FT1900 from epzontech is an interesting choice since they indicate they back up the "factory warranty" with the National Repair Company but the FT-1900 is not listed as an item the NRC covers on their site. http://www.nationalrepaircompany.com/what-we-repair/ Their trike looks a lot like the M-350 and the electrictrike.

I think gfmucci will have to pull the trigger on something or set this effort up on the shelf and come back to it later when there may be more choices. BTW Rich I haven't seen your recommendation, just your concerns. Help gfmucci out with some more thoughts on the issue :cool:
No question, fantastic company. Just don’t want others to think they manufacture trikes. Assembled in America would be the best description. My first Fat Tad from them arrived in a crushed box, only one strap still partially holding it on the pallet. They immediately sent another through a different shipper. Quick to respond to a bad cadence sensor as well. They are also quick to post videos on setup and programming techniques.

No question, fantastic company. Just don’t want others to think they manufacture trikes. Assembled in America would be the best description. My first Fat Tad from them arrived in a crushed box, only one strap still partially holding it on the pallet. They immediately sent another through a different shipper. Quick to respond to a bad cadence sensor as well. They are also quick to post videos on setup and programming techniques.

Rich
It's not all from China or elsewhere---most of their trikes are built and not just assembled in the USA. The main company is Electric Bike Technologies (EBT) in PA. I have the LibertyTrike and their battery and motor are built inhouse by EBT and their frame is built down the road by a sister company, Workman. The other parts are familiar. However, they seem to have lost their main engineer, Alec Burney, at least his name hasn't popped up in recent months. On the other hand, the fat tad (which you purchased) is made by Sun Seeker (not sure where they are made) and converted to an electric trike by Electric Bike Technologies (they make the electrictrike as well). The electrictrike is the only one which is primarily from China but EBT is involved in supporting the trike wherever it is made. They do live up to their reputation as you well know. Hopefully this is all helpful to gfmucci or others in the same search.

Last edited:
Sure enough, the BPM Imports dealer said his trikes don't come with a parking brake, which I find hard to fathom since it is such a cheap part of the handbrake hardware to implement. But then he also said trikes don't usually come with a parking brake, which I also find odd. So he either doesn't know his product or it is true about his trikes.

My next question that I just sent him is do his trikes' brakes have a motor cutoff.

If it does, I'm left with a choice between a trike with no parking brake but rear brakes that stop BOTH rear wheels, or one with a parking brake but stops only one rear wheel. I prefer the former because clamping down a brake lever is an easier work around than rigging both rear wheels to brake. Clamping a brake lever with bungee reminds me of wrapping a rope around a hitching post so the horse doesn't wander off.

I presume the electrictrike.com fat tire trike has both a parking brake AND motor cutoff when brake is engaged, correct?

Sure enough, the BPM Imports dealer said his trikes don't come with a parking brake, which I find hard to fathom since it is such a cheap part of the handbrake hardware to implement. But then he also said trikes don't usually come with a parking brake, which I also find odd. So he either doesn't know his product or it is true about his trikes.

My next question that I just sent him is do his trikes' brakes have a motor cutoff.

If it does, I'm left with a choice between a trike with no parking brake but rear brakes that stop BOTH rear wheels, or one with a parking brake but stops only one rear wheel. I prefer the former because clamping down a brake lever is an easier work around than rigging both rear wheels to brake. Clamping a brake lever with bungee reminds me of wrapping a rope around a hitching post so the horse doesn't wander off.

I presume the electrictrike.com fat tire trike has both a parking brake AND motor cutoff when brake is engaged, correct?

You're right, electrictrike.com has both. Addmotor does not have the parking brake either. I haven't found it to be a problem since I just turn the front wheel but it would be handy at times.

My wife who is handicapped, uses the parking brake when she gets on and off the trike to keep it stable.

My wife who is handicapped, uses the parking brake when she gets on and off the trike to keep it stable.

It makes sense depending on the level of your handicap. I have neuropathy of the lower extremities and use a cane/walker to get around. Among the three of my e-trikes I have the LibertyTrike which has a parking brake but I haven't noticed a difference in getting on/off the LT or my other etrikes which don't have the parking brake. In part it may be what you are used to but for your wife, it may be a necessity. In any case, I would prefer the parking brake not necessarily for getting on or off but for making it easier to park. Except in instances such as your wife however, it should not be a deal breaker unless we are looking at identical etrikes with the only exception being the parking brake.

Etrikes already have a level of stability because they have 3 wheels but don't have a kickstand and potentially can roll away. A parking brake is a nice touch or just place a wheel chock behind the back wheel which I have available but haven't found the need to use very often. Getting on and off is a different story unless you attach a long string to the wheel chock and after you get on pull it away :cool: If you really like the etrike and it doesn't have the parking brake you can work around it. Another nice feature the LibertyTrike has is reverse. However, the LT doesn't have power assist which is a major flaw. Various things to consider when you purchase an etrike as we know.

Last edited:
BPM Imports trike has neither parking brake nor motor cutoff. Looks like electrictrike.com is the new contender.

Oh oh oh. I went to https://www.mountaintrikeusa.com/our-bikes/ and watched the video of the plumber riding an e-trike thru the snow. We deserve a discount for being subjected to that. Jeez. They do seem to know their trikes though.

Been trying to get a person I know to start riding on a trike again. Probably a convert Schwinn meridian with a little motor. She could run it on her husband's lawnmower battery. We'd buy a good battery if it worked out for her.

I have little need for fat tires, but if I did, something like this is around $700 for 3 speeds, parking brake and band brake in rear. I'd get a front direct drive motor for $200, and add a small battery for a 15 mph bike. Maybe three of Grin's 36V 2.5AH 100WH sticks in parallel. Very safe. I'd put reverse switch on it too. Anyway, that's my perspective. Trikes are low tech to me. You don't need a lot of power. Just need to always run.
trike.jpg

I am still a little confused on the rear brakes.
I found this video that made me think that when you have a center rear disc brake it would be stopping both wheels using the axle itself. You saying that if I put the trike up on blocks and spin the wheels only one side will brake. That just sounds crazy to me. I am not in the market now but in ten years seeing a trike so I can keep riding very possible. Always learning. Thanks.

BPM Imports trike has neither parking brake nor motor cutoff. Looks like electrictrike.com is the new contender.

As I am sure I have said previously electrike.com would have been my first choice except for the 24" front tire and higher step-thru than the M-330 although I am not at all disappointed with the M-330 and it is more than exceeded my expectations. In your case, the electrictrike.com is a no brainer for you based on what you want in your etrike. Fortunately, you have a few weeks to see if a new contender rises to the top before you pull the trigger. Also, electrictrike.com may have a 4th of July sale...so timing may be perfect.

Last edited:
Yes, so far electrictrike.com appears to be #1 in the running. And thanks also for the tip about the potential sale.

Next I want to find out if a higher a/h battery is or will be available, how "universal" are replacements and for what price.

Last edited:
Back