[Tip] Yamaha PW - How to check the number of cycles & absolute battery capacity

JayVee

Region
USA
I thought I would share this tip because it’s useful when buying a second hand bike. It applies to the frame battery of the PW series drives.

By pressing down the button on the battery for a given amount of time, you can obtain information about:
  • The number of cycles: this tells you how many times the battery has been fully charged.
  • The absolute battery capacity: tells you how much energy storage capacity the battery has lost since it was new. A new battery has an absolute battery capacity of 100%, whereas a battery that has lost 26% of its energy capacity will have an absolute battery capacity of 74%. The absolute battery capacity is expressed in 25% increments.
Determining the number of battery cycles

The leds are assigned numbers in the following order:

4 ---- (F)
3 ---
2 --
1 - (E)

Press the button on your battery for 20 seconds. The following led combinations give you the number of cycles:

Led 1 Blinking: 0 to 100 cycles
Led 1 On: 101 to 200 cycles

Led 1, 2 Blinking: 201 to 300 cycles
Led 1, 2 On: 301 to 400 cycles

Led 1, 2, 3 Blinking: 401 to 500 cycles
Led 1, 2, 3 On: 501 to 600 cycles

Led 1, 2, 3, 4 Blinking: 601 to 700 cycles
Let 1, 2, 3, 4 On: 701 or more cycles

Note: A new battery should only have led 1 blinking.

Determining the absolute battery capacity

The leds are ordered in the same manner as for the previous test.

Press the button on your battery for 30 seconds. The following led combinations give you the absolute capacity:

Led 1 on: 0 to 24 % capacity
Led 1, 2 on: 25% to 49% capacity
Led 1, 2, 3 on: 50 to 74% capacity
Led 1, 2, 3, 4 on: 75 to 100% capacity

Note: A new battery should have all 4 leds turned on.

Last edited:
Will be nice people showing the stats and then you can get an estimate how long the battery last. If you can get 3 years its good i think.
You would think it would be easier to show numbers in display ?

Mine's almost new, it shows 0 to 100 cycles and an absolute battery capacity of 75 to 100%. I'm curious to see after how many cycles the absolute battery capacity will drop under 75%.

I'm now at 3300 kilometers ridden and have between 101 to 200 cycles (1st light is solid).

Absolutely battery capacity is still between 75 and 100% (4 solids bars displayed).

Anyone seen a way to read the kilometers ridden with the LED display? Have checked the service manual but could not find any info.

5200 kilometres on the bike:

- Absolute battery capacity 100% (or to be more precise, somewhere between 75 and 100%)
- I have leds 1 and 2 blinking, whereas a week ago only 1 was blinking. So I have roughly 200 cycles.

I've figured out that 1 partial charge = 1 cycle.

Anyone know if there is any way to check this on a Bosch battery system?

Any Bosch certified dealer can connect to your bike and see a whole bunch of information related to your motor, battery, cycles, temperature, speed etc.
If they print the service document, it will show the # of cycles on your battery.

Any Bosch certified dealer can connect to your bike and see a whole bunch of information related to your motor, battery, cycles, temperature, speed etc.
If they print the service document, it will show the # of cycles on your battery.

I'm curious about battery cycles.
When a battery is fully charged after a full discharge or fully charged after a 25-50% discharge, do these count a full cycles?
I have pulled the charger at 80% several times when I knew I wouldn't need a full charge for my next ride, another full cycle?
My impression of the Li-ion battery packs is that they prefer a wide range of use to charge, draw them down then fill them up.
But that doesn't always match real life use.
No other way to evaluate other than the dealer hookup and software?
Bosch dealers in my area decline to work on bikes they did not sell.

I'm curious about battery cycles.
When a battery is fully charged after a full discharge or fully charged after a 25-50% discharge, do these count a full cycles?
I have pulled the charger at 80% several times when I knew I wouldn't need a full charge for my next ride, another full cycle?
My impression of the Li-ion battery packs is that they prefer a wide range of use to charge, draw them down then fill them up.
But that doesn't always match real life use.
No other way to evaluate other than the dealer hookup and software?
Bosch dealers in my area decline to work on bikes they did not sell.

It's hard to say.
When I updated my bike, I got to see the document and it clearly mentioned less # of cycles and I think it is because I never let it go below 1 bar and stop charging as it hits the 5th bar.
What % range accounts for 1 full charge, it is hard to say but if you are not doing deep charging/discharging, you will get few more cycles of life and this I can say from my experience so far.
So, my battery hasn't showed any sign of capacity loss even after 5000 miles. I alternate b/w 400pack and 500 pack.

After about 20 months and about 3,500 miles on my Haibike AllMtn Plus:

* between 101 and 200 cycles (LED 1 on)
* absolute battery capacity between 75% and 100% (all four LED's on)

I wish the information were more fine-grained. It would be great if the LCD would display actual number of cycles and actual percentage of battery capacity.

After about 20 months and about 3,500 miles on my Haibike AllMtn Plus:

* between 101 and 200 cycles (LED 1 on)
* absolute battery capacity between 75% and 100% (all four LED's on)

I wish the information were more fine-grained. It would be great if the LCD would display actual number of cycles and actual percentage of battery capacity.

I agree. The Absolute battery capacity between 75 and 100% drives me nuts.

You’ve managed a lot of mileage for few cycles. I only get 35-40 kilometers on a charge due to hills, lights on all the time, and 45km/h drive. So I haven’t been as efficient as you in keeping down the number of cycles.

9750 kilometers:

- 400 cycles
- Absolute battery capacity still between 75% and 100%
- Ownership: roughly 14 months

After about 2 years and about 4,500 miles on my 2016 Haibike AllMtn Plus:
  • between 201 and 300 cycles (LED's 1 and 2 blinking)
  • absolute battery capacity between 75% and 100% (all four LED's on)
In an effort to get more precise information I used a multimeter to measure voltage:
  • When battery is 100% charged, the voltage measured 41.1 volts
My understanding is that a new 36V (nominal) battery should read 42 volts when fully charged. Please correct me if I'm wrong. (My battery is a Yamaha Model X0R-00, 36V 11Ah.)

All in all, not bad for two years, considering that I have not babied it. At first I would simply use the supplied charger to 100%. Lately, I have been using a timer to charge to approximately 80%. I cannot use a Grin Tech Satiator because they do not have the appropriate adapter for Yamaha batteries.

I estimate that I have lost about 5 to 10% of my range compared to when the battery was new. My range was about 40 miles of mixed terrain (mostly asphalt, some dirt, downhills, uphills, level terrain, light crosswind, into a moderate wind, and with a moderate wind, upright riding position, with panniers and heavy professional photographic equipment), using the HIGH level of assist. Now I get about 36 to 38 miles on the same route.

Last edited:
Back