[Tip] Yamaha PW - How to check the number of cycles & absolute battery capacity

My Shimano e8000's report after 14 months and 50 charge cycles gives a specific report on remaining capacity as 97%. I can live with 3% loss per year!

My Shimano e8000's report after 14 months and 50 charge cycles gives a specific report on remaining capacity as 97%. I can live with 3% loss per year!

I’ve been suspecting that the capacity is slowly going away, in small increments as what you mention in your case. But I’m amazed at how well the battery has kept up considering what I’ve thrown at it. I’ve often charged twice a day.

I'm curious about battery cycles.
When a battery is fully charged after a full discharge or fully charged after a 25-50% discharge, do these count a full cycles?
I have pulled the charger at 80% several times when I knew I wouldn't need a full charge for my next ride, another full cycle?
My impression of the Li-ion battery packs is that they prefer a wide range of use to charge, draw them down then fill them up.
But that doesn't always match real life use.
No other way to evaluate other than the dealer hookup and software?
Bosch dealers in my area decline to work on bikes they did not sell.

"Bosch dealers in my area decline to work on bikes they did not sell".[/QUOTE]-

I was not aware that any dealer would reject an owner with a Bosch motor. That is just bad for business all the way around. So if you/I have a Bosch powered bike, and I relocate to where you live, those dealers will outright reject service?? Makes no sense to me at all!

Is this some kind of Bosch policy or an individual company policy instituted by the bike dealership? Anyone?

"Bosch dealers in my area decline to work on bikes they did not sell".
-

I was not aware that any dealer would reject an owner with a Bosch motor. That is just bad for business all the way around. So if you/I have a Bosch powered bike, and I relocate to where you live, those dealers will outright reject service?? Makes no sense to me at all!

Is this some kind of Bosch policy or an individual company policy instituted by the bike dealership? Anyone?[/QUOTE]

I wish it wasn't so but the dealers in my region are extremely territorial to the point of turning away work.
They don't provide support for bikes they didn't sell.
There aren't many in my region and they mostly sell at Retail.
The best shop I've found is the local REI who will happily work on any bike's mechanics.
So far, my Bosch drive system is doing quite well.
I have upgraded to the Nyon controller and that gives me the ability to do software upgrades.
Best solution for me.

-

Is this some kind of Bosch policy or an individual company policy instituted by the bike dealership? Anyone?

Thanks for the heads up. Yeah, REI seem to be some really great ppl to work with. Super friendly and they will take the time with a customer's boring questions without a sales pitch in the mix.

Glad your Bosch is doing well. I just would not give my business to these shops, simply for not wanting to help the consumer, but that is just me. Being territorial in any business is just counter-productive to helping your business grow. All very strange IMO.
BTW- Love the Nyon interface. Looks like the best unit out to date for E-bikes.

Last edited:
I’ve got 300-400 cycles and 75-100% health. I purchased my bike in 2015 and have driven it almost every day since then. About 20k kilometeres this far. It’s not probably crazy to think that the battery will last for another 20k and 4 years. And also: my bike is tuned to go up to 45km/h, 20km/h over the designed top speed (could affect the wear on battery since assist is on a lot more).

After 3 years and 7,000 miles on my 2016 Haibike AllMtn Plus:
  • between 301 and 400 cycles (LED's 1 and 2 on).
  • absolute battery capacity between 75% and 100% (all four LED's on), same as one year ago. Of course, it might be that after the first year it was 95%, after the second 90%, and now 85%, but the readout does not give me that level of detail.
  • When battery is 100% charged, the voltage measured 40.8 volts. For reference, my understanding is that a new 36V (nominal) battery should read 42 volts when fully charged.
  • My range in mixed terrain has decreased to about 35 miles using the HIGH level of assist. Last year it was about 38 miles. When the bike was new it was 40 miles. This is all over the same route.
All in all I think my battery is aging gracefully.

Thanks guys. I recently bought an unsold 2017 Haibike/Yamaha with 500 Wh you give me hope. At 3,300 kms it is trouble free. 1 rider felt at 2,000 miles the sound level was less than new. What about your experience with Yamaha?

Last edited:
-

I wish it wasn't so but the dealers in my region are extremely territorial to the point of turning away work.
They don't provide support for bikes they didn't sell.
There aren't many in my region and they mostly sell at Retail.
The best shop I've found is the local REI who will happily work on any bike's mechanics.
So far, my Bosch drive system is doing quite well.
I have upgraded to the Nyon controller and that gives me the ability to do software upgrades.
Best solution for me.[/QUOTE]

"The best shop I've found is the local REI who will happily work on any bike's mechanics".-Quote

FYI- I also found out recently that Erik's Bike Shop will work on any bikes including E-bikes they have not sold to the consumer. I would be likely to give them my business and receive service from them as well.

Thanks guys. I recently bought an unsold 2017 Haibike/Yamaha with 500 Wh you give me hope. At 3,300 kms it is trouble free. 1 rider felt at 2,000 miles the sound level was less than new. What about your experience with Yamaha?

The sound level on my Yamaha (Haibike Sduro) is just about the same as new at approx 1000 miles.

I also have a 500 Wh and get way more kms/charge than your average. Have you noticed that you are getting less than you did? My owners manual says i can expect 500-750 cycles so your 600 is positive but maybe your low average of kms/charge is due to wind? lots of climbing? Generaly i consider time, i have no clue about elevation. Depending on assit level i get 3-5 hours, average 60 kms/charge. Thanks.

I also have a 500 Wh and get way more kms/charge than your average. Have you noticed that you are getting less than you did? My owners manual says i can expect 500-750 cycles so your 600 is positive but maybe your low average of kms/charge is due to wind? lots of climbing? Generaly i consider time, i have no clue about elevation. Depending on assit level i get 3-5 hours, average 60 kms/charge. Thanks.

I have the 45 km/h version, PW-45. I’m around 100 kilos and have tons of hills and lots of wind. Other riders living in the same place as me with the same bike also report about 40 kilometers as an average. I only use 80% of the battery, so add 20% if you want. :)

Now over 700 cycles and 21,000 kilometers. Works just fine.

I have the 45 km/h version, PW-45. I’m around 100 kilos and have tons of hills and lots of wind. Other riders living in the same place as me with the same bike also report about 40 kilometers as an average. I only use 80% of the battery, so add 20% if you want. :)

Now over 700 cycles and 21,000 kilometers. Works just fine.
Thanks a lot. Here we are max at 32 that sure makes a difference. :cool:

21020 kilometers, absolute battery capacity still between 75 and 100%.

The cycles are no longer "countable" because I have more than 700 cycles.

Back