Throttle questions...

I'm going to throw in another perspective. I am handicapped with Muscular dystrophy and I can notice very minute differences in how much strength I need because I don't have much. We have a hill nearby that is quite steep. When I am in pas5 I can definitely pedal easier but when I get near the crest I still usually have to add the throttle and it makes up the difference. Maybe they set the throttle parameter higher. Also you can slowly roll on the throttle while using any Pas setting, we usually use Pas1 and if I get to a quick hill I only give enough throttle to take some of the effort away, I still maintain my pedaling because I do want the exercise. I like the variability that the throttle gives allowing you to challenge yourself on inclines but still maintain a pace. My thoughts are the pas settings are all designed to cut off at progressively higher speeds but the throttle can give a true maximum.

Well, after 250 miles, I'm still learning about pedal assist and what it does...

Today's ride showed me a new feature...here I was, zipping along in sixth gear up a gradual grade at say, 18mph in Pas 3, and I let off on the pedals, but kept slowly pedalling...well, the Pas kept up the speed without my effort! Everybody else may have figured this out, but it was new to me.

Of course, as soon as I stopped pedalling, the watts fell to zero, but as,long as I kept rotating, the motor put out! Maybe that's why I ended 27 mi. with only two out of five battery bars, but I was chasing a thunderstorm, or rather it ended up chasing me...got home just before it let loose, with only a few drops on me!

All your crank sensor knows is that it is being pedaled so the assist will kick in. Ours also has a motor meter gauge, so you can see that the more pedal effort you give directly affects how much motor power is being used. The extra meter can help you push harder to keep your motor from working as hard.

The Rad bikes have a real time display showing the amount of watts the motor is pulling at any given moment. How does that compare to "motor meter gauge"? Is that the same as what you are talking about, or something different?

I guess I'm not sure either lol. This is my first one too but my motor has 5 power bars similar to the battery bars. The goal is to not have any motor bars lit by pedaling harder. If all five motor bars are lit then it is using the most power.

Got it! Was scratching my head on that one. What brand bike are you on?

Today's ride showed me a new feature...here I was, zipping along in sixth gear up a gradual grade at say, 18mph in Pas 3, and I let off on the pedals, but kept slowly pedalling...well, the Pas kept up the speed without my effort! Everybody else may have figured this out, but it was new to me
This is what some people call "ghost pedaling." There are other terms for it but that's pretty common. Just FYI, in case it comes up in conversation. ;)

Rad Rower bikes suggest that you do not use level assist 5 for hills above 15% grade. With that being said, full throttle on the Rover is the same as using Level assist 5. As Bruce mentioned it is all about load. Full throttle with extreme load over a period of time generates high level of heat in the motor windings which degrades the motor winding thus causing permanent damage.

Now if your using the throttle at an output under 500 watts you should be okay.
I have presumed that this caution was to guard against extended usage > 500 watts, to not generate more heat than can be dissipated, not to never go over 500 watts. And it's easier for them to put it in these terms than to cite wattage/time combinations. If 500w truly was some "red line" then why is the capability to exceed even there in the first place?

There may also be some question about how long ago that advice was really considered necessary. With the constant up dates coming out/in use on their production bikes (e.g. the 2018 battery upgrade), that advice might be do for an update as well?

I guess I'm not sure either lol. This is my first one too but my motor has 5 power bars similar to the battery bars. The goal is to not have any motor bars lit by pedaling harder. If all five motor bars are lit then it is using the most power.
Ha! Sounds like built in incentive!

There may also be some question about how long ago that advice was really considered necessary. With the constant up dates coming out/in use on their production bikes (e.g. the 2018 battery upgrade), that advice might be do for an update as well?

true, ours are 2018 models that have been redone to a 48v 500w hub system new to this bike this year.

Back