Throttle kits

Rick May

Can a throttle kit be added to a Specialized or Haibike mountain bike? I'm not concerned about legality or warranty issues. I just want to know if there are kits out there and can these bikes accept them.

I can't answer the viability as to brand but in the USA throttles are legal. I'm amazed by what can be found by simple Google searches like ADDING THROTTLE HAIBIKE
Didn't watch...

Didn't watch...

I did and that video is about adding a thumb throttle to a trials bike and the reasons for it which actually made sense to me as I have a little experience riding that style. But has nothing to do with adding a throttle to any of the manufacturers mentioned by the OP.

In another thread here there is mention of "3 mph walking throttles" becoming available for Bosch systems. If they can make a throttle that will do 3 mph it is certainly possible to make it unrestricted as any e bike system is regulated by a controller. The fact that Brose, Bosch. Yamaha et al don't choose to include them in their controller schematic is mainly due to their commitment to PAS. There are mid drives that can be used with both PAS and throttle but at this time primarily in the DIY market.

Some enterprising hacker will no doubt come out with a solution but to my knowledge none have yet appeared.

If that was a jab for not doing my own searches, you should find a video that actually answers my question. But thanks for taking the time to post an irreverent video.
I can't answer the viability as to brand but in the USA throttles are legal. I'm amazed by what can be found by simple Google searches like ADDING THROTTLE HAIBIKE
Didn't watch...

If that was a jab for not doing my own searches, you should find a video that actually answers my question. But thanks for taking the time to post an irreverent video.
I never jab, I apologize if I gave that impression. I found several hits, some involved somewhat difficult mods to the controller. I did not watch the video. I simply went by the description, I'm sorry it wasn't relavent. I also do my best to avoid sarcastic responses and try my best to,be helpful.
Best of luck finding a solution.

Try looking at potentiometer type throttles. They MAY be an option. A cycle analyst, if it can be added can add a throttle. But after looking at all the Haibike possibilities, it will take more investigating. There are some god technical DIY guys on endless sphere Facebook. I've solved some boggling problems there. That dot com site is nearly impossible to search effectively and answer come slower there.

I have searched long for any info on installing a thumb or twist throttle on most of the production mid drives out there to no avail. I know there DIY builds out there with throttles and some in the 1000's of watts of HP.
I like the look of the purpose built E Bikes on the market. I just bought a Emotion Jumper Pro and Jet from ELV Motors in Santa Clara, Ca. (Excellent company and service.). I just really like the idea of a throttle on an E Bike. I rode the Jumper the other day over 20 miles and still had 90% battery since I only used it through intersections. On another ride to test it's range I was able to ride in max assist at max speed for 19 miles before the battery quit.

Have you tried ES FB? While DIY there's respect for, and riders of production bikes. At least a handful are engineers. It's quite different from dot com.

Not a trivial project. For sure, the user is cracking open the Bosch motor and probably soldering, which makes it a no go. I hear as far as Bosch is concerned, no one but the elves back at the factory can open their motors.

One would have to find the pedal sensor circuit inside the motor and mix in a similar signal generated from a black box throttle module. The electronics is feasible to me, but the implementation could be quite unwieldy. Probably couldn't make any money off it.

Not a trivial project. For sure, the user is cracking open the Bosch motor and probably soldering, which makes it a no go. I hear as far as Bosch is concerned, no one but the elves back at the factory can open their motors.

One would have to find the pedal sensor circuit inside the motor and mix in a similar signal generated from a black box throttle module. The electronics is feasible to me, but the implementation could be quite unwieldy. Probably couldn't make any money off it.
Thanks, As I'm finding it's not a plug and go.

So I'm finding there's no real plug and go kits for those type of mid drive systems.

Thanks, As I'm finding it's not a plug and go.

So I'm finding there's no real plug and go kits for those type of mid drive systems.
I was curious only because once upon a time a supported BBSxx builds and do no want a purpose built mid drive. My Favorite remain my 350W bikes.
As I wrote "I found several hits, some involved somewhat difficult mods to the controller." I spent another hour after posting on ES FB where some EU guys that mod bikes hangout. I came up with only jobs that require procedures that void warranties. That will push me away from a number of builds. I'm an older guy and sometimes get further out riding than I should have and the throttle has gotten me home.

I am also looking for a thumb throttle for my Yamaha Haibike.
Used to ride MX bikes and I would like to stabilize in corners while leaning to much for pedaling and through narrow rocky parts....would take it to the next level to keep momentum and beeing able to oversteer on power.

I think all of the mid-drive motors have internal controllers that are not throttle plug and play. Bafang is the huge exception. You would need to disassembly the motor and remove the PCB, then modify some solder points and add new points to the existing board, then you would need to hard wire some kind of breakout box to the PCB to connect the throttle wires to...have fun with that!

Back