Throttle from a dead stop?

Scotty S

Has anyone figured out how to remove/reprogram the throttle so it is active from a dead stop instead of having to pedal up to 6 miles an hour before it will activate. I know how to change speed limit to 60 kph but I want throttle from a dead stop!!

Thanks so much! Actually I haven't bought the bike yet so this is great news. I am leaning more towards the step thru now. I am sure it is the same!

Last edited:
55 bucks for the throttle option!!
Seriously I can buy the universal thumb throttle for around 6 bucks. I assume the plug is there in the wiring harness and the motor is already programmed for it so why so much??

55 bucks for the throttle option!!
Seriously I can buy the universal thumb throttle for around 6 bucks. I assume the plug is there in the wiring harness and the motor is already programmed for it so why so much??

That is correct, the plug is in the wiring harness (actually it is tucked away inside the downtube). If your universal throttle had the proper plug-end perhaps it would work. You could always try and if not, you can always order the $55 throttle from FLX. I believe no one answered your OP is because they assumed your bike did not have an active throttle and it was something new.

That is correct, the plug is in the wiring harness (actually it is tucked away inside the downtube). If your universal throttle had the proper plug-end perhaps it would work. You could always try and if not, you can always order the $55 throttle from FLX. I believe no one answered your OP is because they assumed your bike did not have an active throttle and it was something new.

I'm considering an FLX bike with an M600 as well.

So on all the currently shipping m600 bikes (step through and Trail) , the throttle works from a stop (which is key to assisting those with knee issues from a stop or slowed speed)?

Also, throttle only speed is limited to 20mph or can that be programmed to higher?

Just want to be clear on these issues.

Thank you

I'm considering an FLX bike with an M600 as well.

So on all the currently shipping m600 bikes (step through and Trail) , the throttle works from a stop (which is key to assisting those with knee issues from a stop or slowed speed)?

Also, throttle only speed is limited to 20mph or can that be programmed to higher?

Just want to be clear on these issues.

Thank you

Yes, the throttle works from a stop - at least my G3 Trail does and I use it just for that purpose. You can verify with FLX, but it will be shipped with a console that limits the speed at 20 or 28mph - your choice. It is not programmable. I checked with FLX regarding just that and they told me I could purchase the other (20mph) console ($55) if I wanted to change my bike from 28 to 20mph.

Has anyone figured out how to remove/reprogram the throttle so it is active from a dead stop instead of having to pedal up to 6 miles an hour before it will activate. I know how to change speed limit to 60 kph but I want throttle from a dead stop!!
I'm pretty certain this can't be done but I'm with you. Throttle from a dead stop is very useful for many riders and in my case it makes riding safer.

Actually the speed limit can be changed from 45kph to 60kph. Do a search on Google. Remove speed limiter on flx bikes. Flx even has a video on it!!
It is done from the console.
Pedaling your tail off will get you to 35mph!
Throttle only is actually 25mph. Raising the speed limit to 60kph does not change throttle only limit I don't think.

Oh and yes all current bikes I am pretty sure the throttle works from a dead stop. All bikes ship class 3 (fastest) unless you specify class 1 or 2 to FLX when you order!

Oh and yes all current bikes I am pretty sure the throttle works from a dead stop. All bikes ship class 3 (fastest) unless you specify class 1 or 2 to FLX when you order!

This from FLX support email I received yesterday:

--
Thank you for reaching out to FLX! Sorry we missed you on chat.
The M600 motors are equipped with the metal gears and do not have a brake sensor.
You must be going at least 6mph before the throttle will engage, everything on the Trail and Step-Through is pretty much the same, including the motor, LCD screen, shifters, gearing etc. The brakes are different though.
--

"Brake Sensor" here refers to motor cut-off switches on the brake levers I asked about (FLX apparently doesn't have them for some reason...) Many / most other e-bikes cut power to the motor when you grab the brake.

This from FLX support email I received yesterday:

--
Thank you for reaching out to FLX! Sorry we missed you on chat.
The M600 motors are equipped with the metal gears and do not have a brake sensor.
You must be going at least 6mph before the throttle will engage, everything on the Trail and Step-Through is pretty much the same, including the motor, LCD screen, shifters, gearing etc. The brakes are different though.
--

"Brake Sensor" here refers to motor cut-off switches on the brake levers I asked about (FLX apparently doesn't have them for some reason...) Many / most other e-bikes cut power to the motor when you grab the brake.

Torque sensor equipped motors do not need ebrake cuttoffs as the motor is instantly on or off when you start or stop pedaling. There is no lag like with a cadence sensor!
Also I do not think that email you got is fact for the Gen 3 bikes as far as throttle from a dead stop. A poster above has a trail and his throttle works from a dead stop?
Not knocking FLX but there is still a lot of outdated info on the web site.

I am pretty sure that mine starts from a stop too
but next time I’m on it I will confirm

I called and asked three or four questions to FLX and got the impression the sales people do not know much

Torque sensor equipped motors do not need ebrake cuttoffs as the motor is instantly on or off when you start or stop pedaling. There is no lag like with a cadence sensor!
Also I do not think that email you got is fact for the Gen 3 bikes as far as throttle from a dead stop. A poster above has a trail and his throttle works from a dead stop?
Not knocking FLX but there is still a lot of outdated info on the web site.

For sure the throttle on my G3 Trail works from a dead stop. I have found it is often easier to start from a dead stop using the throttle than peddle - much less wobble in difficult situations. BUT I have had my G3 since Feb, perhaps they have changed the configuration. IMHO, it would be unfortunate if they have. Additionally, I don't miss the fact that it has not got a brake cut off. In fact, I often find myself doing what I think of as "power braking" when manouveouring around objects at slower speeds. By this I mean, I am applying the brakes while still slowly applying power via the torque sensor in the pedals. I feel fully in control of the bike that way.

I sure hope they didn't change it back to the 6 mph before throttle works. I think bafang changed that because everyone complained about it. I actually think the 6mph thing is actually unsafe for getting out of the way at intersections!!

Just heard from a rep at FLX. She says throttle from a dead stop was implemented on the trail special edition and the other bikes have the 6mph bull crap!! Told me to consider buying a heavy blade to get throttle from stop lol. Like I want the heavy blade as a commuter/touring bike lol!
Hey Flash Gordon, is your trail the special edition.
Vincent still waiting to here from you

Mine is the light commuter bike? Not sure on the name

I am hoping to ride Sunday so will test it but thought I was using it to get the bike started some but will make sure this week

That really makes no sense what she said, first I did not think anyone had figured out anyway to program this motor, so how are they changing it? And if they are it should be easy to change on the other bikes...???

Back