Throttle from a dead stop?

I'm curious to hear how this will be accomplished, so please update us here as you learn the details.

It is still ambiguous to me if a Stepthrough is purchased now if it will already have this programming (ie not have the 6mph issue on throttle) or will need to be "patched" with the software etc...
FLX specifically told me the step thru now comes with the nonsense fixed. I got another reply saying they are going to try to fix the trail se this weekend. I am waiting for a reply on the roadster and how we get our hands on programming software.
I doubt a need for it if every bike gets fixed but the step thru is good to go they say!!

Received another reply from FLX. The step thru and roadster both ship with throttle from a dead stop. The trail SE they are going to work on this weekend!!

Last edited:
As a former Risk Manager, I can understand the safety aspect of not having the throttle "hot" when the bike is on. Especially after having had my bike get away from me once and had my hand pinned on the throttle as it wedged itself against a cabinet in my garage (I learned to make sure the bike was off when I was moving it around). It was my bad but that shows such a scenario could/does happen. I think with that in mind, for liability purposes, FLX would be well suited to put a warning with the throttle - which comes independent from the bike (at least mine did) - saying to be careful of the throttle when the bike is "on." I know we are all sick of these "warnings", but they would be doing their due diligence if some numbskull like me hurts themselves and goes after them, especially now that they have "reprogrammed" the bike to make it more user friendly, but, some lawyer would argue (they ARE in California, tort capital of the world), less safe.

As a former Risk Manager, I can understand the safety aspect of not having the throttle "hot" when the bike is on. Especially after having had my bike get away from me once and had my hand pinned on the throttle as it wedged itself against a cabinet in my garage (I learned to make sure the bike was off when I was moving it around). It was my bad but that shows such a scenario could/does happen. I think with that in mind, for liability purposes, FLX would be well suited to put a warning with the throttle - which comes independent from the bike (at least mine did) - saying to be careful of the throttle when the bike is "on." I know we are all sick of these "warnings", but they would be doing their due diligence if some numbskull like me hurts themselves and goes after them, especially now that they have "reprogrammed" the bike to make it more user friendly, but, some lawyer would argue (they ARE in California, tort capital of the world), less safe.
Ya but the opposite is getting out of the way at an intersection quickly. Some how a jammed hand seems better than getting run over by a car or truck lol. But yes a warning is a good thing

Ya but the opposite is getting out of the way at an intersection quickly. Some how a jammed hand seems better than getting run over by a car or truck lol. But yes a warning is a good thing

I'm all for a "live throttle" and use my throttle just as you describe. I was speaking as an advisor to FLX now that they've done something for us end users that could possibly put them at some risk to ambulance chasing attorneys.

Has anyone figured out how to remove/reprogram the throttle so it is active from a dead stop instead of having to pedal up to 6 miles an hour before it will activate. I know how to change speed limit to 60 kph but I want throttle from a dead stop!!

One of the reasons that I love the BaFang mid-drives is that you have the best of both worlds. It had it's PAS, if you pedal the motor engages to whatever % power you are on, not with a torque sensor. But... you also have a full-time functioning throttle that provides a variable programmed % of assist, torque, and even how fast that that torque rolls on (so you don't snap the chain every time you touch the throttle). The thing I love is that with a full load I can step up onto the pedal thumb the throttle on a tiny bit and start rolling without touching the seat. No frantic pedaling to start 400+ of mass moving. I have much better control on uneven ground also. Cheers.

One of the reasons that I love the BaFang mid-drives is that you have the best of both worlds. It had it's PAS, if you pedal the motor engages to whatever % power you are on, not with a torque sensor. But... you also have a full-time functioning throttle that provides a variable programmed % of assist, torque, and even how fast that that torque rolls on (so you don't snap the chain every time you touch the throttle). The thing I love is that with a full load I can step up onto the pedal thumb the throttle on a tiny bit and start rolling without touching the seat. No frantic pedaling to start 400+ of mass moving. I have much better control on uneven ground also. Cheers.
Just how it is with Flx now. Though I haven't heard back on the Trail SE update yet

Just how it is with Flx now. Though I haven't heard back on the Trail SE update yet

I don't know anything about ebikes other than mine man, sorry. If you are looking for a bike to hang on your car, take somewhere to rip around on, the FLX looks... ok (I just had to Google it). But I can tell you right now just from looking at it, the battery isn't large enough for me and it doesn't have a Rohloff Speed-hub, it's been designed to sell more than to ride. But I feel that way about ever production ebike. You can build a better ebike than you can buy, I did. Cheers.

From light to heavy:

Attachments

• 20171010_163820.jpg
    20171010_163820.jpg
    426.7 KB · Views: 472
  • 20190405_170457 (2).jpg
    20190405_170457 (2).jpg
    438.3 KB · Views: 479
  • 20190315_135242 (2).jpg
    20190315_135242 (2).jpg
    416.5 KB · Views: 481
  • 20180928_160738a.jpg
    20180928_160738a.jpg
    443.1 KB · Views: 493
  • 20190601_164239.jpg
    20190601_164239.jpg
    565.8 KB · Views: 480
  • 20190610_121421 (2).jpg
    20190610_121421 (2).jpg
    507 KB · Views: 485
Last edited:
I don't know anything about ebikes other than mine man, sorry. If you are looking for a bike to hang on your car, take somewhere to rip around on, the FLX looks... ok (I just had to Google it). But I can tell you right now just from looking at it, the battery isn't large enough for me and it doesn't have a Rohloff Speed-hub, it's been designed to sell more than to ride. But I feel that way about ever production ebike. You can build a better ebike than you can buy, I did. Cheers.

From light to heavy:
A Rohloff is total over kill on the street. Plus it puts a bit of weight on the rear wheel and you lise quick release capability, but each to his own. I will take a torque sensor and a solidly attached motor that is about half the weight of a bbshd any day. Even Luna is on the band wagon with the m600 motor!
I have done several bbshd builds and getting an Flx step thru. Sold my bbshd bikes!

A Rohloff is total over kill on the street. Plus it puts a bit of weight on the rear wheel and you lise quick release capability, but each to his own...

You and I are a different breed if you think a Rohloff is over-kill for anything, especially the HD and mine Is QR. Weight really doesn't matter to me much at all and anything over 750W/1 h.p. is simply wasted on me. I have enough torque to raise the front of my fully loaded tour bike off the ground when climbing and that's with 50 to 60 lbs of gear hanging fully suspended on the front of the bike. Distance, comfort, control, and durability/reliability over speed for me, plus wanted a Class 1 bike. Cheers.

You and I are a different breed if you think a Rohloff is over-kill for anything, especially the HD and mine Is QR. Weight really doesn't matter to me much at all and anything over 750W/1 h.p. is simply wasted on me. I have enough torque to raise the front of my fully loaded tour bike off the ground when climbing and that's with 50 to 60 lbs of gear hanging fully suspended on the front of the bike. Distance, comfort, control, and durability/reliability over speed for me, plus wanted a Class 1 bike. Cheers.
I like your bike, don't get me wrong. I am also a fan of carrying an extra battery for long rides or tours vs constantly lugging a big one around. Again each to his own but I will say that if you haven't ridden a bike with a good torque sensor you should try to!

I like your bike, don't get me wrong. I am also a fan of carrying an extra battery for long rides or tours vs constantly lugging a big one around. Again each to his own but I will say that if you haven't ridden a bike with a good torque sensor you should try to!

I have, what I haven't ridden is a bike with a great torque sensor that would let me ride the way I do now. I can ride very comfortably now using the absolute minimum power expenditure on throttle or PAS, to include cutting all assist at the push of a button. Great for conserving power. Yes, I agree two batteries do make you feel sooooo much more... empowered? But... that's twice the weight too. My packs weigh 17 lbs. each. What reduced my range anxiety even more than a second battery is a 300W folding solar panel. It lets me ride comfortably into areas I couldn't before, and then be able to do unloaded rides out of a basecamp with no power infrastructure. Folks in RV's aren't that impressed but it's really cool for bike touring. If you haven't ridden a high-quality, full suspension bike with an HD and a Rohloff Speed-hub you should try to do so.

finally tested the roadster i have and the throttle does work from a dead stop

anxiously awaiting the software to have full throttle all the time and not limited to pas level

Back