The new Stromer ST5

Curious how many ST5's are actually out there? If things work well, people usually don't complain or even visit any of the forums.
Not sure how we could find out....Stromer knows, of course, but they might be reluctant to share the data.

I'll try to find a quote... but on the dutch Stromer forums they mentioned that Stromer had a pre-order of 1000 or so bikes that needed to be delivered, but they're not producing fast enough.

Yours may one off case, certainly not the norm.
I have had 3 friends get ST5 and all of them have put at least 500 miles without any problem.
Did you ask your shop what was the issue with your bike?
Unfortunately I was not the only one that did not take there bike home that day. The shop contacted Stromer and Stromer flew out an ST5 engineer. I will stop by the shop soon and ask what the fix was.

I could swear I saw info directly from Stromer that they'd only produce 60 ST5s, all made
in Switzerland at Stromer headqtrs.
I remember the number exactly as my reaction was wtf, only 60???????

Anybody else see that?
How many are being produced?

Unfortunately I was not the only one that did not take there bike home that day. The shop contacted Stromer and Stromer flew out an ST5 engineer. I will stop by the shop soon and ask what the fix was.

Ten thousand is a lot of money for an ebike that conks out on the first ride.

You might as well get 2 ebikes just in case one breaks down. And while waiting for warranty work, you can still ride your second ebike.

You can get one mid drive with 1000 WH battery.
https://propelbikes.com/product/riese-muller-supercharger-gt-touring-hs-2018/

1539312129629.png

And you still have enough money for another ebike, and just get a hot rod for variety and fun (still with 1000 WH battery).
https://www.juicedbikes.com/products/hyperfat-hf1100

1539312227209.png

Last edited:
Its pretty obviously that the ebike is still a relatively new technology - incurring the resultant growing pains. There are going to be bugs to work out. After reading this thread it does make me think that I will hold off on the ST5 until these bugs are worked out, however. And who knows, maybe there will be some amazing new bike that pops up that blows the Stromer away. Like Tesla, Stromer has helped the industry by pushing boundaries and making the incumbent bike manufacturers push harder to keep up. Not a bad thing at all. Let's just hope the owners of Stromer have deep pockets and as much patience as we do!

I would disagree with the new technology statement. To me, the bit and pieces are all existing, "re-applied technologies", that are well known to the industry. Li-Ion cells, torque sensors, electrical connectors, perm mag motors, etc. To me, it's just a matter of putting it together with famous 90's Japanese automobile manufacturer attention to quality and detail, at these price points. I have a feeling the lack of QC/QA is playing a role here. Lots of bits sourced from overseas, but together in factories distant from the headquarters.

Ten thousand is a lot of money for an ebike that conks out on the first ride. You might as well get 2 ebikes just in case one breaks down and while waiting for warranty work, you can still ride your second ebike.
Serous good recommendation here. If I've learned one thing about e-Bikes, it's that they're not automobiles in terms of reliability. They're just about as reliable mechanically as a regular bike with the added complexity of the electrics. I commute on mine daily by choice and a having a backups is essential for any number of reasons from the mundane to the serious. I prefer not to drive my Automobile(s) if I can avoid it.

If somebody came from outside into the e-bike topic, he might believe, the difference between a mid drive and a Stromer direct drive is like the difference rear- to frontwheel drive in a car.
Let me explain why the difference is huge:

Stromer direct drive:

• Motor on the axle. Power and strength goes lossless to the wheel
  • Motor on the axle. No effect on the whole drivetrain
  • No internal gearing. Motor is silent
  • Recuperation and motor brake possible
  • Motor complete independent from pedaling cadence
  • State of the art 48V system
  • Heat sensitive electronics outside the motor

Typical mid drive:

• Motor at the crank. Power and strength decreasing due to gearing effect and efficiency
  • Motor at the crank. High abrasion on chain, derailleur and cassette due to the motors force
  • Internal gearing. Motor is howling
  • No way for recuperation and motor brake
  • The motors efficiency directly bound to your pedaling cadence
  • Outdated 36V system
  • Heat sensitive electronics inside the motor

So, what's a mid-drive good for? They are excellent 25 km/h e-bikes for mountain biking. They can go much slower as a Stromer can do. Nevertheless, some vendors have pimped up the motor to 45km/h and claim them to be commuter bikes.

The weekly assembling capacity at the HQ was stated to be 150 ST5. Later, 50 ST5 a week were confirmed. According our visit - on a monday - nobody was at work in the "assembly-line". In fact the assembly-line is a subsequent line of individual workplaces. At Eurobike, we asked about the low output, the answer was little bit fluffy. Meanwhile it's clear why: myStromer AG signed a contract with the former MIFA, now called Sachsenring for assembling all EU and US ST5 and ST3.

This is a real milestone; first they bring back the final assembly from Taiwan to Europe, furthermore, Sachsenring is an established bike manufacturer. Remember, the former MIFA has made the Grace ONE, one of the sole real competitors of Stromer.

See the press release (in German) attached.

For those who interested on German economic history:

Trabant-logo.jpg

Sachsenring is a famous name and brand since many decades. They have build over three million "Trabant", the typical car of the former GDR. After the takeover of the GDR through Germany, MIFA and Sachsenring were fighting hard but had to give up business only a few years ago. Since a while, they started over and are back on track or trying to be back on track, as things are still difficult in the eastern part of Germany.

Attachments

• Stromer_Endmontage_Sachsenring.pdf
    285.3 KB · Views: 769
The weekly assembling capacity at the HQ was stated to be 150 ST5. Later, 50 ST5 a week were confirmed. According our visit - on a monday - nobody was at work in the "assembly-line". In fact the assembly-line is a subsequent line of individual workplaces. At Eurobike, we asked about the low output, the answer was little bit fluffy. Meanwhile it's clear why: myStromer AG signed a contract with the former MIFA, now called Sachsenring for assembling all EU and US ST5 and ST3.

This is a real milestone; first they bring back the final assembly from Taiwan to Europe, furthermore, Sachsenring is an established bike manufacturer. Remember, the former MIFA has made the Grace ONE, one of the sole real competitors of Stromer.

See the press release (in German) attached.

For those who interested on German economic history:

Trabant-logo.jpg

Sachsenring is a famous name and brand since many decades. They have build over three million "Trabant", the typical car of the former GDR. After the takeover of the GDR through Germany, MIFA and Sachsenring were fighting hard but had to give up business only a few years ago. Since a while, they started over and are back on track or trying to be back on track, as things are still difficult in the eastern part of Germany.

Thank you for this information!
That's what I heard as well. All ST3 and ST5 will be assembled in Germany from now on. Will this affect the price?

Will this affect the price?

I expect not; but the pricing in the US is more flexible than anywhere else.

I often blamed the EU for being hyper-bureaucratic. Because the ST5 assembling for Switzerland remains in Switzerland, this might open a backdoor for a ST5 on which the practical approach overwhelms the regulatorical approach.

ST5 front suspension?

Has anyone seen a picture of the soon to be released front suspension? Link please :)
Any better info on release date?
MSRP for suspension? Labor hours to install?
Or any reviews of any prototype being tested???

What would the stock front forks that are pulled be worth??
Thanks

“Bluecat” and others, Thank you all for this forum. .
I’ve purchased the ST5 today after a test drive. First one that landed in Boston. Bike is on a different level.
I usually stress after about buying expensive things and thinking if I regret it but not on this. There’s this sense of comfort —-->if I bought another e bike Everyday and I mean everyday I ride my ebike I would be wishing and thinking I saved or just payed for ‘the best’. purchasing a 5k e bike that makes you wish and think about another E-Bike,,,, I think That hurts more than spending 10k .

Congrats Jagudelo12
Drive safe.
You took An insurence on the bike?

Regrets, NOway.
I enjoy every nice day on my ST2.
And normaly my next will be a ST5.
For me the large battery, hub motor and design makes the difference.
And i agree, its a lot of money...... buying a nice car is also a lot of wast money - no mention the gasoline - oeps :)
I would say, you only live once! Good luck

Last edited:
“Bluecat” and others, Thank you all for this forum. .
I’ve purchased the ST5 today after a test drive. First one that landed in Boston. Bike is on a different level.
I usually stress after about buying expensive things and thinking if I regret it but not on this. There’s this sense of comfort —-->if I bought another e bike Everyday and I mean everyday I ride my ebike I would be wishing and thinking I saved or just payed for ‘the best’. purchasing a 5k e bike that makes you wish and think about another E-Bike,,,, I think That hurts more than spending 10k .
Congrats on the new bike! Hopefully you have better luck than I did. I had two delivered and both failed. Right now I'm riding a loaner ST2 and waiting for a new shipment of ST5s to come in. Third times a charm. Keep us up to date on your experiences with the ST5

I had the idea 6 months ago that I would be able to zip in to my local ebike shop and pick an st5 up. Lol! These things are just not being produced enough to even be stocked locally I think. Doubt I will see one in Wisconsin this year. I have stopped even looking on line to see if it is stocked. I have gone from stoked to not even thinking about this bike. Overhyped and under delivered so far. I’m probably not being fair as this is extremely top end and few will be made. I could order one on line apparently from somewhere. Nevertheless, I kind of feel let down at how invisible this bike is. I definitely will not buy without a test ride.

My dealer in Traverse City, MI has one.. It's the most beautiful e-bike I've ever seen

Who's the dealer ? Einstein ?

Edit: I see it's Bayfront. I'll have to check them out. Hey, if you ever want to ride a Biktrix Ultra, swing by my place.

He also has Haibike, Gazelle and Yamaha.. Right now he has two new YDX torcs on the floor which I almost bought

Back