The new Stromer ST5

Lol. I’m going with the torque numbers... and a test ride. If I like it, I’ll buy it. So confusing. Thanks for the link and happy trails to you. Let us know if you go with the ST5.

If you think about it, it would be impossible to have a lower peak power output while maintaining the same peak torque in a gearless direct-drive hub motor (assuming identical motor dimensions.) Torque = force x leverage if I am not mistaken.

I copied this post where someone said the Euro 850 watt and US 650 are the same, with explanation:

"I especially like the difference in power between the ST5-USA (650W) and ST5-EU (850W) ... Let everyone be clear that it is exactly the same engine and software, the difference is that in the USA apparently only the nominal power may be displayed and in the EU one can make a mess of it by suggesting the peak power as nominal. Evidence is in the range that is the same for both. "
You were correct.
Stromer got back to me when I asked if motor was different in U.S and said “Hello, no the way of measuring the motor power changed. Europe and usa and Canada have same motors and performance. The ST5 has a stronger and better motor then ST2 and more torque and even the ST3 will have more torque. And all bikes goes max 45 km/h //28 mph ...regards”

Last thing before I buy next week
What are the things that the “st6” let’s say might have in 2 years? ->

Like how much better can the st5 bike improve?
It’s already at peak amount of Watts for the U.S.
Maybe few more nm of torque but they can’t go past 750 Watts anyway.
A belt drive instead of a chain?
Lighter Weight? (Weight even really matter on this thing?)
52v battery?
There much more they can really improve for this bike? Or is it like the past 2 iPhones where it’s kind of not much of a difference?

Long time reader) I didn’t think I’d be writing on this forum but when I read this post I had to get involved.
I don’t know who you are or where you live but you are my cousin because this was way to close to my exact situation and thinking.
I also have a specialized turbo that I wish had little more power. So I was about to pull the trigger on ‘10k’ (I don’t even call it st5)
Stromer would have had my money but the ‘650 in U.S’ turned me off.
That money is for your Best Motor. I even thought about buying one in Canada and bringing it to U.S for those extra 200 Watts.
I messaged stromer ‘Are the motor watts less in America when it comes to the st5? If so why (650). The limit is 750 in the U.S. are they different hub motors?’
and they replied, and I quote “ Yes, it was a strategic decission. The ST3 is with 600, the ST5 with 650 in US available.”
Messaged them back again and again with more questions but no reply.
I really want to buy this bike but not feel like everyone else out there is getting faster bike for the same price.
New Forum friends, thoughts?
Ha! "10k" , perfect. It may be more accurate to call it the "10k Plus" after taxes. Funny how we are in the exact same scenario. I had to put my Turbo (2014) out to pasture because somehow the cable connecting the motor and the battery disconnected and the motor cable wrapped around the Axel and yanked it from the motor. Specialized said they don't make the motor anymore and can't replace it. I loved the bike though, almost 12k miles on it. But I did end up purchasing the "10k Plus".

I pulled the trigger on the ST5. Picked it up Monday and rode it home. Dialed it in, took it for a ride and in the middle of my ride it went dead as a door nail and wouldn't turn on for about 10 minutes. When it finally did turn on again I pulled out the battery to reset it. That got me home but the next day same thing happened. This morning, it won't even turn on. Fortunately, the shop is putting together a new one for me to pick up tomorrow.

Something I want to mention to new buyers, be very careful with sizing the bike. First, they are classified "Medium" (17") "Large" (20") and "XLarge" (?) So be careful you don't say you want a medium thinking its the 20". Also, if you measure by straddling the bike and your crotch clearance, the big tires will affect that.

I don't think it will run away from a Bafang Ultra.
I will decide from an St5 or an FLX Blade. I actually don’t understand why not too many people are talking about this bike. FLX Blade is a beast with stealth look. I think better than m1spitzing

I will decide from an St5 or an FLX Blade. I actually don’t understand why not too many people are talking about this bike. FLX Blade is a beast with stealth look. I think better than m1spitzing

If you routinely ride above 24 mph, you are better off getting a hub drive. The drive train of a mid drive suffers enormous strain, and has accelerated wear and tear at those speeds.

The ST5 is - properly configured Di2 assumed - the fastest accelerating street legal e-bike.

But how about top speed? Yes, it's 45km/h

And how do you do on a Stromer at this speed? Well and easy, of course.

Why? Because of 52T x 11T x 2215mm!

With other words: pedaling with only 72 rpm is enough for a 45 km/h ride.

Let's compare, e.g. with the FLX Blade with 44T x 11T x 2215mm = 85rpm @ 45km/h

But if you go with 60km/h you have to pedal with 113 rpm. How long would you last this?

The ST5 is - properly configured Di2 assumed - the fastest accelerating street legal e-bike.

But how about top speed? Yes, it's 45km/h

And how do you do on a Stromer at this speed? Well and easy, of course.

Why? Because of 52T x 11T x 2215mm!

With other words: pedaling with only 72 rpm is enough for a 45 km/h ride.

Let's compare, e.g. with the FLX Blade with 44T x 11T x 2215mm = 85rpm @ 45km/h

But if you go with 60km/h you have to pedal with 113 rpm. How long would you last this?
Thank you man you’ve given me extreme insight on this bike I’ve kept up with your posts and updates,
how much better can the st5 bike improve?
It’s already at peak amount of Watts for the U.S.
52v battery?
There much more they can really improve for this bike? Or is it like the past 2 iPhones where it’s kind of not much of a difference?

52v battery?

• Don't count too much on watt values. The riding comfort is made by holding the Watt at the same level during the discharge of the battery. This is much more worth the a high peak value.
  • More NM without changing the Watt might be found by using stronger magnets or higher copper-density in the electric coils.
  • Somewhere earlier, I already explained why a gearbox is no progress or solution for an ST2s or ST5.
  • Most people came from traditional bicycles, where weight is an issue. For an e-bike, where the rider is approx. between 50kg and 100kg, the save of two or three kg will change nothing, but the price.
  • There is already a 52V battery in use; the fully charges 48V has 52V, but this value is not used for advertising (as Bafang is does).

The main field of further progress might be the programming of the firmware and the extension of the range of OMNI applications.

That’s too bad. How is the new new ride?

Your advice on the bike size is spot on. My ST2 is a medium, which is slightly too small for me and is the main motivation/excuse to upgrade.

Thanks for asking but it hasn't gone well at all. After setting me up with a new ST5, I happily rode it home and went for a ride around town. At the end of my ride (which was amazing on this bike) as I was a block from my house that bike shut down just like the first one. The next morning I tried to turn it on and it was as dead as a brick. Right now I have a loaner ST2 while they reach out to Stromer and figure out what's going on.

Please keep the reports coming. When I went to pick up my ST5 it shut down 200 yards from the shop. I cancelled my order and got my money back. I know this would be the best bike for my 50 mile round trip commute but I was seeing other people with similar problems and I need to make sure all problems are resolved before putting out the cash.

Please keep the reports coming. When I went to pick up my ST5 it shut down 200 yards from the shop. I cancelled my order and got my money back. I know this would be the best bike for my 50 mile round trip commute but I was seeing other people with similar problems and I need to make sure all problems are resolved before putting out the cash.

Yours may one off case, certainly not the norm.
I have had 3 friends get ST5 and all of them have put at least 500 miles without any problem.
Did you ask your shop what was the issue with your bike?

Sorry to hear of peoples' problems with this bike. I now have about 300km on mine and so far it has been flawless (except for the bluetooth connection). Longest ride so far was about 73km and it it used up the top 76% of the battery capacity . I did a lot of riding in level 2, some in level 1, and a little in level 3. I'm sure I could stretch that if needed, but it's just too much fun to have that "launch" when you want it. I'd say around here (San Francisco) it's probably good for a comfortable 100km per ride. This covers most of the rides I'd be likely to do in one day and still have some fun. YMMV...

Another question as this is my first e-bike: I'm just learning about how e-bikes react, but it seems there is a certain RPM where it gives maximum assist? On all my "normal" bikes I practiced downshifting at just the right moment to maintain maximum momentum and the best cadence when starting up an incline. With this one it seems "best" is just the opposite - kick it up a gear, crank down hard on the pedals, and it will just launch you up that hill. Anybody else notice this difference? Is it just me 'cause I'm new to e-bikes?

Ugh. Sorry to hear that. Sounds like Stromer has some serious bugs to stamp out. I'm sure it will be fine in the end, but this really shouldn't happen on the model 10K. As an aside, this thread has 26,000+ views. A lot of people are interested in the ST5. I can't imagine these issues are helping sales.
Right? after I decided I would buy an ST5... No, should not happen. I'm going to wait till the ST5 is yesterday's news before I buy though. Might take a year or two. Might buy something else. I'm open. I expect nothing less than perfection. If I wanted issues, I'd jet a juiced.

Sorry to hear of peoples' problems with this bike. I now have about 300km on mine and so far it has been flawless (except for the bluetooth connection). Longest ride so far was about 73km and it it used up the top 76% of the battery capacity . I did a lot of riding in level 2, some in level 1, and a little in level 3. I'm sure I could stretch that if needed, but it's just too much fun to have that "launch" when you want it. I'd say around here (San Francisco) it's probably good for a comfortable 100km per ride. This covers most of the rides I'd be likely to do in one day and still have some fun. YMMV...

Cool, keep us posted. I want to know how these bikes hold their own in the every day world.

Its pretty obviously that the ebike is still a relatively new technology - incurring the resultant growing pains. There are going to be bugs to work out. After reading this thread it does make me think that I will hold off on the ST5 until these bugs are worked out, however. And who knows, maybe there will be some amazing new bike that pops up that blows the Stromer away. Like Tesla, Stromer has helped the industry by pushing boundaries and making the incumbent bike manufacturers push harder to keep up. Not a bad thing at all. Let's just hope the owners of Stromer have deep pockets and as much patience as we do!

So far I have 300 miles mostly in S mode and 2. No issues so far. Longest trip is roughly 30 miles each way.

Curious how many ST5's are actually out there? If things work well, people usually don't complain or even visit any of the forums.
Not sure how we could find out....Stromer knows, of course, but they might be reluctant to share the data.

Back