The new Stromer ST5

The ST5 uses the mobile device mount technology from SP Connect. The most simple adapter is the self-glue part:

For these mobile phones arce cases available on which the adapter is integrated:

33059417ws.jpg

33113708bo.jpg

33113709mq.jpg

The M99pro has an integrated light sensor. It switches automatically from daytime running light to low beam - and back. The ST5 uses the full brightness of its U-shaped light. Earlier, this light was dimmed due to the swiss regulations. (It was hard for the authorities to accept, a bicycle can have a daytime running light like a car.) Clear visible is the superior brightness of the M99pro sickles.

Another functionality is the flashing. This 19 seconds video show the brightness of the flashing. Pay attention on the rear light; flashing light is like braking light..

The frame size guide for the ST2 and the ST5:

As mentioned above, on the ST5, you rather sitting in the bike than on the bike. For the handling, this makes the difference. One reason are the bigger wheels. Whilst the 26" have D = 677, the 27½" are D = 708 (approx.) The 15mm difference of radius are visible in the values of [F].

The most important value is [D]. As the wheels are bigger, you're not closer to the ground - but closer to the hubs.

Note: Stromer is changing its nomenclature for the frame size. Please compare always by the length of the seat tube.

33125885wq.jpg

33125884fx.jpg

33126027zw.jpg

Last edited:
How does the Stromer horn sound?

This 15 seconds video features first the Supernova horn, then you hear the ST5 horning. It's made with the integrated microphone, so please allow some background noise.

The Supernova horne looks little bit different from the one on the ST5:

33140113jp.jpg

33140114ho.jpg

At my own Stromer (from Thömus), the welding seams are very well handcrafted (they are "geschuppt"). At the new ST5 (from myStromer AG), they are let's say, simple. Some new owners become surprised on this. Especially, as the 2017 Eurobike ST5 had no welding seams at the fork - whilst the current ST5 has some.

Probably, the fork at the 2017 Eurobike was a mockup from the 3D printer. Nevertheless, on the tech specs was stated: Fork = Stromer alloy

(colour removed to make comparison better visible)

33264095wn.jpg

To illustrate how the differences in craftsmanship are. Compare the welding seams at the head tube:

33279850ru.jpg

Are you suggesting the Swiss welds are better than Chinese? Or the other way around?

In terms of "better": Both do the same job. But the older one shows the superior skills of those whom made it :)

BTW, both frames are built at Fairly Bike Manufacturing Company, Formosa.

In terms of "better": Both do the same job. But the older one shows the superior skills of those whom made it :)

BTW, both frames are built at Fairly Bike Manufacturing Company, Formosa.
" they don't build em like they used too".
One split second of inattention leaves a permanent blemish on a tig weld.
Some Aluminum boats have 5 meter long welds.

1. ST-5 Gear indicator??
Did they take away the 1-11 gear indicator?
I use that a LOT and would miss it a LOT?

If removed, can it be added back by the dealer? What part/ what cost??

2. Battery door? I know it now opens without a key.
Can you lock it closed when battery is removed?
That cannot be done on current ST2-S correct?
If you remove battery for easier loading, 2-S door cannot be closed :(

Thanks
Have 17" frames arrived yet?

1. ST-5 Gear indicator??
Did they take away the 1-11 gear indicator?
I use that a LOT and would miss it a LOT?

Yes you can get it. It would be cost you $150 installed.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Shimano-XT...play-Unit-SC-M9051-M9051-31-8mm/232017236503?

Have 17" frames arrived yet?

I don't think so.

I took test ride on the ST5 yesterday. Having biked 10K miles on the ST2 platform, I immediately noticed the sure-footedness of the bike. It is not as agile as the ST2-S but feels very stable, sort of like driving an Escalade. Because of the bigger frame, wheels and tires, it has more inertia as well. I was running the tires at 29-30psi and they absorbed bumps better than the ST2-S with a carbon fork.

At that pricepoint, it should come with a Rack, no excuse to eliminate one. Also, the gear index display is missing but that's something to do with Shimano. They have decided not to continue making those displays.

Electronic horn is a nifty feature for urban commuting. If I had nice roads like how they have it in Germany/Switzerland, it would be a delight to ride this bike. On pothole riddled Chicago streets, may not very pleasant.

Congratulation with your new speed bike.
Have fun & drive save’

This week i saw the St3 limited edition.
I was a little disappointed
Your St5 is twice as nice. Nice & clean design
Enjoy!

Well, I picked up my St5 on Friday, have two rides on it so far. First impression is very good overall, but I would have expected a little more from an 800W or even 640W (US spec) motor on hills - am I missing something? Maybe not tuned just yet, but in "sport" mode this thing should be flying up hills , no? Anyone else have this experience ? Thnx

Well, I picked up my St5 on Friday, have two rides on it so far. First impression is very good overall, but I would have expected a little more from an 800W or even 640W (US spec) motor on hills - am I missing something? Maybe not tuned just yet, but in "sport" mode this thing should be flying up hills , no? Anyone else have this experience ? Thnx

My ST5 handles itself well on hills, it doesn’t fly up hills but does well. Make sure you calibrate the torque sensor and turn up the torque.

Thanks for your comments, as I said, it may be a matter of proper calibration. I only have two rides on it so far, and I haven't really figured out the proper settings for the hills I ride on. On the flat or a slight incline it is nothing short of amazing..

Thanks for your comments, as I said, it may be a matter of proper calibration. I only have two rides on it so far, and I haven't really figured out the proper settings for the hills I ride on. On the flat or a slight incline it is nothing short of amazing..

Of course. Take your time! There's quite a bit to learn on the bike. Play around with the toque and brake sensors until you find a happy median you enjoy. Also, Stromers can slog on hills if you start pedaling before the bike is fully turned on (Throws off the torque sensor).

Hello, long time reader, first time poster. I was just about to pull the trigger on an ST5 but after researching and being very excited about this bike and the 850w motor, I just saw on the Stromer site that the US version of the bike only has a 650w motor. I haven't seen any reviews that mention this. That is a pretty big drop in power for a 10k bike. Anyone have more insight into this? Living in the hills of San Francisco, I was really looking forward to that power. (sorry if this has been covered, I flipped through the pages and didn't see it addressed but its a long thread)

Yup. Not enough differentiation between the ST5 and the ST3 in the US market to justify the pricing. I’m interested in test riding both, but the ST5 lost its halo with the detuning.

Either way, for San Francisco I’d get a mid-drive, an eMTB, not a hub drive. My ST2 is great for L.A., even on the fire road climbs, but California Street up to Knob Hill is another story. You want a mid drive.

What does that mean when they "detune" the motor? Less torque? If its capped at 28mph what does it matter if the motor is 850w or 650w?

Most of my commute is flat until I get close to my house. My Specialized turbo doesn't do too badly right now based on my traversing route. I test rode a Kahlkoff mid-drive and the ST5 and the ST5 felt so much better, even on the hills. Especially downhills, the ST5's levels of re-gen are excellent, works great as breaks. I'll have to do some more test riding of mid-drives but in my two experiences I wasn't very impressed. Plus the noise drives me nuts.

Back