The JUICE GRIND

Svaldes

A search in this forum will reveal that there have been instances of various degrees of noice coming from the hub. I just opened a Tech Support case with Juicedbikes to see if we can correct this. I purchased the bike on August 20, 2019 (about 20 days ago) and it has about 140 miles on it.

In the video the grind does not sound like much but in real life it does not sound normal. The bike just started doing this noise and I have confirmed that it is coming from the hub. It is random (comes and goes) under all circumstances (pedaling, gear, assist level and using the accelerator).

I will be traveling for a month with limited internet access but any feedback will be appreciated. I will keep you posted on Juice's response to my request to exchange the rear wheel.

To me it sounds more tinny than grinding. It's not insignificant, and should be addressed. I had an ebike that made a similar type sound, turned out it was the hub motor machine screws needed to be tightened every once in awhile. I used a torque wrench set to 4 or 5 newton meters. The tinny harmonic vibration went away. Same type of sound can happen with the rotor attached to the hub, if not properly torqued.

I received my CrosscurrentX on August 28 and have 130 miles on it and hear almost exactly the same sound. It started happening right around the 100 mile mark for me. I haven't had a chance to investigate it thoroughly yet, but I did find this on the Juiced support site which might be related (although it sounds more like a rattle/grind than a clicking sound) :

Hub Motor Clicking Noise

I was hoping that the noise would be brake or other alignment issue but it is coming from the motor. Here is how I determined it:
  • I physically removed the rear brakes (and the noise still occurred) so it is not brake pad rubbing issue
  • The sound also happens when I use the accelerator only, so it is not pedal related.
  • When the sound is happening, if I switch off the motor by either slightly pressing the brake lever or by using the assist controller and switching from ECO to 0 mode, the sound goes away, which indicates that it is motor related.
I have contacted Juicebikes support and they want me to send the wheel in and for me to wait (without a bike) for them to troubleshoot and repair. SINCE I FOUND AND REPORTED THE ISSUE WITHIN 30 DAYS OF PURCHASE, I am asking them to send me a new rear wheel, charge me for it and credit me back when they receive the defective product back, that way I am not left stuck without a bikes for weeks while they determine the issue. I am waiting to hear back from Juice.

Thank you for reviewing and responding to this post.

That sounds reasonable. Let us know how it goes.
Agreed. That would be a great solution to your problem, and not leave you without a bike for all that time.

I took my bike to the LBS yesterday for routine maintenance. 3000 miles on my CCS and I just broke a spoke, the rear tire needs replacement, the derailleur needs adjusting, and the chain needs to be replaced. I'd say after 3000 miles that's a pretty good record. 3000 miles on a Schwalbe Marathon Plus -- I'm real happy about that.

But, they said it would be about a week before I get it back. And here we are with cooler weather making riding even more enjoyable. Oh well.

If I had a nickel for every support event were the grind, or tick, or clicking sound was a loose screw, or out of place chain guard, or some other simple issue where the rider thought the kit was pooched... I could buy a nice Sherry Cask Single Malt, not a 15, but surely a 12 year old.

UPDATE! Well Juiced bike came through with flying colors. At first they wanted me to send the wheel in and wait for a replacement, but I informed them that I did not want to be without a bike while I waited for a new wheel. I offered to buy the replacement wheel and get reimbursed when they receive the defective wheel from me, but instead, Juiced did one better. They hired a local mechanic and sent him the wheel. The mechanic came to my house, replaced the wheel and handled the exchange - all with no cost or hassle to me. WAY TO GO JUICED!!!

PS. I took a while to update this post because I was traveling.

Last edited:
Well I wish I had known that was an option. My CCX did the same thing, with about 100 miles on it, and they were insistent that I send it back at my own cost. Which was $160 in shipping from UPS. They returned a working wheel, but I never got any reimbursement. It was a pretty terrible experience all around.

Thats unacceptable. I would call them and give them hell. Maybe there is no third-party mechanic available in your area or maybe it is something new that they are trying, but having to pay and not get reimbursed seems unreasonable and something they Juiced Bikes should take care of.

This grinding noise is an odd problem. I started to experience it around 4k miles and over a month ago thought it was gonna die soon, but it's still going & only once since then have I heard the grind. The wanted me to return the wheel then too, but considering the shipping cost I bought a replacement clutch to attempt a fix myself when it does finally go bad.

This grinding noise is an odd problem. I started to experience it around 4k miles and over a month ago thought it was gonna die soon, but it's still going & only once since then have I heard the grind. The wanted me to return the wheel then too, but considering the shipping cost I bought a replacement clutch to attempt a fix myself when it does finally go bad.

What motor is used? Changing a clutch gear assembly in a geared hub is covered all over the internets
. A new clutch gear assembly is no more than $75. But I’m punting as I don’t know which motor you fellas have.

Last edited:

I have already taken apart the motor from my CC so I know what to expect & already have the clutch assembly bought from Ebay on hand. When I took it the CC motor apart the gears looked fine so if it's a mechanical issue then likely inside the clutch mechanism itself? Just bothering me that I'm now experiencing it on the CCX, but it's not consistent yet so I can't fully say that the clutch gear assembly is the culprit.

I have already taken apart the motor from my CC so I know what to expect & already have the clutch assembly bought from Ebay on hand. When I took it the CC motor apart the gears looked fine so if it's a mechanical issue then likely inside the clutch mechanism itself? Just bothering me that I'm now experiencing it on the CCX, but it's not consistent yet so I can't fully say that the clutch gear assembly is the culprit.
Just had a MAC, gears ok clutch replaced. 4000 miles isn’t at all outrageously soon. Man, I’m stunned that we’d have to pay $160 in shipping for a $100 labor and parts project. That’s nuts!

Back