Test ride on a Bikonit MD1000 (Mid-Drive) and HD 750 (Hub-Drive)

I think it is smart.

Not only could the MD ultra 1000 Just be to powerful for the gearing etcetera, but I think you will get much more milage range on the dual battery!

I think it is smart.

Not only could the MD ultra 1000 Just be to powerful for the gearing etcetera, but I think you will get much more milage range on the dual battery!

That's the plan ... now the only problem is actually getting the bike. I was promised August delivery but it is looking more like early to mid Sept. I'm beginning to think the only Bikonit ebikes in the country are the prototypes at Bolton in Grass Valley.

Last edited:
I think that too. I searched all the internet and could not find a single review or something that will tell me more about the bike. All I found was other bike sales websites or Bolton’s websites.
I hope my $3100 investment is not a waste of $$$

It is not so much the long wait times for these ebikes, it is a seemingly never ending string of missed shipping dates that bothers me.

OTOH, having ridden them these are very cool ebikes and are worth the wait.

Last edited:
To quote the Grateful Dead, "what a long strange trip it's been". These endless shipping delays provide time for re-thinking and after way to much consideration, I now have an MD 1000 with dual batteries and the Sturmey Archer 5 speed IHD on order via Alibaba. Apparently, there will be 200 MD ebikes shipped this month so I expect delivery in October (my October surprise ;-).

The dual battery setup and the IHD was the reason I had interest in the Bikonit brand in the first place. Considering the Alibaba price for the MD 1000 is equal to a dual battery HD 750, it seems like a no-brainer. All things considered (and reconsidered) my use case makes the MD 1000 the best option for me. Like most things, to each his own ...

This youtube video on adjusting the Sturmey Archer RX-RK5 IGH was very helpful and reassuring.

did you buy it from Frank with Leili manufacture?
I bought from them and was promised that rose bikes should be shipped end of September
To quote the Grateful Dead, "what a long strange trip it's been". These endless shipping delays provide time for re-thinking and after way to much consideration, I now have an MD 1000 with dual batteries and the Sturmey Archer 5 speed IHD on order via Alibaba. Apparently, there will be 200 MD ebikes shipped this month so I expect delivery in October (my October surprise ;-).

The dual battery setup and the IHD was the reason I had interest in the Bikonit brand in the first place. Considering the Alibaba price for the MD 1000 is equal to a dual battery HD 750, it seems like a no-brainer. All things considered (and reconsidered) my use case makes the MD 1000 the best option for me. Like most things, to each his own ...

This youtube video on adjusting the Sturmey Archer RX-RK5 IGH was very helpful and reassuring.

Yes, I ordered from Frank @ Leili as I had before. He feels that shipping will be in 2 weeks so this month is the goal. At this point, a couple of weeks one way or the other is not an issue for me.

What color did You chose and if you don’t mind , how much did you pay for your MD1000?

Black and I prefer not to discuss the price of something on the internets but to satisfy your curiosity, mine was the same price as yours.

thx a lot ,
I also bought another bike from him for my wife and that bike is already shipped and I should have it in couple of weeks.
I will let you know when I get them.
good luck
Black and I prefer not to discuss the price of something on the internets but to satisfy your curiosity, mine was the same price as yours.

Thanks, I'm told the bike will come without branding which I like. The black will look like something from a Batman movie ... ;-)

I agree, mine comes with no branding too.
I am super excited.

QUOTE="RMK!, post: 332824, member: 28576"]
Thanks, I'm told the bike will come without branding which I like. The black will look like something from a Batman movie ... ;-)
[/QUOTE]

The MD 1000 has not yet shipped from China but I'm hoping it will ship this week. If that happens, it will take another 4-5 weeks to reach me. In the meantime I've been riding the Specialized Turbo Creo for exercise averaging 40 miles a day riding every other day. It is serious (for me) clipped in road biking with cadence, speed and distance the measures. The MD 1000 will be for fun riding on and off road.

Regarding the STURMEY ARCHER Inner 5 Speed Gear used on the MD 1000, If you search youtube for "Adjusting the Sturmey Archer RX-RK5" you can see a short video on how to make simple cable/gear alignment adjustments for the Sturmey Archer. Unlike the Rotary speed shifter shown in the video, the MD 1000 uses the C50 Rotary 5 Speed Dual Lever Trigger Shifter. This is to avoid accidental grip shifting which is a more likely with a grip rotary shifter than a Trigger Shifter. Those yellow gear alignment marks appear on all of the RX-RK5's hubs and address some of the reliability concerns previously expressed. Proper shifting technique and cable adjustment are the key to getting the most out of this very cool tech.
Note, gear 2 is the indexing gear for both models
Sturmey Archer C50 Trigger Shifter.jpg

Last edited:
Regarding the STURMEY ARCHER Inner 5 Speed Gear used on the MD 1000, If you search youtube for "Adjusting the Sturmey Archer RX-RK5" you can see a short video on how to make simple cable/gear alignment adjustments for the Sturmey Archer. Unlike the Rotary speed shifter shown in the video, the MD 1000 uses the C50 Rotary 5 Speed Dual Lever Trigger Shifter. This is to avoid accidental grip shifting which is a more likely with a grip rotary shifter than a Trigger Shifter. Those yellow gear alignment marks appear on all of the RX-RK5's hubs and address some of the reliability concerns previously expressed. Proper shifting technique and cable adjustment are the key to getting the most out of this very cool tech.
Note, gear 2 is the indexing gear for both models
View attachment 66797
Hi , Does the bike come with a twist throttle or a trigger throttle mounted on the right hand side? thank you and good luck with your purchase!

Hi , Does the bike come with a twist throttle or a trigger throttle mounted on the right hand side? thank you and good luck with your purchase!
Good question ... the test (pre-production) bike I rode at Bolton had a trigger throttle on the left side. The the stock photos of what I assume is the production MD 1000 shows a 1/2 grip twist throttle on the right side. My guess is I will get the latter and with the need to not apply power while shifting, the 1/2 twist on the right may be the best way to mitigate that situation.

Last edited:
Pulled the trigger on getting the MD1000 and HD750 black on both. Went the Alibaba route, fingers crossed everything goes well. It’s the same manufacturer Bolton bike is using.

Pulled the trigger on getting the MD1000 and HD750 black on both. Went the Alibaba route, fingers crossed everything goes well. It’s the same manufacturer Bolton bike is using.

My initial order through Alibaba was in May with a 45 day shipping estimate. After 90 days, I cancelled and received a full refund.

On Sept 10th I was told shipping was approximately 2 weeks away and that the first batch of 200 bikes was nearly sold out. Did you get a shipping commitment date with your order? It will be nice to know they are actually on the boat heading our way.

The old adage "A watched pot is slow to boil" seems appropriate for ebike orders ...

Back