Suspension Seat Posts

Is the Aluminum 2.1 seat post the same thing as "Body Float"?

I'd called the local dealer yesterday asking for the Aluminum 2.1 seat post in 30.9 and he said he had it. I've just returned from the store and notice that there's nothing on the box that says Aluminum 2.1 and the invoice says "Kinekt Body Float". Did he give me something different? I sure hope not.

Anyway, while riding this morning I was hit by a car. I've got a 200 lumen flashing red light on the back of my helmet as well as the regular rear (non-flashing) tail light on the bike. I was on the bike path and a woman came up from behind me and turned right, right in front of me, to go to a gas station. She claims she didn't see me. I slammed on the brakes but still hit the right rear quarter panel of her car and the bike went right and I sailed right over the back of the car. I've got a big gash on my right shin (right to the bone) and most certainly a cracked rib on my left side. I can hardly move. And I've just recovered from a cracked rib on my right side. Looks like I won't be able to ride again for awhile. (Took 3 weeks last time.)

So, I won't be able to try this new seat post for awhile. Not even sure if I'll be able to install it without pain.
Sorry to hear that but glad you survived. I had that happen about 30 years ago. It seems that often in a T-bone encounter it is the bike striking the car and rider goes high. Yikes. And cracked ribs are so painful. I had separated ribs a few years ago. It hurts when you laugh.

@Mtl_Biker sorry to hear of your crash. So many drivers are distracted, inattentive, over aggressive, just plain stupid or all of the above. We all have to be so defensive in our riding to stay alive and well. Hoping you heal quickly and well. I was taken out for almost a month last spring by a car door.

The Aluminim 2.1 is the latest itteration of the Kinekt which is the latest name for what first came out as the Body Float. They are manufactured (or at least assembled from Chinese made parts) here in Bellingham, WA. One of their owner/designers is in our Tuesday riding group.

Let us know how it works for you after you are healed up and riding again.

Found one of two recent failures. This one from a commuter/customer in Israel.
Screen Shot 2019-09-22 at 4.06.30 PM.png

from the maker, "
"The original BodyFloat has a pierced, angular front link. The 2.1 has rounded front link.
The XL2 has a 2 inch x 1 inch lower spring with longer lower sidelinks."

Found one of two recent failures. This one from a commuter/customer in Israel.View attachment 38891

Okay, it broke, but there is more to it than that.

It broke it the weakest point, AND in this design, the weakest point has a lever arm (the compression device) between it and the seat rails which magnifies the forces placed on the weak point.

I for one would what heavier walls on the seat post. Especially since aluminum is known metal fatigue failures.

I was on the bike path and a woman came up from behind me and turned right, right in front of me, to go to a gas station. She claims she didn't see me. I slammed on the brakes but still hit the right rear quarter panel of her car and the bike went right and I sailed right over the back of the car. I've got a big gash on my right shin (right to the bone) and most certainly a cracked rib on my left side. I can hardly move. And I've just recovered from a cracked rib on my right side. Looks like I won't be able to ride again for awhile. (Took 3 weeks last time.)

So, I won't be able to try this new seat post for awhile. Not even sure if I'll be able to install it without pain.
Wishing you a good recovery, Mtl_Biker. I had that accident in my youth while going about 30mph. It was bad. And I've had 2 more close calls within the past week of car drivers assuming you're a hundred yards back before they even finish passing you.

I'd called the local dealer yesterday asking for the Aluminum 2.1 seat post in 30.9 and he said he had it. I've just returned from the store and notice that there's nothing on the box that says Aluminum 2.1 and the invoice says "Kinekt Body Float". Did he give me something different? I sure hope not.

Anyway, while riding this morning I was hit by a car. I've got a 200 lumen flashing red light on the back of my helmet as well as the regular rear (non-flashing) tail light on the bike. I was on the bike path and a woman came up from behind me and turned right, right in front of me, to go to a gas station. She claims she didn't see me. I slammed on the brakes but still hit the right rear quarter panel of her car and the bike went right and I sailed right over the back of the car. I've got a big gash on my right shin (right to the bone) and most certainly a cracked rib on my left side. I can hardly move. And I've just recovered from a cracked rib on my right side. Looks like I won't be able to ride again for awhile. (Took 3 weeks last time.) So, I won't be able to try this new seat post for awhile. Not even sure if I'll be able to install it without pain.

Sorry to hear about your encounter with an inattentive driver... get well soon! ;)

Thanks for all the good wishes everyone.

What I don't get is that I had one of the very brightest flashing red lights Cygolite Hotshot Pro 200 on the back of my helmet at the time. It's impossible to miss seeing, plus I had the bike's red tail light also. How can someone drive up from behind and not see that? Anyway, she cut right in front of me to get into a gas station and claimed she didn't see me. And that she's been driving for 30 years and had never had an accident. SIGH

The gash on my leg is pretty bad... skin split open right to the shin bone, but the cracked rib made it almost impossible to sleep. No matter how I moved I had a lot of pain.

And I really wanted to try my new seat post! :(

from the maker, "
"The original BodyFloat has a pierced, angular front link. The 2.1 has rounded front link.
The XL2 has a 2 inch x 1 inch lower spring with longer lower sidelinks."
Thank you for that. But I'm really not sure what exactly the "front link" is.

Can you tell from this photo?

i-T3tMJ76.jpg

What I don't get is that I had one of the very brightest flashing red lights Cygolite Hotshot Pro 200 on the back of my helmet at the time. It's impossible to miss seeing, plus I had the bike's red tail light also. How can someone drive up from behind and not see that? Anyway, she cut right in front of me to get into a gas station and claimed she didn't see me. And that she's been driving for 30 years and had never had an accident. SIGH

The gash on my leg is pretty bad... skin split open right to the shin bone, but the cracked rib made it almost impossible to sleep. No matter how I moved I had a lot of pain.

And I really wanted to try my new seat post! :(
If she really didn't see you she was probably texting when she passed you. Who cares if she's been driving for 30 years without an accident. She was inattentive and careless yesterday and hurt someone. When was her last eye exam? Had she been drinking? Was she on the phone? Or is she losing it and should have her license revoked? You see every kind of idiot in action when you ride. Head on a swivel and assume everyone hates bikes and is out to hit you.

Really sorry. Normally I'm not big on lawsuits, but this is a lot different. The more people get away with stuff like this the more dangerous it becomes for everyone out biking. Plus most suits like this never go to trial, insurance companies are scared of trials and normally settle. Have you consulted a personal injury attorney? Money won't fix your injuries, but at least you'll have the satisfaction of knowing that her insurance rates will go up. This is, of course, if you're in the US, I have no idea how personal injury suits work elsewhere such as in Canada.

Really sorry. Normally I'm not big on lawsuits, but this is a lot different. The more people get away with stuff like this the more dangerous it becomes for everyone out biking. Plus most suits like this never go to trial, insurance companies are scared of trials and normally settle. Have you consulted a personal injury attorney? Money won't fix your injuries, but at least you'll have the satisfaction of knowing that her insurance rates will go up. This is, of course, if you're in the US, I have no idea how personal injury suits work elsewhere such as in Canada.
I'm in Canada. And we usually just say "Sorry" and go on with our day.

What I don't get is that I had one of the very brightest flashing red lights Cygolite Hotshot Pro 200 on the back of my helmet at the time. It's impossible to miss seeing, plus I had the bike's red tail light also. How can someone drive up from behind and not see that?
She saw you. She doesn't want to admit how bad her situation appraisal is.

Picked up a Thudbuster ST from my new elbs (Slo-Hi Cycle), took it for 30 mi test. Still needs some tweaking I think but riding it was as if someone had just resurfaced the path. My butt and back are in love with it. Even more because it had been on a demo for a month and I got it for $85.

I picked up a Suntour NCX recently and it's awesome. Once I got the setup just right, it's very effective and a great addition to an eBike if you do not already have suspension. The only thing I'd say about the Suntour is that it has a lot of setback in that the rail mounts are centered about 1.5" behind the centerline of the seat post. I had to set the seat as far forward as possible. This could be an issue for some people with shorter reach.

Back