Suspension Seat Posts

Any sense to add a suspension seat post to a full suspension ebike?
Hi tallpaul,
This thread might be useful

Any sense to add a suspension seat post to a full suspension ebike?
I have a Kinekt seat post on my Homage which is a full suspension bike. The Homage has a comfortable, smooth, sure-footed ride. The suspension is does a good job of smoothing out ruts, pot holes, curbs, expansion joints and in general large low frequency flaws in the roadway or trail. The Kinekt adds significant improvement reducing the higher frequency chatter from small sticks, cracks and seams in the roadway, and chip seal pavement. Bottom line the Kinekt improves on an already excellent suspension system. Together they keep the tires in fuller contact with the road, reducing braking distance and making the bike more sure footed in turns...as much of a safety enhancement as it adds to comfort.

Is the Aluminum 2.1 seat post the same thing as "Body Float"?

I'd called the local dealer yesterday asking for the Aluminum 2.1 seat post in 30.9 and he said he had it. I've just returned from the store and notice that there's nothing on the box that says Aluminum 2.1 and the invoice says "Kinekt Body Float". Did he give me something different? I sure hope not.

Anyway, while riding this morning I was hit by a car. I've got a 200 lumen flashing red light on the back of my helmet as well as the regular rear (non-flashing) tail light on the bike. I was on the bike path and a woman came up from behind me and turned right, right in front of me, to go to a gas station. She claims she didn't see me. I slammed on the brakes but still hit the right rear quarter panel of her car and the bike went right and I sailed right over the back of the car. I've got a big gash on my right shin (right to the bone) and most certainly a cracked rib on my left side. I can hardly move. And I've just recovered from a cracked rib on my right side. Looks like I won't be able to ride again for awhile. (Took 3 weeks last time.)

So, I won't be able to try this new seat post for awhile. Not even sure if I'll be able to install it without pain.
I heard a story on the CBC stating that researchers believe in many cases that drivers DO see the bike but then it gets quickly dropped from short term memory. But even if that is true ,what can be done about it aside from preparing a last will and testament ?

I heard a story on the CBC stating that researchers believe in many cases that drivers DO see the bike but then it gets quickly dropped from short term memory. But even if that is true ,what can be done about it aside from preparing a last will and testament ?

Lawyer up. Failing to see is no excuse. There is a duty for drive to kept proper lookout and that includes for cyclists.

When you hear some drive said "they didn't see" do not take that to mean they can escape liability, because all they may be doing is admitting they failed to keep a proper lookout . . . and will have to pay up. So lawyer up.

Is the Aluminum 2.1 seat post the same thing as "Body Float"?

I'd called the local dealer yesterday asking for the Aluminum 2.1 seat post in 30.9 and he said he had it. I've just returned from the store and notice that there's nothing on the box that says Aluminum 2.1 and the invoice says "Kinekt Body Float". Did he give me something different? I sure hope not.

Anyway, while riding this morning I was hit by a car. I've got a 200 lumen flashing red light on the back of my helmet as well as the regular rear (non-flashing) tail light on the bike. I was on the bike path and a woman came up from behind me and turned right, right in front of me, to go to a gas station. She claims she didn't see me. I slammed on the brakes but still hit the right rear quarter panel of her car and the bike went right and I sailed right over the back of the car. I've got a big gash on my right shin (right to the bone) and most certainly a cracked rib on my left side. I can hardly move. And I've just recovered from a cracked rib on my right side. Looks like I won't be able to ride again for awhile. (Took 3 weeks last time.)

So, I won't be able to try this new seat post for awhile. Not even sure if I'll be able to install it without pain.
Oh man... not again.
Get better soon!

There are tons of research done to this.

Basically, car drivers are humans.
Science has proven that humans are far from perfect.

Human eyes and brain can register only so many things.
Optical illusions happen all the time, it's just a thing of being a human.

This is going to get a little philosophical, but is it right to prosecute someone for having an optical illusion?
People get hit by a car, it's not fair for victim, but I don't know it's fair if the person was taking reasonable amount of cautions and driving normally.
No, I'm not talking about drinking & driving, street racing, etc.

The solution is technology, as any flight instructors from any aviation school would say, just trust your instruments, never trust your sense.

Self-driving cars are safer.
Humans get tired, lose attention or get distracted, get angry, wants to check text message, wants to listen to music, etc.

I agree that self-driving cars will be far safer than humans driving cars.

However, during the transition period, it will be a complete $hit$how. ;)

I show no mercy for humans that are intentionally distracted by cell phones... they should be prosecuted.

1569985862156.png

Lawyer up. Failing to see is no excuse. There is a duty for drive to kept proper lookout and that includes for cyclists.

When you hear some drive said "they didn't see" do not take that to mean they can escape liability, because all they may be doing is admitting they failed to keep a proper lookout . . . and will have to pay up. So lawyer up.
"Lawyering up" isn't really something often done in Canada. Although I do wish I'd have done something. My rib is really hurting and my shin isn't healing well. Looks like it'll be at least another week before I can ride again. And a physio therapist told me yesterday that ribs hurt more a week or so after being broken or cracked than initially, due to the tightening up of everything. SIGH

"Lawyering up" isn't really something often done in Canada. Although I do wish I'd have done something. My rib is really hurting and my shin isn't healing well. Looks like it'll be at least another week before I can ride again. And a physio therapist told me yesterday that ribs hurt more a week or so after being broken or cracked than initially, due to the tightening up of everything. SIGH

Feel better fast!
All these distracted drivers has changed my cycling significantly. Way less road riding, and only if there is a very wide shoulder.
I used to think I didn’t need lights during the day but not anymore. Bright lights front and rear and even the helmet.
And butt-kicking, well maintained brakes. I’ve had a few occasions when drivers have underestimated the faster speed of ebike and they pulled out in of me.

I'm looking to add a dropper post in anticipation of needing one for those possible emergency stop situations.

Has anyone installed a dropper post on their commuter e bike?

I'm looking to add a dropper post in anticipation of needing one for those possible emergency stop situations.

Has anyone installed a dropper post on their commuter e bike?
A dropper post? Really?

I might be totally wrong in my understanding of what they're used for but I thought they're for die-hard mountain bikers tackling very technical terrain. How exactly would such a post help in an "emergency stop situation"? And really, why would you need it? And in an emergency stop situation would you really have the time to hit the lever (even remote lever) to drop the post? I'd be much more hitting the brakes.

I just found this on the web:

The idea behind the dropper is to provide optimum saddle height for both climbing/flat riding, and for descending. When you need to pedal, you want your saddle at the height where you'll get the most efficient power transfer. When it's time to descend, the ideal saddle height is a lot lower. Descend faster.

Yes. Really.

And right, you do not understand. And what you find on the web is often . . ..

I believe dropping the seat on descents gives greater control, lowers center of gravity making it less likely to take a header over the handle bars when breaking hard as in an emergency.

Again, has anyone installed a dropper post on their commuter e bike.

Okay, it is your choice get a lawyer and sue for damages or not.

But if you were to sue, you might teach someone to pay attention and possible stop the driver from running over a bike ride some time in the future.

gl with your injuries.

Yes. Really.

And right, you do not understand. And what you find on the web is often . . ..

I believe dropping the seat on descents gives greater control, lowers center of gravity making it less likely to take a header over the handle bars when breaking hard as in an emergency.

You're saying pretty much what I posted that I'd found on the web, except for the emergency part. But you're saying I don't understand. I'm NOT trying to be adversarial here (really) and I would like to understand. So please enlighten me. A dropper seat post needs to be activated somehow to make it drop, right? That could either be a lever on the post itself or a remote control on the handlebars. In an emergency situation (on a commuter e-bike) is it really going to be possible to drop the post AND brake? What do you do first... brake or drop the post? As you can see from this thread, I had an accident just over a week ago when a driver passed me and immediately cut me off to get into a gas station. Emergency situation. I hit the brakes instantly and at least for me, I wouldn't have been able to also react and drop the post (if I had that option). It all happened in an instant (and I've got the broken ribs to prove it).

I agree that on mountain bike type descents a lower seat is desirable, but I can't imagine doing such a descent on a "commuter e-bike".

I haven't seen a dropper post operate, but it sounds like it could be a good idea if it could be actuated by the front brake lever.

I haven't seen a dropper post operate, but it sounds like it could be a good idea if it could be actuated by the front brake lever.

They are. Usual mounted on left side with a wide variety of lever choices, albeit a bit pricey at $50+ for those from front line companies, Crank, Wolf, etc. I ride with a high seat that would allow 150 mm drop though that may be more than needed. Notice the Specialized Creo gravel has a 50 mm dropper standard.

Would not be surprised to see them take hold. Example, I have step hills with brush near and to the road edge blocking visibility of cars on cross streets and driveways. They are more of a hazard than some rocks on a trail. Rocks are in the same place as last time you did the run. Cars . . . not.

Back