Storage bags on Specialized e-bike

radhika1

Region
USA
I just got the Specialized Turbo Vado SL 5.0 EQ Step-through and I’m pleased so far!
I would like to use this to commute to work and don’t want to be carrying around my backpack while riding. I am considering the Coolcave Pannier where I can place my bag. However, I am worried about leaving this behind on the bike.
Is there a way to safeguard this while I’m away?
OR
Is there a better way for me to carry my backpack around? (E.g., somehow affix it on the seat rack)

I just got the Specialized Turbo Vado SL 5.0 EQ Step-through and I’m pleased so far!
Welcome to the club!
I would like to use this to commute to work and don’t want to be carrying around my backpack while riding. I am considering the Coolcave Pannier where I can place my bag. However, I am worried about leaving this behind on the bike.
Is there a way to safeguard this while I’m away?
OR
Is there a better way for me to carry my backpack around? (E.g., somehow affix it on the seat rack)
@Marcela? Could you contribute? You said you had Coolcaves?

Myself, I use a Specialized Tailwind pannier. The only way to secure it is to unlock the "hooks" and take the pannier with you.

Coolcaves just shipped today, should be here end of week. In the pics looks like there is a net with hooks for the top. Sounds like you want a hard pannier with lockable lid, or a pannier that doubles as a back pack or carry bag.

Welcome to the club!

@Marcela? Could you contribute? You said you had Coolcaves?

Myself, I use a Specialized Tailwind pannier. The only way to secure it is to unlock the "hooks" and take the pannier with you.
I don’t plan to leave anything valuable in the panniers but I’m more just thinking about someone taking off the pannier? Hopefully not, but you never know!

Coolcaves just shipped today, should be here end of week. In the pics looks like there is a net with hooks for the top. Sounds like you want a hard pannier with lockable lid, or a pannier that doubles as a back pack or carry bag.
Thanks Marcela! The last option sounds like a dream - I’ll try to research if something like that is available

I don’t plan to leave anything valuable in the panniers but I’m more just thinking about someone taking off the pannier? Hopefully not, but you never know!
I have just looked at the picture of a Coolcave. The standard Specialized hook: anyone can unlock it and nick the pannier!

I was considering the Coolcave. Add in the top bag for a lid and you are talking about a set of panniers that cost as much as the very top end Ortliebs, with far less storage space.

And since it occurred to me they looked like a small office trash can, that led me to this:

I wanted high storage capacity so the ones I came up with provide about 53 liters for the pair. The same techniques can be used for something much smaller. I liked the Rubbermaid products because they can withstand sub-freezing weather for extended periods without cracking. A very small cargo net can make an excellent lid if you want to forego the top side waterproofing.

I have just looked at the picture of a Coolcave. The standard Specialized hook: anyone can unlock it and nick the pannier!
:( sad! Okay this is out of the picture!

It would be cool to find a cloth pannier that I can fold up and carry with me. Or a backpack that can act like a pannier!

I was considering the Coolcave. Add in the top bag for a lid and you are talking about a set of panniers that cost as much as the very top end Ortliebs, with far less storage space.

And since it occurred to me they looked like a small office trash can, that led me to this:

I wanted high storage capacity so the ones I came up with provide about 53 liters for the pair. The same techniques can be used for something much smaller. I liked the Rubbermaid products because they can withstand sub-freezing weather for extended periods without cracking. A very small cargo net can make an excellent lid if you want to forego the top side waterproofing.
Oh this is quite innovative! I am not sure that I’ll personally do this but this article gave me some good ideas on using inexpensive things (like trash bags wow!) as a pannier! Thanks for sharing!

Welcome to the forum!

When I need a dual purpose backpack/pannier, I use this one from Arkel:

I also made an oversize hard shell, waterproof, lockable case for my rear rack that I can carry like a suitcase. It also has eyelets for a strap so it can be carried over the shoulder as well. I attach it to the rack with an MIK adapter but any quick attach mount can be used.

I used this sturdy case from Nanuk but the idea will work with almost any similar container.

IMG_003163.jpg IMG_003167.jpg IMG_003169.jpg IMG_003183.jpg IMG_003196.jpg IMG_003203.jpg

The case is lockable with a simple TSA security lock and the case itself locks to the bike. Not much protection from a determined thief but it will offer a degree of protection from a grab & run and also keep a casual thief from going through your things.

Ortlieb Vario is a pannier-backpack. I use it as a pannier for grocery shopping and as a backpack on some rides. The downside is that the harness cannot be attached when the Vario is a pannier.

Ortlieb Vario is a pannier-backpack. I use it as a pannier for grocery shopping and as a backpack on some rides. The downside is that the harness cannot be attached when the Vario is a pannier.
Thanks for the rec! My bike came equipped with the harness - I assume it won’t work then?

Thanks for the rec! My bike came equipped with the harness - I assume it won’t work then?
Not sure if we're talking about the same thing!

1677701320668.png

Ortlieb Vario offers two ways to strap the bag: The QL2.1 "hooks" that are for attaching the bag as the pannier to the rack, and the straps that I call the "harness".

I own an older Vario, where Ortlieb hadn't brought the concept to as perfect level as it is today yet.

See the video for Vario PS:

Last edited:
Not sure if we're talking about the same thing!

View attachment 148148
Ortlieb Vario offers two ways to strap the bag: The QL2.1 "hooks" that are for attaching the bag as the pannier to the rack, and the straps that I call the "harness".

I own an older Vario, where Ortlieb hadn't brought the concept to as perfect level as it is today yet.

See the video for Vario PS:
Oh haha, I thought You meant the bike harness! Okay thanks for clarifying!

I also saw a pretty nice one from Two Wheel Gear - looks promising

Spec coolcaves showed up today. Not a bad deal for $60 ea. The fasteners slide in and out for fitment so they fit both the Como and Vado, unfortunately not the motorcycle with larger dia bars. I think if I was to carry something on my side or back I would want a soft bag pannier.

Only downside to these coolcaves is they don't fit a full size grocery sack. The top opening is fine, everything narrows down to about 11" x 6" across the bottom of the floor, so if you stuff a sack in with crushables you may be disappointed at the destination. Spec was so close...

Spec coolcaves showed up today. Not a bad deal for $60 ea. The fasteners slide in and out for fitment so they fit both the Como and Vado, unfortunately not the motorcycle with larger dia bars. I think if I was to carry something on my side or back I would want a soft bag pannier.

Only downside to these coolcaves is they don't fit a full size grocery sack. The top opening is fine, everything narrows down to about 11" x 6" across the bottom of the floor, so if you stuff a sack in with crushables you may be disappointed at the destination. Spec was so close...
Thanks for sharing this review, Marcela!

Back