Vado 5.0 IGH versus Tero 5.0 (EQ pack)

While the Como, Vado and Tero kept the same motors at the 3.0, 4.0 and 5.0 levels, the Tero X has annoyingly increased the number by 1
So the same motor spec version +1 on the Tero X
Just to keep us on our toes.
I note the shortened mudguards/fender on the front wheel to boost its off-road credentials!
And of course, it doesn't need a radar because it won't be on the roads commuting - @dynamic red(onyx) only available in version 5.0 though - in the UK at least - so forget about the 6.0!
Tero X 6.0 and Tero 5.0 show the same motor in the specs unless I’m missing something: “Specialized 2.2, 90Nm torque, custom tuned motor, 250W nominal”.

I saw the shortened mud guard too. Already trimmed mine - the bottom 8” or so is flexible plastic.

And if you do any road riding at all, you’ll want some way of noticing cars before they’re on top of you. I have Varia but a mirror works best for me.

All that said, the X 6.0 looks like a pretty cool ride.

Last edited:
Tero X 6.0 and Tero 5.0 show the same motor in the specs unless I’m missing something
You must have read it wrongly.
X 6.0 comes with the 2.2 motor. X 5.0 is equipped with the 2.0 motor and X 4.0 has the 2.0E motor. Just checked at the U.S. website.

You must have read it wrongly.
X 6.0 comes with the 2.2 motor. X 5.0 is equipped with the 2.0 motor and X 4.0 has the 2.0E motor. Just checked at the U.S. website.
I was comparing the Tero X 6.0 with the Tero 5.0 (non x). Same motor, different bike. We’ve been having steady rain and some snow for days now so I haven’t been out riding in nearly a week. All this bike talk makes me want to get back out there.

I was comparing the Tero X 6.0 with the Tero 5.0 (non x). Same motor, different bike. We’ve been having steady rain and some snow for days now so I haven’t been out riding in nearly a week.
Tero 5.0 = Tero X 6.0
Tero 4.0 = Tero X 5.0
Tero 3.0 = Tero X 4.0.
Just a naming convention.
All this bike talk makes me want to get back out there.
Me too. Yes, I am going out for some rides but now we are promised a harsh March!

Tero 5.0 = Tero X 6.0
Tero 4.0 = Tero X 5.0
Tero 3.0 = Tero X 4.0.

Me too. Yes, I am going out for some rides but now we are promised a harsh March!
that seems to be it. I named mine Tero 6.0 before the Tero X line came out so they’ll just have to call it something else.

Last edited:
Are there instructions somewhere for getting mastermind to display Varia warnings?
In mastermind settings where you pair heart rate, you can also pair a radar. Right on the unit on the bike. This supposedly works. I obviously never had to do it on the vado.

It beeps loud enough for me on mastermind and on garmin 1040.

Best bike thing I own. I do not use a mirror. Partly because I haven’t found one stable enough. Partly because the varia is so good. I do have a mirrcycle, but it hasn’t found its way onto the bike yet.

I'll tell you what guys. Had I just some storage space, I would decidedly demo ride a Tero X then most probably buy the X 6.0. The thing just appeals to me.
I think I would replace the chainring with something in 40s T if the frame allowed it...

Oh, wait. Buying a $1700 spare battery as the next thing? :D No, thank you! (The last urban Metric Century in 40/40% on a Vado 6.0 cost me 760 Wh net).

I do have a mirrcycle, but it hasn’t found its way onto the bike yet.
Mirrycle is an exceptionally good mirror. The secret is you need to tighten the screws for several times, and the thing has to creak during the process. There are brass threaded screw sockets that stand high stress during tightening and then stick perfectly. The strong tightening is recommended in the product leaflet.

Last edited:
In mastermind settings where you pair heart rate, you can also pair a radar. Right on the unit on the bike. This supposedly works. I obviously never had to do it on the vado.

Best bike thing I own. I do not use a mirror. Partly because I haven’t found one stable enough. Partly because the varia is so good. I do have a mirrcycle, but it hasn’t found its way onto the bike yet.
I wouldn’t mind having the radar but not having it is not a deal breaker. Guess once you get used to it, it becomes difficult to give up.

Tero 5.0 = Tero X 6.0
Tero 4.0 = Tero X 5.0
Tero 3.0 = Tero X 4.0.

Thanks @Stefan Mikes that is the formula I was laying out in my earlier post to translate between the vado/como/Tero and the new Tero X engines.

PS - welcome to the dark side @Stefan Mikes (aka Tero X early adopter)

The harsh March continues in the UK and my heating bill (3month bill 2023 costing same as whole year in 2021:eek:) is actually going to impact my budget for the bike, sob. Got my priorities all wrong...!

I cant hear the Garmin beeps - Guess because Im getting old, but I can hear Mastermind. I’ve “paired” Varia with it but it doesnt seem to do anything. Might stop by my LBS and have them walk this caveman through it. For a good stable mirror with a decent field of view: https://www.serfas.com/shop/products/mirrors/mr-4-glass-lens-bar-mirrors-left-right-specific/ Holds its setting well even in rough riding situations. I also have a Garmin watch (645 music) which has heart rate and my Edge “sees it” but doesnt include heart rate on the designated screen. Probably doing something wrong there too.

I cant hear the Garmin beeps - Guess because Im getting old, but I can hear Mastermind. I’ve “paired” Varia with it but it doesnt seem to do anything. Might stop by my LBS and have them walk this caveman through it. For a good stable mirror with a decent field of view: https://www.serfas.com/shop/products/mirrors/mr-4-glass-lens-bar-mirrors-left-right-specific/ Holds its setting well even in rough riding situations. I also have a Garmin watch (645 music) which has heart rate and my Edge “sees it” but doesnt include heart rate on the designated screen. Probably doing something wrong there too.

So many ant+ gotchas in the world. What *I* found worked best is pairing ant+ stuff directly with the bike and let the bike send that data to garmin. This allows both the bike heart rate display and the garmin heart rate displays to function without going pairing bananas. This works fine with whatever garmin watch I had. The latest forerunner I think. It won't forward varia (like it does heart rate), but you would only want one device to be responsible for varia or you will be in a beeping nightmare. Mastermind probably just has varia stuff turned off through the mission control app. But, again, I can't look cause I don't own these things anymore.

A tero X with varia really is an appealing bike.

I haven't experienced full suspension yet. But, I have read that while it cushions rough stuff, generic hills take a bit more energy because you are overcoming the rear suspension to a small extent. Probably not relevant on an e-bike, but something to consider (and why I haven't tried full suspension yet). Also, kinekt seat post is simply amazing. As long as you don't want the dropper, to me, that's a known and functioning solution.

I haven't experienced full suspension yet. But, I have read that while it cushions rough stuff, generic hills take a bit more energy because you are overcoming the rear suspension to a small extent. Probably not relevant on an e-bike, but something to consider (and why I haven't tried full suspension yet). Also, kinekt seat post is simply amazing.
If you plan on riding over rougher terrain or perhaps enjoy pushing the boundaries of your bike, FS will help increase stability in the bumps and while descending. You can lock out either or both F/R shocks for a low compression set up. As far as locking out goes, there’s some debate on whether this makes the bike more efficient whether ascending or riding on smooth pavement. I’m just too lazy to bother locking out the rear on my emtb on steeper climbs.

I also noticed that Spec’d has introduced a bit of DNA from the Levo with a mullet wheel setup on the size M-XL Tero X models which they say is meant to lower the center of gravity and increase rider stability and control. This feature found on some mtbs will help with maneuverability on tight and twisty single track but I doubt that most who will consider buying this bike will even care or notice.

Looks like Court has already done a preliminary review of the Tero X 6.0 here.

Last edited:
If you plan on riding over rougher terrain or perhaps enjoy pushing the boundaries of your bike, FS will help increase stability in the bumps and while descending.

It's not so much "plan" for me. It's that going anywhere in vermont is a lot like mountain biking in terms of traction/terrain. I would assume/hope that the rear suspension negates the need for the kinekt seat post. (which, on the como/vado/flx is basically a hard requirement for me). I have ended up on single track because I had no idea a bike trail I was following became single track at some points. The FLX is great, but having something that combines the offroad ability of the FLX + finesse of a specialized is *very appealing*.

Also, I noticed break activated rear lights listed in that review. That isn't on the vado/como models?

This bike will be on the table if I ever convince myself to go chain. I think it will handle vermont better than a como or vado regular or SL.

It's not so much "plan" for me. It's that going anywhere in vermont is a lot like mountain biking in terms of traction/terrain. I would assume/hope that the rear suspension negates the need for the kinekt seat post. (which, on the como/vado/flx is basically a hard requirement for me). I have ended up on single track because I had no idea a bike trail I was following became single track at some points. The FLX is great, but having something that combines the offroad ability of the FLX + finesse of a specialized is *very appealing*.

Also, I noticed break activated rear lights listed in that review. That isn't on the vado/como models?

This bike will be on the table if I ever convince myself to go chain. I think it will handle vermont better than a como or vado regular or SL.
The Tero (Jack of all trades) X looks like a very capable machine and would be quite at home travelling over roots, rocks, potholes while offering a smooth and comfortable ride on pavement with its upright riding position. Anything more extreme than that, you’re likely better off forking over $$ for an emtb. The 5.0 X might just be the sweet spot. I really do hope that you find the bike that best suits your needs.

I can’t comment on the kinekt seatpost as I’ve never ridden with one before. F/R suspension is a bit broader in scope as one is able to adjust the amount of damping by controlling the rate at which the suspension compresses to suit your riding style. It all depends on what impacts the bike will encounter. Rebound damping allows you to tailor the response speed it takes the shock to bounce back after compression.

I highly recommend taking a spin on a FS emtb at your LBS to compare a setup for yourself.

Last edited:
The Tero X 6.0 definitely looks interesting.
It joins the family of the Trek Powerfly FS 9 and the Giant Stormguard E+
It would be nice to see an option with the Enviolo on it...

The reduced cargo weight limit on the Tero X compared to the standard Tero is an issue for me but I must say I’ve developed a weak spot for that red onyx paint job. Full suspension at this price point is a definite plus. I’ll have to track one down for a test ride. Anyone lined a test ride up already? @Prairie Dog @Stefan Mikes ?
Sorry, I’m currently not in the game but a family member might have more than just a passing interest in one. Look forward to hearing back from you fellas with respect to your thoughts if you happen to get the opportunity to test ride a T-ReX. Hmmm….kind of like that moniker.

I just put a PNW suspension dropper (Coast) on my Tero 5.0 and finally had good enough weather to ride my 5.5 mile test track. It includes about a mile of pavement (no traffic, no lines but good surface) and the rest is gravel, dirt, mud, hills, pot holes, ruts, cattle guards and rocks. I had my doubts about the amount of suspension a dropper/air shock seat post could provide, but I have to say it performs better than expected and makes the ride more pleasurable. I was actually hitting the pot holes and ruts rather than avoiding them. And Im back to my OE saddle having retired my spring assist grampa seat. Wasn’t sure about that wither but it’s a good riddence. Im 235lbs and that seat was constantly bottoming out, jolting my back and making noise. This new post is smooth, quiet, and provides plenty of cushioning - if I encounter a bump too big for it I’ll already be off the seat anyway.

So what does this have to do with anything? I don’t see the $1500 benefit to a suspension Tero, don’t see the need or usefullness of the mullet, and find it under-geared for anything but trails. So it really doesn't really meet the “you‘re gonna need a bigger map” standard, and maybe the cost of the hardtail Tero will come down a bit (I paid $4500 for mine), or perhaps some lightly used ones will hit the market when the “gotta have the latest and greatest“ folks run out and buy an X. I put my extra cash into drive train, electronics, and ergonomics/performance upgrades and even though I just bought the bikes three months ago, I don’t regret “missing out” on the X.

I also got to really test my new Eagle AXS system today and love it! Fast, precise, and nimble. And one less cable on a busy and cluttered front end. I opted for the PG 12sp cassette (1230) because I didn’t want to switch to an XD driver, and its just fine, but doesn’t allow for a 10T cog so an XD driver and XG cassette might be next allowing the use of the 10-52 cassette, along with my 48T chainring. Seems ideal to me. Right now I’m using a 44T and 11-50 cassette and its a major improvement in top end while maintaining my OE low gear ratio. With a few mods to make it fit my riding style the 5.0 is perfect!

Last edited:
I just put a PNW suspension dropper (Coast) on my Tero 5.0 and finally had good enough weather to ride my 5.5 mile test track. It includes about a mile of pavement (no traffic, no lines but good surface) and the rest is gravel, dirt, mud, hills, pot holes, ruts, cattle guards and rocks. I had my doubts about the amount of suspension a dropper/air shock seat post could provide, but I have to say it performs better than expected and makes the ride more pleasurable. I was actually hitting the pot holes and ruts rather than avoiding them. And Im back to my OE saddle having retired my spring assist grampa seat. Wasn’t sure about that wither but it’s a good riddence. Im 235lbs and that seat was constantly bottoming out, jolting my back and making noise. This new post is smooth, quiet, and provides plenty of cushioning - if I encounter a bump too big for it I’ll already be off the seat anyway.

So what does this have to do with anything? I don’t see the $1500 benefit to a suspension Tero, don’t see the need or usefullness of the mullet, and find it under-geared for anything but trails. So it really doesn't really meet the “you‘re gonna need a bigger map” standard, and maybe the cost of the hardtail Tero will come down a bit (I paid $4500 for mine), or perhaps some lightly used ones will hit the market when the “gotta have the latest and greatest“ folks run out and buy an X. I put my extra cash into drive train, electronics, and ergonomics/performance upgrades and even though I just bought the bikes three months ago, I don’t regret “missing out” on the X.

I also got to really test my new Eagle AXS system today and love it! Fast, precise, and nimble. And one less cable on a busy and cluttered front end. I opted for the PG 12sp cassette (1230) because I didn’t want to switch to an XD driver, and its just fine, but doesn’t allow for a 10T cog so an XD driver and XG cassette might be next allowing the use of the 10-52 cassette, along with my 48T chainring. Seems ideal to me. Right now I’m using a 44T and 11-50 cassette and its a major improvement in top end while maintaining my OE low gear ratio. With a few mods to make it fit my riding style the 5.0 is perfect!
Another super insightful post thanks @Rich W. I will be re-reading this to get my head around the gear ratios (total newbie here). What did you mean by one less cable in your post above?

I feel like I agree with you regarding the outlay in the T-reX @Prairie Dog not adding up with what the Tero is giving.

Back