22 Vado SL 5.0 EQ Frame Bags/Storage Recommendations

Hekkubus

Region
USA
I'll start by saying that I have the Ortlieb Bikepack Panniers that work perfectly with the rear rack, but I have wanted another type of frame bag when I am not commuting where I can store essentials such as emergency kits, spare tubes, and other items. I am used to my Kona Sutra LTD, which has loads of places to attach bags storage bags.

When I first got my Vado, I was almost beset with anxiety because I wasn't even sure where any bags could go (this was before I broke out the Ortliebs that I have for my Sutra). The problem is that the bike's top and bottom tubes are irregularly shaped so that many bags simply won't work with them. Then there's that beautiful Mastermind TCU that makes it even more of a puzzle as to where to strap a frame bag.

Thus, the advice I seek of you, great friends is which frame bags, or other bags that go around the frame, can one use with the Vado SL? I like the Oveja Negra 1/2 pack frame bag, or equivalent bag, but will they fit on the bike? Have any of you tried any frame bags on your Vado SL bikes?

On the cockpit, I am using a slap bag for handlebar storage, but I would like to use a feed bag. The wheel spacing doesn't seem like the bottom bag strap will fit, and I worry about wear on the carbon fork from a bag strap. Anyone using a feed bag on yours? Oveja Negra calls theirs the Chuckbucket, and I really like mine that I have on the Sutra.

Just looking for more storage options for when I'm not commuting but don't want to have both of the panniers on it. Right now I just keep one of them on the rear rack when I'm going for a long, fun ride out into rural areas. I'd appreciate your feedback, experience, and advice. Thanks!

@Hekkubus: Typically lack of the answer within 24 hours means "we don't know" and you didn't need to create another (almost identical) thread :)

No experience with slap or feed bags. However, I was trying to select a frame bag for my Vado SL size M. Relatively small frame (to save on weight). A sloped top tube of varying width and hosting the TCU. I looked at my SL from the side...

1676092038810.png

...and gave up the idea of the frame bag.

@Hekkubus: Typically lack of the answer within 24 hours means "we don't know" and you didn't need to create another (almost identical) thread :)

No experience with slap or feed bags. However, I was trying to select a frame bag for my Vado SL size M. Relatively small frame (to save on weight). A sloped top tube of varying width and hosting the TCU. I looked at my SL from the side...

View attachment 146825
...and gave up the idea of the frame bag.
Apologies, I tried to delete the other post but couldn't find a way. If there is a way, please let me know, and I will delete one of them.

Look at the Ortlieb Rack Pack. I think that’s what it’s called. Very well made and it clips on the rack and locks in place with their special key.

Back