STI Platinum Purchase

CptPalmer

I am about to take the plunge into eBiking, I have been dreaming of commuting via an eBike for well over a year. Now that 28's are hitting the market I am going to take the plunge. I was seriously looking at building my own but all the battery controller mojo is where I think things go really wrong if you do not get it all right plus other things I am sure I am not aware of.

My commute is a little long at 32 miles so speed was on the top of my list of options I wanted in an eBike. I have been reading this great forum and all of your experiences with the Stromer ST1 and I think this is the bike for me. I want to commute year round so I need to be able to handle all weather situations including snow. My commute is fairly flat with only slight 1% to 3% on the trip home over the last 10ish or so miles, so I think in ECO and maybe even as high at TOUR I can make it all the way without the battery draining out.

I welcome your thoughts, suggestions, insights whatever you might want to add to my impeding purchase. I have been fortunate enough to come across a dealer that is looking to clear his 2014 inventory and is willing to sell me the bike $1000 under MSRP as well as throw in a City Kit under MSRP as well. So the opportunity to jump is perfect. Sadly I need to sell off my current road bike to fund the Stromer purchase but I am okay with that as I really only commute anymore these days and very rarely just leisure ride unless the kids want to go for a ride but the Stromer will do that just fine :)

Some dealers are pairing with a second battery, and nice discounts - something to consider as a regular commuter. City kit sounds nice too, but easy to do with 3rd party parts? A grand off, well that is sweet too. Enjoy and keep us in the loop! -S

For a flat'ish commute like yours, we suggest ST1 platinum vs Elite. The extra range and speed comes in handy.
We also recommend a spare battery or a charger.

I have thought about an extra charger but I plan on getting panniers so I could simply just carry the charger with me so I can recharge at work/home. I am considering an extra battery as well but I want to wait until I see how the panniers will workout and the room I will or will not have once I do that. I want to avoid a backpack if at all possible as after awhile you just get sick and tired of wearing the things and having nothing on your back feels so much better.

I have thought about an extra charger but I plan on getting panniers so I could simply just carry the charger with me so I can recharge at work/home. I am considering an extra battery as well but I want to wait until I see how the panniers will workout and the room I will or will not have once I do that. I want to avoid a backpack if at all possible as after awhile you just get sick and tired of wearing the things and having nothing on your back feels so much better.
You don't want to tote the charger every day. Not made for abuse. Agree with either a second charger or pay for the 14ah battery. It will be worth it

I went with this trunk bag with fold out panniers, it is working out great so far. I hear ya on the backpack thing, after years of lugging things around I feel naked, or like I've forgotten something now that there is no monkey back there (except Sunday doggie rides). -S

So does anyone have any experience with the Big Ben tires in snow? I know Gus has mentioned he switched his out for the winter but he did not say the Big Bens where bad either in the snow.

You don't want to tote the charger every day. Not made for abuse. Agree with either a second charger or pay for the 14ah battery. It will be worth it
I agree with this. I used haul the charger to work but got tired of the hauling it around every day. If you plan to commute a lot, I highly recommend a 2nd charger for work over a 2nd battery. Its uber conveinent to just show up and plug in when you get there.

The Big Bens are not that great in snow over 1" and if there is ice forget about it. Since there is no throttle, the motor can creep up on when you may not want it. Roll over something slippery, motor kicks in, rear end washes out and you'll be on the ground real quick. At 28mph that's risky. I love biking in the snow but on eBikes it is a bit dangerous. Not only do you want to stay stable when going high speeds but you also want as much grip as possible because you have to stop this much heavier bike. Once the first snow falls, the studded tires are going on my Stromer again. The difference is night and day in the winter.

The Big Bens are not that great in snow over 1" and if there is ice forget about it. Since there is no throttle, the motor can creep up on when you may not want it. Roll over something slippery, motor kicks in, rear end washes out and you'll be on the ground real quick. At 28mph that's risky. I love biking in the snow but on eBikes it is a bit dangerous. Not only do you want to stay stable when going high speeds but you also want as much grip as possible because you have to stop this much heavier bike. Once the first snow falls, the studded tires are going on my Stromer again. The difference is night and day in the winter.

Thanks I will heed your advise and get snow tires for the winter. Eating the ground is not my kind of fun any ways :)

Also - be warned! Once you get an eBike there is no going back.

I hope so, my wife is all ready accusing of me of the flavor of the month club, but I am all ready and avid rider so I think she is a bit premature in this judgement. Also which winter tires did you purchase?

I hope so, my wife is all ready accusing of me of the flavor of the month club, but I am all ready and avid rider so I think she is a bit premature in this judgement. Also which winter tires did you purchase?

As an avid biker myself, all I can say is that the Stromer opened up a whole new level of bike commuting. I get 4.5 hours of time back each week because that is how much time I save due to the speed of an eBike compared to my normal bike. Its addicting.

The winter tires I use are Schwalbe Marathon Winter 26 x 1.75. Kinda pricey but I got a set of 2 on sale for $90. Lots of studs but also not a lot of rolling resistance. They are noisey but it calms down the more you ride on them.

Also - be warned! Once you get an eBike there is no going back.

You are so right I will not be going back, don't see the point in doing so. I am the proud owner of a brand new ST1 Platinum as of yesterday. I went on a short bike ride with my son who was on a MTB. So I did not want to leave him but the effort I used was hardly measurable. But this morning I had the opportunity to get out on my own and I can not get the grin off my face. My commuting is going to be much easier and doable.

Part of this mornings ride.

You are so right I will not be going back, don't see the point in doing so. I am the proud owner of a brand new ST1 Platinum as of yesterday. I went on a short bike ride with my son who was on a MTB. So I did not want to leave him but the effort I used was hardly measurable. But this morning I had the opportunity to get out on my own and I can not get the grin off my face. My commuting is going to be much easier and doable.

Part of this mornings ride.

Congrats.. You will enjoy it and receive a lot of compliments wherever you go.. Get a great lock! I use Kryptonite.

Will say there is going back to regular bikes BECAUSE of the Stromer.. After starting in Power Pedal Assist on my Stromer Elite, I gradually worked down to Eco Mode... After 1600 miles I switched to riding a single speed racer and now can average 18 mph...The Stromer was so much fun to ride it actually whipped me into shape.

IMO Stromer and the Platinum are the class of commuter bikes... Absolutely great components and design.

Congratulations!.. and way to chase the creep out from under the bridge <jk>. Looks like a nice car free route, now pose with your bike, e-bike selfy.

Back