Stealthy Class 1 for gravel/dirt rail trails and more

TwoCoasts

My husband (5’11”) and I (5’2”) are considering getting our first e-bikes and and would appreciate advice to help us choose which to get. We haven’t ridden regularly for years, but hiking is getting tough with age/knee issues. We’ll ride mostly on gravel/dirt rail trails and similar wide paths. Some have loose gravel or dirt, a bit of slope, and the occasional rock or rut. But no steep, rough, or narrow trails. We’ll also go on paved rail trails (less than 20% of the time). Most rides will be a couple of hours.

We just want a little boost on the hills that I can’t manage, and aren’t concerned with speed, so a class 1 pedelec is fine. It needs to be as stealthy as possible: the rules at some places we want to ride are ambiguous, and some trail users around here are aggressive about looking for reasons to keep other people away from their favorite spots. I’d rather not waste my relaxation time arguing with them.

Questions:
1) What are some specific bikes you’d recommend? Our budget is flexible: we’d rather get the right bikes now than want to replace them later.
2) Do we need suspension front forks, or would steel forks be enough?
3) My husband likes the Faraday e-bikes, but they look like they’re designed for paved surfaces and so might be bad on gravel/bumps. Could they work well if fitted with appropriate tires?
4) From online photos, models like the Specialized Turbo X, Trek Dualsport, and Bulls eStream EVO look as if it may be easy for others to notice they’re electric. What’s your impression?
5) Other considerations you think are especially important?

Many thanks!

Thank you for these suggestions. There’s a diverse group of bikes here, all the way from no suspension to full suspension. I’d be interested in thoughts about whether I’m likely to want at least front shocks, pros cons, or if it really is a matter of personal preferences.

I have front shocks on all of my bikes. I ride gravel and I consider them essential. I use a BodyFloat shock on the seat posts.

The front shocks were aftermarket, but I had the ebike dealer install them. I find them essential on the streets too, at ebike speeds.
That’s helpful, thanks.

I have had a Trek Powerfly 5 for the past six months - it was a MY2018 runout special - and have found it to be thoroughly well mannered on country roads and rail trails. The MY2019 model has a hidden battery. It's a sensible ebike with just one very serious problem which, I think, you need to be aware of before heading too far from home (I'll come to it later).

My Powerfly was marketed as a 'women's specific design' but, as far as I can tell, its geometry is no different from any other Powerfly 5. The difference is in the top tube which is kinked downward so that the seat post is lower. Brilliant! This allows the rider - woman or man - to easily use a suspension seat post (Thudbuster on mine). Alternatively, there is enough space to fit a dropper post - for easy mounting and dismounting rather than for technical mountain biking descents.
The problem? Puncture = Taxi.

The supplied Bonntrager tyres were all but impossible to prise from their rims and even more difficult to refit. My own solution was to replace them with Schwalbe Marathon Plus MTB tyres which are 'flat-free' (so far, anyway).

There is another, altogether different, approach to making your choice of ebike: ignore stealth!

If you choose an ebike that doesn't resemble a traditional bike, it could be that you won't be seen as a threat! There are many ebikes that take this approach and simply look like an alternative form of bicycle. I suspect that some people might still be unable to resist a corny comment.

The biggest problem - it certainly was for me - is convincing oneself that an ebike does not need to look like a regular bike.

Whether our ebikes suit us is far more significant than what someone else 'thinks' of them.
... David

Last edited by a moderator:
When I decided to get an ebike, stealth was a major consideration. Not that I needed it, I just wanted it. From everything I read, Brose was the most quiet.

I settled on the Bulls Evo 3 27.5+, you can get the Evo 2 for a little less. Might be an issue with standover height.

(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

Not the cheapest by any means but its a great bike with great components

LOVE the brose motor, its everything I wanted. I tried a bosch powered bike and a shimano esteps 8000 bike and they were definately louder. That being said I really like the shimano system ALOT.

I have heard that the yamaha system is pretty quiet and you can find a yamaha derived system in giant ebikes.

That Orbea Gain sure is stealthy, probably the stealthiest I have seen.

Although a class 3, the raleigh redux IE seems stealthy and uses the brose motor. You might be able to find a 2017 still for a great price. Im actually going to test ride a 2017 tomorrow for $2200.

Here is a review
https://electricbikereview.com/raleigh/redux-ie/

Another possibility is a bike using a smaller rear geared hub motor. With a disc brake and cassette, the motor is hard to notice. Hard to hide the battery though. Pedego has several models with the rear battery on the rear rack that could be hidden pretty well with careful choice of rear bags.

Some more inputs:

You could do your own DIY setup. A small bafang G310 would be pretty stealthy, This setup would be throttle only, could be stealthy if you hide many parts in various bags

https://www.ebikes.ca/shop/electric-bicycle-kits/bafang-g310-311/rear-g310-kit-basic-throttle.html

Personally, I have ridden several throttle only bikes as well as and just dont like them. Given a throttle I tend to overuse it and for long rides it get tiresome using throttle all the time. I also dont like PAS-only setups as it just feels weird to me. I only want torque assist setups.

If your willing to upgrade to Full Suspension JensonUSA has an awesome deal on a pretty stealthy bike. Im considering this bike.

https://www.jensonusa.com/Focus-JAM2-Plus-E-Bike-2019

The specialized turbo levo is also pretty stealthy and uses the brose motor
https://www.specialized.com/us/en/mens-turbo-levo/p/154382?color=239507-154382

Suspension (front an/or rear) is nice but might not be necessary for your use. My Bulls Evo has 27.5+ tires (27.5x2.8) and at 20psi is VERY comfortable for 'gravel rides' . I ride with the fork locked out about 90% of the time for 'gravel rides'

Last edited:
I have the Specialized Turbo Levo. It is quiet. One reason I bought it was the fit. There are 4 different sizes. I am 5'6" tall and with the medium frame I can put both feet on the ground. I have a dropper seatpost so I can raise the seat when riding. I find that I prefer the full suspension bike for all riding. Our paved roads are not very smooth. I can also be on dirt within 10 minutes of my house.

I would try to rent a bike prior to purchase. A test ride is nice but the shops I went to were more interested in selling the bike instead of fitting me with the proper bike. I purchased my bike as a rental, it came with the dropper seatpost and tubeless tires. It had only been charged 10 times and ridden 264 miles which is indicated with the Mission Control App.

These bikes are so different and the price range so vast, your budget, riding style and body size will probably determine what bike will work for you.

Good Luck in your search.

Stealthiest ebike, as far as web reviews and pics. Battery replacement will be a problem in future, but if the Costco model is available, the bike cost little more than some batteries.

https://www.costco.com/Jetson-Adventure-Electric-Bike-.product.100370011.html

https://cleantechnica.com/2017/10/08/jetson-adventure-e-bike-perfect/

I like stealth myself. Ebike status is clear where I live, but in other states the rules can differ, so we'll take bikes that are not openly ebike when we travel with them.

Fascinating thread. I never gave stealth a second's thought. Interesting to learn about people's take on this subject.

To follow up, we chose the Trek Dual Sport on the grounds of specs matching recommendations forum members helpfully offered, turnkey readiness without requiring adaptations, friends’ good experiences with Trek bikes, and availability of dealers (and therefore service) near us. In exchange we compromised on stealthiness vs the Orbea, Jetson, and DIY kit ideas, but believe the Dual Sport will be good enough on that score to avoid most attention. Thank you all again for great advice and pointing me at some really interesting bikes I would never have found otherwise.

To follow up, we chose the Trek Dual Sport on the grounds of specs matching recommendations forum members helpfully offered, turnkey readiness without requiring adaptations, friends’ good experiences with Trek bikes, and availability of dealers (and therefore service) near us. In exchange we compromised on stealthiness vs the Orbea, Jetson, and DIY kit ideas, but believe the Dual Sport will be good enough on that score to avoid most attention. Thank you all again for great advice and pointing me at some really interesting bikes I would never have found otherwise.
Let us know when the bike arrives and give us a review. Photos would be nice too!

I have had a Trek Powerfly 5 for the past six months - it was a MY2018 runout special - and have found it to be thoroughly well mannered on country roads and rail trails. The MY2019 model has a hidden battery. It's a sensible ebike with just one very serious problem which, I think, you need to be aware of before heading too far from home (I'll come to it later).

My Powerfly was marketed as a 'women's specific design' but, as far as I can tell, its geometry is no different from any other Powerfly 5. The difference is in the top tube which is kinked downward so that the seat post is lower. Brilliant! This allows the rider - woman or man - to easily use a suspension seat post (Thudbuster on mine). Alternatively, there is enough space to fit a dropper post - for easy mounting and dismounting rather than for technical mountain biking descents.
The problem? Puncture = Taxi.

The supplied Bonntrager tyres were all but impossible to prise from their rims and even more difficult to refit. My own solution was to replace them with Schwalbe Marathon Plus MTB tyres which are 'flat-free' (so far, anyway).

There is another, altogether different, approach to making your choice of ebike: ignore stealth!

If you choose an ebike that doesn't resemble a traditional bike, it could be that you won't be seen as a threat! There are many ebikes that take this approach and simply look like an alternative form of bicycle. I suspect that some people might still be unable to resist a corny comment.

The biggest problem - it certainly was for me - is convincing oneself that an ebike does not need to look like a regular bike.

Whether our ebikes suit us is far more significant than what someone else 'thinks' of them.
... David
David Berry-You mention 'women's specific design' in an E-bike. I was interested in a Cube hybrid, only to find out that the dealer only carried a few different models in a women's specific models only. They look just about identical, however, not ever sitting on a women's model, I was hesitant to purchase. I am a short person, so I thought that it would fit me just fine.
IYO, do you think it could still be a consideration for me if they have limited stock in the bike I have been looking to purchase?

When I first discovered E-bikes, my first thought was the 'stealthier the better', mainly due to restrictions in local municipalities and rails to trails bikeways. I have never been stopped or questioned, however, you never know when someone may come along with curiosity.

The dealer only carried a few different models in a women's specific models only. I was hesitant to purchase.
Bob ...
Think different (as Steve Jobs told us): the choice is not between male or female-specific frames; it's between diamond, trapeze and step-through frames.

I'm shorter than average and find it difficult to swing a leg around a fullsize back wheel without the added inconvenience of fender, rack and (gasp!) trunk bag. Just forget it! (Or, better still, try it.)

Assuming that the geometry is the same for the various models and that you are not going to put so much macho effort into your pedalling that the frame flexes (really!), then ease of getting on or off outweighs other considerations. First choice: step-through.
... David

Last edited by a moderator:
Bob ...
Think different (as Steve Jobs told us): the choice is not between male or female-specific frames; it's between diamond, trapeze and step-through frames.

I'm shorter than average and find it difficult to swing a leg around a fullsize back wheel without the added inconvenience of fender, rack and (gasp!) trunk bag. Just forget it! (Or, better still, try it.)

Assuming that the geometry is the same for the various models and that you are not going to put so much macho effort into your pedalling that the frame flexes (really!), then ease of getting on or off outweighs other considerations. First choice: step-through.
... David

Just a FYI-The women specific frames I alluded to were not step-thru. They are the diamond frames and look identical to male specific bikes. Points to ponder. Thanks!

In my limited experience, the Brose is noticeably quieter than Yamaha or Bosch. The Brose uses a belt to transmit power from motor rather than gears. Apparently that's the biggest factor in noise reduction.

Don't kid yourself about sneaking past the pedal police. They'll spot your e-bike if you wrap it in camo netting.

Just a suggestion on stealthiness...

The most noticeable part of an e-bike is usually the prominent battery on the down tube. One suggestion for making your bike stealthier would be to make a custom frame bag with a false bottom which would hide the battery. There are lots of resources on-line that will show you how to make a frame bag.

Just a suggestion on stealthiness...

The most noticeable part of an e-bike is usually the prominent battery on the down tube. One suggestion for making your bike stealthier would be to make a custom frame bag with a false bottom which would hide the battery. There are lots of resources on-line that will show you how to make a frame bag.
@john peck made a frame bag out of (IIRC) a folding suit bag. He posted photos a while bag. Holds a good deal and hides the battery admirably, for the cost of a visit to a thrift store.

The Dual Sports look like a good choice.

We bought two e-bikes and started riding a local rails-to-trails. Got several flats in a short period of time. I upgraded tires and tubes. Conti Protection on my bike, Serfas FPS on my wife's. Also got heavier Conti tubes. No flats since.

Back