Trike transport and rail trails

AmyG

Region
USA
Hello everyone,
I am very interested in an electric trike and have a few practical questions. For background, I have a 2 wheel non electric bike and previously rode a 2 wheel electric bike. I have ridden trikes before and think that an etrike would offer a unique riding experience. I am about 5’3’’.
1. Most of the riding will be on the GAP trail in western PA, some paved sections with yellow lane lines and many pea gravel sections. Very minimal riding near roads (just learned to ride a bike 2 years ago as a middle aged person). Can a 30-31 inch wide trike fit comfortably on these rail trail paths? Where do most people ride their trikes?
2. I am looking to use the back of my Honda CRV for transport, so looking at a folder like the Lectric XP trike or a trike with a divisible frame such as Rad trike or a Van Raam model. Is anyone aware of other trike brands that offer a divisible/split frame? This seems like such a great feature, and the companies that offer it seem to bury the information in the specs!
I would really appreciate any information, and would love to hear about your experiences.
Thanks,
Amy

Welcome to the forum AmyG! My wife has been riding a Evelo Compass etrike on rail trails in Iowa for 3 years. The Compass measures about 31" at the rear axle. Actually the handle bar width is about 26", and with a mirrycle mirror that sticks out another 4 inches from the left hand grip it is even wider So the wheels only stick out a couple inches further on the right side than the handle bars. She has had no problems with trail widths on the paved rail trails we ride on in our area. Some of the bridges that cross creeks and roads are narrower than the path, so she waits until it is clear before crossing over the bridge. I also do the same with my two wheeler as it would be awkward and risky to meet another bike on some of these narrower bridges. She has done some riding on packed limestone also, but not on pea gravel. With the Compass tires that are about 2.5" wide, I don't think pea gravel would be a problem as long as it is not too deep and has a solid base underneath. The Evelo Compass has a mid drive motor and both rear wheels are drive wheels (using a differential gear) so traction is not a problem. If the trikes you are looking at are hub drives with only the front or one rear wheel doing the pulling, traction might be a problem on pea gravel.

The Compass is not a folding trike. We transport the trike (along with two 2 wheel ebikes) in the bed of a Ford Ranger pickup. I built a couple of ramps for the tailgate, so it is easy to roll the trike up into the pickup bed. I don't have any experience with folding trikes, but I would think loading into the cargo area of a CRV would be quite a hassle at best. Hopefully you have a local bike shop that has one in stock so you can test the feasibility of loading before you purchase. You may need to consider a small flatbed trailer for transport.

Best of luck in finding a trike that suits you needs. Let us know what you come up with.

Last edited:
Watch the weight of the trike. Lifting one end up in the SUV could be a real task. I ride a Fat Tad on the Rock Island Trail in Central IL. I use a Ford Transit Connect cargo van to haul mine. I have plenty of strength, but can't imagine trying to stuff a folded trike into your Honda.

Good advice from @AlanDB above. Lifting & transporting a trike can be problematic. Definitely try before you buy to be sure.

I frequently ride the GAP trail in PA. and have seen quite a few trikes. Most of the vehicle barriers are spaced >36" apart to allow for wheelchairs but you may encounter some that will be too narrow for your trike. A couple of years ago, I helped a rider lift his trike over such a barrier. If your trike folds, you may have to do so to get through in a few places.

Most of the trail is wide enough to allow safe passing for trikes and the packed gravel surface is suitable for all but the skinniest tires. Some sections can get soft however, particularly after heavy rain.

Here's a link to a thread on another forum discussing trikes on the GAP. It's a couple of years old but there is some good information:

You can also contact the GAP trail administration office. They should be able to advise you on sections to avoid.

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your quest for the perfect trike!

Thank you all for the helpful advice. It is really encouraging to hear about your experiences. I am leaning toward the Lectric trike, possibly with a pet ramp (or maybe 2 side by side) to roll it into the crv. The trike weighs about 62 pounds without battery. I remain intrigued by the split frame trikes. However, the main ones I can find are quite heavy (rad and van raam) or more scooter-like (liberty trike). It will probably be a while until I can get the trike (if I go with Lectric) because they are still on pre-order. I will let everyone know how it works out.
Thanks,
Amy

I have an update for this thread. I bought a pedal assist recumbent tadpole trike yesterday. I traveled 3.5 hours away to test ride some trikes and make the purchase. I have gone on a couple of short rides to get used to the steering and handling. Loving it so far!

Again, welcome to the forum!

Post some pics of your new ride and show us how you transport it!

Again, welcome to the forum!

Post some pics of your new ride and show us how you transport it!
It is HP Velotechnik Scorpion FS. Believe it or not, it can fit in my Honda CRV without being folded or having the seat removed. I just need to loosen the seat’s quick release and push seat back a little. Roll the back wheel in first, then lift and roll the front end, position it, and engage the parking brake. I am barely 5’3’’ and not that strong, but can do this by myself. I really like it so far, getting used to the steering, maneuvering, and different riding position.
B3BBA686-7302-4615-A284-45FDD704DBF1.jpeg

Attachments

• 4BE00421-D50D-4F2B-884B-9F3ACB4C2799.jpeg
    4BE00421-D50D-4F2B-884B-9F3ACB4C2799.jpeg
    537.3 KB · Views: 174
  • 7CEAC0F7-5E17-4B84-B11D-1D598977FF9E.jpeg
    7CEAC0F7-5E17-4B84-B11D-1D598977FF9E.jpeg
    325.6 KB · Views: 179
Having just recently completed a tour on my ICE Adventure, I thought I'd add my experience. First, I rode from Omaha, NE to Moline, IN. The bike trails in Omaha and Council Bluffs are good. You then ride the roads for quite a ways, until you get to the center of Iowa, where the rail trails are great. Then it is more road riding to Davenport, where you get some more bike trails. The road riding was problematic, as many of the small towns don't even have a convenience store, hotel, or place to camp. The roads were two-lane, with a gravel shoulder, and many had rumble strips. With a trike, I had to ride in the traffic lane, hugging the right side. All but one of the motorists were very courteous, giving me a wide berth. One guy tried to see how close he could come without hitting me. It was a few inches. Iowa is not flat. The roads are very hilly. Riding across Iowa, more than half of the distance was on the roads, vs rail trails. It took me eight days. Most of the rail trails in Iowa are crushed rock, with some paved sections. The vast majority is quite good riding, but little shade. I would recommend driving to the center of Iowa to ride those trails, and skipping the East/West sections of road.

After getting to Moline, I rented a car to drive East. A Ford Edge is large enough to carry my folded trike, with the seat removed. Later, I rented a Dodge of similar size. Speaking of car rentals, the only company that I could find for one way rentals was Avis/Budget (both owned by the same company).

I then rode the GAP from Pittsburgh, PA to Cumberland, MD, a distance of 150 miles. This took me 2.5 days. The GAP is crushed rock, with short paved sections around towns. It is quite wide and smooth, most of it being shaded. There are some B&B's, a few hotels, and a few campgrounds along the trail. The GAP is highly recommended.

While riding the GAP, I had the impression that there wasn't much uphill/downhill. It seemed to be a steady, gentle uphill. When I got to the Eastern Continental Divide Tunnel, I saw that I was right. In the tunnel is an elevation profile, showing a constant uphill from Pittsburgh, and a steeper downhill into Cumberland. It was such a joy riding into Cumberland.

After the GAP, I started on the C&O Canal. Even though there had only been a little rain, the trail was muddy and miserable. It is definitely not for trikes, as the trail is mostly two narrow, muddy tracks with a grassy mound in the center. Also, the Paw Paw Tunnel has been closed for years, so you have to arrange a shuttle ride around it. This was a problem, as most people offering shuttle service only transport bikes. After calling three people, the last person called someone he knew with a pickup truck. Below the tunnel, there was some construction, and the trail took a detour for a few miles, which was very steep, muddy and rocky. Thankfully, I was going downhill. I met about a dozen young riders who were going the other direction. It was a hard slog for them.

I didn't finish the C&O, as in Hancock, MD, I had a small accident which damaged the trike. I'll have to try again, another time.

Several people told me that below Harper's Ferry, the C&O is more like the GAP, and not so narrow and muddy. Along the trail, there are no stores or accommodations, but there are primitive campgrounds every 5-10 miles. These have water, but nothing else. If you want supplies, you have to leave the trail.

After repairing the trike, I did ride a rail trail that runs through MD and PA. It's all the same railroad, but in MD, it's called the Torrey C Brown Trail, and in PA, the York Heritage Trail. Each section is approximately 20 miles. Both are similar to the GAP, although the MD section is not as nicely maintained. Also, there are very few towns along the MD section, if you want to stop for a cold drink. I did each section separately, up and back, in less than a day each. There is a very small park just North of the MD state line, which is a convenient halfway point.

All told, I rode about 700 miles, which was much less than I had planned. The road riding was a grind, but I just kept going, looking forward to the next rail trail. Except for the muddy C&O, the rail trails were a joy to ride. In June/July, the weather was very humid, and the insects were thick, especially in Iowa. Early Spring or Fall would be a better time. Living in the Southwest, I like the low humidity and lots of sunshine. In MD, you rarely saw the sun, and it rained often.

Having just recently completed a tour on my ICE Adventure, I thought I'd add my experience. First, I rode from Omaha, NE to Moline, IN. The bike trails in Omaha and Council Bluffs are good. You then ride the roads for quite a ways, until you get to the center of Iowa, where the rail trails are great. Then it is more road riding to Davenport, where you get some more bike trails. The road riding was problematic, as many of the small towns don't even have a convenience store, hotel, or place to camp. The roads were two-lane, with a gravel shoulder, and many had rumble strips. With a trike, I had to ride in the traffic lane, hugging the right side. All but one of the motorists were very courteous, giving me a wide berth. One guy tried to see how close he could come without hitting me. It was a few inches. Iowa is not flat. The roads are very hilly. Riding across Iowa, more than half of the distance was on the roads, vs rail trails. It took me eight days. Most of the rail trails in Iowa are crushed rock, with some paved sections. The vast majority is quite good riding, but little shade. I would recommend driving to the center of Iowa to ride those trails, and skipping the East/West sections of road.

After getting to Moline, I rented a car to drive East. A Ford Edge is large enough to carry my folded trike, with the seat removed. Later, I rented a Dodge of similar size. Speaking of car rentals, the only company that I could find for one way rentals was Avis/Budget (both owned by the same company).

I then rode the GAP from Pittsburgh, PA to Cumberland, MD, a distance of 150 miles. This took me 2.5 days. The GAP is crushed rock, with short paved sections around towns. It is quite wide and smooth, most of it being shaded. There are some B&B's, a few hotels, and a few campgrounds along the trail. The GAP is highly recommended.

While riding the GAP, I had the impression that there wasn't much uphill/downhill. It seemed to be a steady, gentle uphill. When I got to the Eastern Continental Divide Tunnel, I saw that I was right. In the tunnel is an elevation profile, showing a constant uphill from Pittsburgh, and a steeper downhill into Cumberland. It was such a joy riding into Cumberland.

After the GAP, I started on the C&O Canal. Even though there had only been a little rain, the trail was muddy and miserable. It is definitely not for trikes, as the trail is mostly two narrow, muddy tracks with a grassy mound in the center. Also, the Paw Paw Tunnel has been closed for years, so you have to arrange a shuttle ride around it. This was a problem, as most people offering shuttle service only transport bikes. After calling three people, the last person called someone he knew with a pickup truck. Below the tunnel, there was some construction, and the trail took a detour for a few miles, which was very steep, muddy and rocky. Thankfully, I was going downhill. I met about a dozen young riders who were going the other direction. It was a hard slog for them.

I didn't finish the C&O, as in Hancock, MD, I had a small accident which damaged the trike. I'll have to try again, another time.

Several people told me that below Harper's Ferry, the C&O is more like the GAP, and not so narrow and muddy. Along the trail, there are no stores or accommodations, but there are primitive campgrounds every 5-10 miles. These have water, but nothing else. If you want supplies, you have to leave the trail.

After repairing the trike, I did ride a rail trail that runs through MD and PA. It's all the same railroad, but in MD, it's called the Torrey C Brown Trail, and in PA, the York Heritage Trail. Each section is approximately 20 miles. Both are similar to the GAP, although the MD section is not as nicely maintained. Also, there are very few towns along the MD section, if you want to stop for a cold drink. I did each section separately, up and back, in less than a day each. There is a very small park just North of the MD state line, which is a convenient halfway point.

All told, I rode about 700 miles, which was much less than I had planned. The road riding was a grind, but I just kept going, looking forward to the next rail trail. Except for the muddy C&O, the rail trails were a joy to ride. In June/July, the weather was very humid, and the insects were thick, especially in Iowa. Early Spring or Fall would be a better time. Living in the Southwest, I like the low humidity and lots of sunshine. In MD, you rarely saw the sun, and it rained often.
Quite the adventure, and lots of perseverance on display! Any photos to share?

The GAP section sounds tempting. What does GAP stand for?

I have several pics, but haven't done anything with them yet. I'm going to put together a web page eventually. GAP stands for Great Allegheny Passage, a former rail line through the Allegheny Mountains.

If you're back that way to do the GAP, you may as well do the MD/PA rail trail. You could either do all of it one way (about 40 miles), or split it in half, doing an up and back like I did (still about 40 miles each).

It's a shame that there aren't any rail trails in my area (NV). There is one in Carson City, but it is only about one mile long. It's part of the old Virginia and Truckee Railroad, which ran between Carson City and Virginia City during the silver boom in the mid-late 1800's. Part of the old V&T narrow gauge line was reconstructed, so you can ride the train up to Virginia City, which is now a tourist town.

Point of history - Samuel Clemens got a job on the territorial newspaper in Virginia City, after coming to the Nevada Territory with his older brother, who worked for the Governer, in Carson City (The trip West is detailed in his book "Roughing It"). When Sam got the newspaper job, he walked from Carson City to Virginia City (I guess he didn't have a horse). On the newspaper is where he first used the pen name "Mark Twain". The name is from Sam's riverboat days. It meant that there were two fathoms of water, which was enough for the Mississippi riverboats.

I have several pics, but haven't done anything with them yet. I'm going to put together a web page eventually. GAP stands for Great Allegheny Passage, a former rail line through the Allegheny Mountains.

If you're back that way to do the GAP, you may as well do the MD/PA rail trail. You could either do all of it one way (about 40 miles), or split it in half, doing an up and back like I did (still about 40 miles each).

It's a shame that there aren't any rail trails in my area (NV). There is one in Carson City, but it is only about one mile long. It's part of the old Virginia and Truckee Railroad, which ran between Carson City and Virginia City during the silver boom in the mid-late 1800's. Part of the old V&T narrow gauge line was reconstructed, so you can ride the train up to Virginia City, which is now a tourist town.

Point of history - Samuel Clemens got a job on the territorial newspaper in Virginia City, after coming to the Nevada Territory with his older brother, who worked for the Governer, in Carson City (The trip West is detailed in his book "Roughing It"). When Sam got the newspaper job, he walked from Carson City to Virginia City (I guess he didn't have a horse). On the newspaper is where he first used the pen name "Mark Twain". The name is from Sam's riverboat days. It meant that there were two fathoms of water, which was enough for the Mississippi riverboats.
Here in coastal San Diego County, our official rail trails run roughly north-south in short disconnected segments. There are also some unofficial segments here and there.

SANDAG, the regional government, plans to link them up someday, but progress has been slow. When complete, it'll be a great ride of over 30 mi from San Diego to Oceanside — often under 5 min from the nearest beach. Not as adventurous or isolated as your rides back East, but it'd be fun to do a day each way.

Back