Bosch, Shimano or Bafang motor on etrike?

Blues Player

Region
USA
I am looking to buying a etrike and have been looking at the HP-Velotechnik FS-26, Azab T-Fly , Ice Adventure with full suspension and the Catrike Dumont. The neurosurgeon said I now needed a full suspension trike with a motor. The trikes that I have been looking at come with different motors. The FS-26 came with a Shimano EP8 250w and I could have a 750-watt motor put on by the dealer, the Azub had a Shimano also a 250w motor but again the dealer said I could have a Bafang 750w motor if I wanted it, the Dumont I could get with either the Bosch 250w or the Befang 750w motors. Other than knowing that 750 watts is more than 250 watts I don't know what I should be considering regarding what motor.
I am 77 years old and want to continue riding so I need to buy an etrike with full suspension. I mainly ride on Rail to Trail trails and the area that I ride in is not mountainous. We do have some good long hill though.
So, any thoughts anyone has as to what motor I should consider for whichever trike I decide on I would appreciate your input.
Blues Player

the bosch will give you them out reliability and great torque sensing so it will feel like a bike the bafang will be cadence only. I don't know if the bafang really has more torque as long as the bosch motor is a gen 4 it will have plenty of torque. the downside is the coat of the batteries. but they are the longest lasting too.

BBSHD and a battery from a source known for safe reliable builds and also honors a warranty.

Tomjasz what is BBSHD ? Also any good sources that I should look at for a battery? I assumed a battery would come with the trike and motor?

On the Bosch, that 250w becomes over 500w at max assist. Make sure you get a real full suspension and not some kind of cheap spring system. My Fat Tad is advertised as a full suspension and the front has such harsh springs and little travel, it will rattle your teeth if you hit a pot hole.

Last edited:
I currently own a Bafang BBSHD (cadence sensing) mid drive, and a Bafang Ultra Mag (torque sensing) mid drive. I would recommend getting torque sensing on any motor that you purchase. You will not be dissapointed. It's about a $200 more for the Ultra Mag vs the BBSHD

Tomjasz what is BBSHD ? Also any good sources that I should look at for a battery? I assumed a battery would come with the trike and motor?

A beast of burden perfect for cargo, MTB, an off road billy goats. Perfect for pedicabs. Easy parts access and tons of online support. I sold more than I can count with few problems. But typically a home builder option.

Back