ST1 Platinum

James, in situations like this I'd recommend ski goggles, balaclava/buff neck gaiter and a helmet without ventilation.it will cut down wind noise and protect your eyes from the wind effect
and lastly reduce wind chill.

It's funny you mention that Brambor I do have a Bern "Macon" helmet for these cooler rides (it has less venting) it also has the winter liner installed which covers my ears. The summer liner has a brim on it with less padding to keep you cooler. I also use the Oakley racing jackets because they have interchangeable lenses for dark and brighter conditions. I also use a "Airhole" balaclava but it has a larger mouth hole and is designed for exercising in the cooler temperatures ie. snowboarding etc...

There was nothing yesterday that was going to help me from that wind!!

I use a Bern helmet like that for Alpine Touring Ski Trips. I will probably use it for a few spring commute trips. Another thing that works great against strong wind is a neoprene surfskin balaclava. I rarely use it but for winter rolling or winter seakayaking when you get caught in strong northerly wind it's invaluable. It cuts down on the wind noice. I think for biking it might be too restrictive but perhaps under a regular biking helmet in a really crappy weather ...

I've been searching for some real world reviews on the st1 platinum and found this forum, and it's been helpful. There is no dealer locally, so i've been trying to learn as much as possible about this bike, before parting with the money.

I'm concerned now that while the bike is nice looking, it doesn't do well in windy conditions, and then the technical issues with charger not working. I check back often to learn of James's experiences, and was hoping he might comment some more about how it's going.

With no Stromer dealers near where I live, I have to research as much as possible. If you could do it again James, is this the bike you'd buy?

Thanks,
Jay

I've been searching for some real world reviews on the st1 platinum and found this forum, and it's been helpful. There is no dealer locally, so i've been trying to learn as much as possible about this bike, before parting with the money.

I'm concerned now that while the bike is nice looking, it doesn't do well in windy conditions, and then the technical issues with charger not working. I check back often to learn of James's experiences, and was hoping he might comment some more about how it's going.

With no Stromer dealers near where I live, I have to research as much as possible. If you could do it again James, is this the bike you'd buy?

Thanks,
Jay

Hey Jay,

The bike is great! I'd buy it again in a second. The wind conditions I believe your referring to were horrendous that day, and no bike would have faired very well that day IMO.
The charger was just a dud, replaced same day by dealer, and has worked flawlessly since then. I actually have 2 chargers and use them both everyday
and they work just fine.
I put around 80km a day on my bike (minus snow days etc) and I've had 0 problems. That's pretty good testament to its quality of build.
It is quite big and heavy 60ish lbs, and it is quite attention getting so those are some negatives to some people, but for what I use it for the weight is a non issues (actually pretty solid feeling) and the looks are awesome!
If I lived in the city and had to battle cars all day and rush hour traffic then maybe a lighter more nimble bike would be better... Who knows.
Im happy to answer any more questions you might have before buying this or any other ebike.

Cheers!
James

Update:

mount-baker-ebike-view.jpg

Here's the photo of Mt. Baker that I promised! What a beautiful sight on my early mornings. I'm really settling into this riding lifestyle. I'm enjoying feeling energized when I reach work, and am looking forward to hitting the streets again for the ride home.

I won't bore you all with stats, times and battery strength as I think it's been covered. I will encourage everyone on this forum to continue to have fun out there and be safe!

James

A couple pretty decent hills near the beginning, but going home they are down hill!! It's about 27 miles each way

Naw, I rarely use it in Power now. I use Tour for the most part, unless I'm hitting a headwind that's going to kill my battery off. At that point I use either City or Eco. It slows me down, and I need to pedal harder but at least I get there!

I get about 22 miles in Turbo. I am about 240 lbs, I hit a decent head wind on the way home today and saw that the battery went down more than usual.

Yeah wind is the enemy for me for sure. I weigh 180 for now... although with all this biking I imagine I'll lose a few more!

some of your sections have a narrow shoulder. It must get interesting when a large semi truck passes you.

Yeah the blow by wind can get exciting for sure! Most people are pretty courteous and move over quite a bit, but sometimes I could reach out and touch the trucks as they pass

You went 37 Miles per hour down one of your hills :)

P.S. now that I watched the video on a computer I could see there is a distance gage on the left side of the video....

your road looks pretty good the entire time. After the winter our roads are a mess. Potholes, cracks and sand in the bike lanes.

You went 37 Miles per hour down one of your hills :)

P.S. now that I watched the video on a computer I could see there is a distance gage on the left side of the video....

Yes that hill is crazy going the other way! When your hitting speeds like that, trust me you'll be happy your riding a premium bike.

your road looks pretty good the entire time. After the winter our roads are a mess. Potholes, cracks and sand in the bike lanes.

Yes it's pretty decent. I hope your roads clear up soon, so you can enjoy some easier road riding!

James,
You're Alien or Avatar kind of species :)
40 km each way, everyday is simply phenomenal..!!

I know that you're on ST1 but I'm curious to know your diet details that doesn't make you feel exhausted when you get to work or home!!

Back