First E-bike purchase - Specialized Vado thoughts and sizing advice

sneave

Region
United Kingdom
Hi all, I’m hoping to buy my first e-bike and would really appreciate some advice.

I am a 36-year old woman who lives and works in London and will soon be starting a new job that will be difficult to do by public transportation. I’m therefore looking at buying an e-bike. My hope is that in addition to using it to commute the 12 (sometimes hilly) miles to/from work and getting around town, I can also take it out weekends for some nice rides out of the city. I’m not particularly fit but hoping to become fitter, and have absolutely loved the experience of e-bikes when I’ve rented them abroad for a few days at a time.

My budget is max £2500, and I have managed to find a bike store that carries the 2021 Specialized Turbo Vado 3.0 Step-Through within that range. Alas, they only have it in a size medium - and it would seem Smalls are virtually impossible to find. I am 5’4 and so fall in the recommended height range for size small (but am at the top of that range).

As the store is a 3 hour journey round trip, I thought I’d ask the forum for advice and thoughts to assess whether it is worth going to test ride the bike.

1. Is the Specialized Turbo Vado 3.0 suitable for my needs?
  2. In your opinion, is medium too large for my height? Should I give up on the idea of buying this size bike and wait until I can locate a small?
  3. Are there other e-bikes within my budget that you would recommend other than the Vado?
  4. I can see the Vado has the ability to lock the motor and set an alarm. In your opinion, would this (alongside a good bike lock) be enough to deter would-be thieves in a city like London, or do I need to look into secure bike storage around my work?

Thank you in advance for any thoughts and advice you might be able to offer.

The Vado is a great commuter/fitness bike, and should be more than up to the task of a 12 mile commute and weekend rides. As for the sizing, since the shop has the Medium in stock the best bet would be to go try it, since other measurements like inseam and wingspan come into play. It's easier to make a bike that's slightly too large fit than to try to size one up.

Hi all, I’m hoping to buy my first e-bike and would really appreciate some advice.

I am a 36-year old woman who lives and works in London and will soon be starting a new job that will be difficult to do by public transportation. I’m therefore looking at buying an e-bike. My hope is that in addition to using it to commute the 12 (sometimes hilly) miles to/from work and getting around town, I can also take it out weekends for some nice rides out of the city. I’m not particularly fit but hoping to become fitter, and have absolutely loved the experience of e-bikes when I’ve rented them abroad for a few days at a time.

My budget is max £2500, and I have managed to find a bike store that carries the 2021 Specialized Turbo Vado 3.0 Step-Through within that range. Alas, they only have it in a size medium - and it would seem Smalls are virtually impossible to find. I am 5’4 and so fall in the recommended height range for size small (but am at the top of that range).

As the store is a 3 hour journey round trip, I thought I’d ask the forum for advice and thoughts to assess whether it is worth going to test ride the bike.

1. Is the Specialized Turbo Vado 3.0 suitable for my needs?
  2. In your opinion, is medium too large for my height? Should I give up on the idea of buying this size bike and wait until I can locate a small?
  3. Are there other e-bikes within my budget that you would recommend other than the Vado?
  4. I can see the Vado has the ability to lock the motor and set an alarm. In your opinion, would this (alongside a good bike lock) be enough to deter would-be thieves in a city like London, or do I need to look into secure bike storage around my work?

Thank you in advance for any thoughts and advice you might be able to offer.
Just chiming in as a woman who is 5'3". What I've found with bikes is I can go small or medium depending on the bike and it's a good idea to try them first as often the recommendation may not suit you. Stand over height is obvious (though often negated with a step through) but the thing I missed is reach to the handlebars and that can bite you and is a bit subjective and dependent on your personal anatomy. So I say go try that medium.

In general I've found if the size is close to moving up to the next larger you should. Being cramped on a bicycle is awful. It's like shoe, a 1/2 size too small is a lot worse that a 1/2 too big. At least that's what I've found. But I think the trip to the dealer is well worth it for an actual test fit and or ride, since it's not a small purchase. Take a friend and make a day of it. Cheers.

Is the Specialized Turbo Vado 3.0 suitable for my needs?
Yes, it is.
In your opinion, is medium too large for my height? Should I give up on the idea of buying this size bike and wait until I can locate a small?
As the others say: ask the store to let you try the e-bike, even in a courtyard or the parking lot.
Are there other e-bikes within my budget that you would recommend other than the Vado?
Nothing comes to my mind :)
I can see the Vado has the ability to lock the motor and set an alarm. In your opinion, would this (alongside a good bike lock) be enough to deter would-be thieves in a city like London, or do I need to look into secure bike storage around my work?
Not the 2021 Vado 3.0. I'm no British and I do not live in London (or the UK) but I could see (and hear) things there. Nothing will stop a London thief except of a protected storage.

The Vado is a great commuter/fitness bike, and should be more than up to the task of a 12 mile commute and weekend rides. As for the sizing, since the shop has the Medium in stock the best bet would be to go try it, since other measurements like inseam and wingspan come into play. It's easier to make a bike that's slightly too large fit than to try to size one up.
Thank you for your thoughts - much appreciated!

Just chiming in as a woman who is 5'3". What I've found with bikes is I can go small or medium depending on the bike and it's a good idea to try them first as often the recommendation may not suit you. Stand over height is obvious (though often negated with a step through) but the thing I missed is reach to the handlebars and that can bite you and is a bit subjective and dependent on your personal anatomy. So I say go try that medium.
That’s really useful insight, thank you! Gives me hope that the medium might be just what I need.

In general I've found if the size is close to moving up to the next larger you should. Being cramped on a bicycle is awful. It's like shoe, a 1/2 size too small is a lot worse that a 1/2 too big. At least that's what I've found. But I think the trip to the dealer is well worth it for an actual test fit and or ride, since it's not a small purchase. Take a friend and make a day of it. Cheers.
True - as someone who has one foot bigger than the other I definitely agree! Thank you for your thoughts, very helpful.

Yes, it is.

As the others say: ask the store to let you try the e-bike, even in a courtyard or the parking lot.

Nothing comes to my mind :)

Not the 2021 Vado 3.0. I'm no British and I do not live in London (or the UK) but I could see (and hear) things there. Nothing will stop a London thief except of a protected storage.
Thanks, Stefan. I am a bit concerned about the possibility of bike theft. Is there a bike lock you’d recommend?

Is there a bike lock you’d recommend?
I cannot say as I live in a peaceful and safe area of Mazovia Poland (and Abus U-Lock A440 is everything I ever need just to prevent walking my e-bikes away) but I think many users here might want to contribute.

Whatever lock you get, another layer of security is a cafe lock (so-called because you can run in to get a mug of beer with out someone easily riding off with your bike). Mine is an Abus, and fortunately my bike already had the bosses in the seat stays to make installation easy. This type of lock runs a steel rod through the wheel spokes from side to side. It looks like defeating the lock would be difficult without seriously damaging the bike, making it unrideable for the thief.

Someone who knows better can correct this if they want.

Just thought I’d update to say I am now the proud owner of a Vado (size medium)! The LBS kindly cut my seat pole for me and it’s now a perfect fit. I’ve only had it 3 days and done 50 miles - and it rides like a dream. Thank you for all the advice, everyone!

Attachments

• F5D61ED4-CC26-40B7-A491-9E0678A6D070.jpeg
    F5D61ED4-CC26-40B7-A491-9E0678A6D070.jpeg
    452.7 KB · Views: 220
Just thought I’d update to say I am now the proud owner of a Vado (size medium)! The LBS kindly cut my seat pole for me and it’s now a perfect fit. I’ve only had it 3 days and done 50 miles - and it rides like a dream. Thank you for all the advice, everyone!
Glad the medium worked out! It's my experience that you don't always know if you need small or medium when you are our height, despite what the manufacturer's guide says!

Looks light blue on my computer and phone. Either color it still looks sophisticated and classy.

Back