Specialized Turbo Vado SL: An Incredible E-Bike (User Club)

Hi guys, I have a bit of a problem. The bleed port screw on the rear brake caliper is rounded off so now I am unable to bleed my brakes.
The brakes have been bled only once previously by my local bike shop. It appears that during this process the Torx screw was damaged.

I'm at a loss as to what to do next. I have searched for a Tektro HD-R290 rear brake flat mount caliper to no avail.

Any suggestions? Is there a different caliper which is a straight swap?
I was able to remove a rounded bolt head by superglueing a sacrificial allen key (have plenty from furniture assembly kit). I think it is fairly common/easy for the smaller bike bolts to get rounded and there are a number of youtube videos with various methods for removing rounded bolts. In any case, you will probably want to replace the damaged bolt. I was able to get a good bolt from my lbs's random spare used parts. Have you tried seeing if Tektro's web site has spare/replacement parts available?

I was able to remove a rounded bolt head by superglueing a sacrificial allen key (have plenty from furniture assembly kit). I think it is fairly common/easy for the smaller bike bolts to get rounded and there are a number of youtube videos with various methods for removing rounded bolts. In any case, you will probably want to replace the damaged bolt. I was able to get a good bolt from my lbs's random spare used parts. Have you tried seeing if Tektro's web site has spare/replacement parts available?
I've tried the supergluing trick in the past, it's never really worked for me.
The problem really is that the LBS tightened everything down too much ( the torx bolt at reservoir was so tight that the o-ring split).

I'm resigned to replacing the caliper but although I can find the part on the Tektro website, I cannot buy it direct.
I can source an HD-R280 locally but there is not enough info on the Tektro website to determine whether this is a direct replacement.
In the past I would have used a European supplier but the masterstroke of self-harm known as Brexit has scuppered this.
That's why I'm reaching out to the forum to see if :
a. anyone has the part I need lying around (I've read some have upgraded brakes) or
b. might know whether the HD-R280 (or some other caliper) can be used instead.

so here's my derailleur pics on a 4.0 EQ. Mostly to show the difference in tire clearance between the 32 mm Gatorskins and the 42 mm Pathfinders. My chain can be shorter because the big cog on the casette is 36 instead of the original casette so my derailleur positions aren't quite as extreme.
Oh nice! I went with the 38mm Pathfinders because I thought the 42 wouldn't fit if keeping the rack and fenders. How do the 42 do on tarmac? I wondered if the difference between the 38 and 42 was that pronounced or if it's marginal.
I tried a ride in the local forest and the 38 behaved quite well, but if there's any chance that the 42s offer an overall more polyvalent and efficient take, while fitting with the EQ gear, I may consider switching.

Oh nice! I went with the 38mm Pathfinders because I thought the 42 wouldn't fit if keeping the rack and fenders. How do the 42 do on tarmac? I wondered if the difference between the 38 and 42 was that pronounced or if it's marginal.
I tried a ride in the local forest and the 38 behaved quite well, but if there's any chance that the 42s offer an overall more polyvalent and efficient take, while fitting with the EQ gear, I may consider switching.
The 42 were too tight a fit on the rear since the clearance to the fender bolt heads was very close. I kept the fenders on and switched to 38 mm and went tubeless. I also have a fenderless Tero (that can fit 2.35 in wide tires easily so clearance isn't an issue). Once I get the Tero updated to Class 3 I'll try the 42 mm pathfinders on it, also tubeless. When I used the 42 mm on the Tero previously they were quite good on the road. Of course that is compared to the stock 2.35 in Ground Controls which roll almost as well enough but are very noisy.

The 42 were too tight a fit on the rear since the clearance to the fender bolt heads was very close. I kept the fenders on and switched to 38 mm and went tubeless. I also have a fenderless Tero (that can fit 2.35 in wide tires easily so clearance isn't an issue). Once I get the Tero updated to Class 3 I'll try the 42 mm pathfinders on it, also tubeless. When I used the 42 mm on the Tero previously they were quite good on the road. Of course that is compared to the stock 2.35 in Ground Controls which roll almost as well enough but are very noisy.
Thanks for your experience. It's confirmed, putting on the 42mm will require some hassle and buying to replace the fenders.
Thanks in advance for the review of the 42mm :)

I have a question regarding winter "storage". I have seen that the battery is spec'd to -20/+60 degrees Celsius for storage. Now it hasn't been that cold in the last 10 years, but you never know...

Those of you who don't have heated storage for your bike, how do you protect the battery? Do those neopren sleeves make any sense if the bike is not in use? It's going to cool out with or without them over time, no?

I'm a sunshine biker so the battery being in a ready-to-use state is no concern to me during winter. It's just parked.

I've been loving my TV SL 5.0, but felt bad going on rides with my wife with her riding a 30 year old Specialized Crossroads. She does well until the hills, but then she sometimes has to get off and hike. She's stubborn, and didn't want to pay out for another expensive bike (after mine) since we just bought a house. She finally relented after getting a PTO pay-out (she had too many banked hours), but then we found that there weren't any step-through small frames available (she's small). The waiting game is tough, and we started thinking about 4.0 models or other compromises. However, we stopped by a local dealer this weekend and the saw that they have the exact model due for delivery within a month. Xmas comes early!!! I can't wait for the two of us to take our Vado SL's out together!!!

Attachments

• Biking 17 Mile Drive.jpg
    Biking 17 Mile Drive.jpg
    383.3 KB · Views: 122
I've been loving my TV SL 5.0, but felt bad going on rides with my wife with her riding a 30 year old Specialized Crossroads. She does well until the hills, but then she sometimes has to get off and hike. She's stubborn, and didn't want to pay out for another expensive bike (after mine) since we just bought a house. She finally relented after getting a PTO pay-out (she had too many banked hours), but then we found that there weren't any step-through small frames available (she's small). The waiting game is tough, and we started thinking about 4.0 models or other compromises. However, we stopped by a local dealer this weekend and the saw that they have the exact model due for delivery within a month. Xmas comes early!!! I can't wait for the two of us to take our Vado SL's out together!!!
Good for her and Congrats hope you get it soon make sure you post a pic

I've tried the supergluing trick in the past, it's never really worked for me.

The same trick but with a small blob of JB Weld left to set up for a few hours will work substantially better than superglue.

I also suspect that getting the replacement screw would be not too difficult. Tektro has them here:

although I make no claim as to whether or not this is the correct one.

So I got myself a turbo Vado sl 4.0 today. Lovely bike and will do a bit of a write up on it after a few more rides.

First time back in the saddle for over a decade and feel the firm ride with the stock saddle and post.
Congratulations, Tom! How good you have the Spring where you live! :)
I have noticed Black Friday offers for, e.g. 2021 Vado SL 5.0 EQ at a breathtaking price in Poland! I assume that was not your case?

Congratulations, Tom! How good you have the Spring where you live! :)
I have noticed Black Friday offers for, e.g. 2021 Vado SL 5.0 EQ at a breathtaking price in Poland! I assume that was not your case?
No I got a 4.0 eq at a great price - too good to pass up to consider a 5.0(ie just the bike available).

It’s never that cold in Australia.(although we have had a lot of unusual wet weather).

I’ll enjoy it as is, but I might consider some upgrades as a bit of money left in the bike kitty,

With fenders off, anyone running larger than 42's on the SL/SL EQ? I currently have 38 Pathfinders. I will be doing more riding on gravel and dirt in the upcoming new year. Thinking a little bit more traction on the single tracks would be warranted.

With fenders off, anyone running larger than 42's on the SL/SL EQ? I currently have 38 Pathfinders. I will be doing more riding on gravel and dirt in the upcoming new year. Thinking a little bit more traction on the single tracks would be warranted.
Currently running 35s... :)

Back