Specialized Turbo Vado SL: An Incredible E-Bike (User Club)

Redshift ShockStop Utility Mount

1663980948683.png

I have completed building my Redshift ShockStop system. Now, both Computer Mount and Utility Mount are attached to the ShockStop stem. I have relocated a GoPro Mount from the bars to the Utility Mount, not without issues! The GoPro Mount is 31.8 mm (1 1/4") while the Utility Mount is 25.4 mm (1"). Redshift sells a shim to make up the difference. Unfortunately, Redshift online store for Europe has no Utility Mount available, so I had to buy the UM from Amazon (no shim offered there). Then, I had to make my own shim of a piece of rubber. That was not that easy!

Eventually, my stock Lezyne headlight is past the cables, centrally, and very far forward.

thanks to everyone that has contributed to the SL Thread i am new here and reading and learning a lot, I am very happy with my 4.0 Eq now just looking to add bar ends like the ones that come on Specialized Sirrus bikes I wish i would had taken them off before selling the bike if you know where i can find these let me know TIA

Attachments

• 20220412_063946.jpg
    20220412_063946.jpg
    823.3 KB · Views: 148
Last edited:
thanks to everyone that has contributed to the SL Thread i am new here and reading and learning a lot, I am very happy with my 4.0 Eq now just looking to add bar ends like the ones that come on Specialized Sirrus bikes I wish i would had taken them off before selling the bike if you know where i can find these let me know TIA
I own a 2012 Specialized Sirrus Elite. Do you have a photograph of the specific part you're looking for?

Is it just the little plastic end caps that close off the holes on the handlebar ends?

This looks like them. Model is Targa.

Might be tricky to find any:

I own a 2012 Specialized Sirrus Elite. Do you have a photograph of the specific part you're looking for?

Is it just the little plastic end caps that close off the holes on the handlebar ends?
Thanks no look at the picture I uploaded its the bar ends handles
Yes Richard those are it I can't find them

Just bought a Turbo Vado 5.0 SL non EQ.

VERY addictive unlike my "normal" pedal bike.

I know you all know all this but I had no idea as I "assumed" buying an e'bike was a resignation to a less active riding life at age 66.

Of course I was wrong.

I can get up a steep series of nearby hills good riders struggle with on $10,000 race bikes that I tried once back in the day and gave up half way and never bothered again.

The interesting thing is because you pretty much know you can make it you make the extra effort despite the assist and in effect I am working harder and attacking different leg muscles/thigh muscles than I do on my regular bike where I pretty much say, "screw the hills, I'm sticking to the flats."

Even on flat ground I'm finding I'm working harder as I'm going 50+ percent faster with the same effort depending on the mode.

12 mph as a "normal" comfy pace becomes 18 mph and pushing it goes from 15-20 to 20-30 so you end up pushing it more often.

I think I'll be getting more of a workout on this thing by far than the other bike which is not at all what I was expecting as I feared I'd just take it easy and let the bike do most of the work.

Both bikes weigh the same, as my Kona Nunu, a Mountain Bike now riding on Hybrid Tires at a bit over 30 lbs is a bit porky. For an E'bike 33 lbs is very light and the aluminum frame and carbon fiber fork give it a far more nimble/lighter feel.
Even with no assist the E'bike, with its superior components, is easier to pedal and glides easier/faster downhill, so zero range anxiety and no need to buy the optional extender battery for me.

The speed is the reward on the E'bike though.

Very very odd.

I can see having a lot of fun in the hills above my house where traffic is light and where I never ever ventured before because I didn't want to struggle up them.

That was my hope.

So, despite being quite expensive, (you can buy one heck of a great A/V system for 5 grand), I think it is great value for me as I will actually be getting more exercise than ever and at age 66 that is priceless.

And a small part of it is that riding without my riding partner of many years, (who I had an idiotic falling out with after decades), who was always slower, does indeed allow me to push more, so there is that.

Since the photo I've added a bar end mirror and kickstand.

I've always taken kickstands off but this one is too nice to just drop on the ground or lean against a tree.

Attachments

• Turbo Vado SL 5.0 (2).JPG
    Turbo Vado SL 5.0 (2).JPG
    672 KB · Views: 169
Just bought a Turbo Vado 5.0 SL non EQ.

VERY addictive unlike my "normal" pedal bike.

I know you all know all this but I had no idea as I "assumed" buying an e'bike was a resignation to a less active riding life at age 66.

Of course I was wrong.

I can get up a steep series of nearby hills good riders struggle with on $10,000 race bikes that I tried once back in the day and gave up half way and never bothered again.

The interesting thing is because you pretty much know you can make it you make the extra effort despite the assist and in effect I am working harder and attacking different leg muscles/thigh muscles than I do on my regular bike where I pretty much say, "screw the hills, I'm sticking to the flats."

Even on flat ground I'm finding I'm working harder as I'm going 50+ percent faster with the same effort depending on the mode.

12 mph as a "normal" comfy pace becomes 18 mph and pushing it goes from 15-20 to 20-30 so you end up pushing it more often.

I think I'll be getting more of a workout on this thing by far than the other bike which is not at all what I was expecting as I feared I'd just take it easy and let the bike do most of the work.

Both bikes weigh the same, as my Kona Nunu, a Mountain Bike now riding on Hybrid Tires at a bit over 30 lbs is a bit porky. For an E'bike 33 lbs is very light and the aluminum frame and carbon fiber fork give it a far more nimble/lighter feel.
Even with no assist the E'bike, with its superior components, is easier to pedal and glides easier/faster downhill, so zero range anxiety and no need to buy the optional extender battery for me.

The speed is the reward on the E'bike though.

Very very odd.

I can see having a lot of fun in the hills above my house where traffic is light and where I never ever ventured before because I didn't want to struggle up them.

That was my hope.

So, despite being quite expensive, (you can buy one heck of a great A/V system for 5 grand), I think it is great value for me as I will actually be getting more exercise than ever and at age 66 that is priceless.

And a small part of it is that riding without my riding partner of many years, (who I had an idiotic falling out with after decades), who was always slower, does indeed allow me to push more, so there is that.

Since the photo I've added a bar end mirror and kickstand.

I've always taken kickstands off but this one is too nice to just drop on the ground or lean against a tree.

Congratulations on your new favorite bike. When I bought my SL I equated the 'mode' switch on the handlebar with effort. If I needed help - press it. But I was so wrong. Really, for me anyway, it's a speed switch. And that's because having an SL has never reduced my effort. I'm still cranking out the same watts no matter the assistance and when I go from eco-sport-turbo, I just go faster. I love it. The SL is a bikers e-bike. That's the best thing about it.

Congratulations on your new favorite bike. When I bought my SL I equated the 'mode' switch on the handlebar with effort. If I needed help - press it. But I was so wrong. Really, for me anyway, it's a speed switch. And that's because having an SL has never reduced my effort. I'm still cranking out the same watts no matter the assistance and when I go from eco-sport-turbo, I just go faster. I love it. The SL is a bikers e-bike. That's the best thing about it.
It was a revelation to me though a well known fact on this forum.

I'm guessing the only improvement to the bike in the next year or two will be a carbon version which is certainly not something I'd trade in this bike for.

The "invisible" Futureshock is something I wanted and for me it works perfectly for my kind of riding.

How the derailleur gets the chain onto that biggest rear cog remains a mystery of engineering to me but it gets up there no problem.

Attachments

• Turbo Vadl SL sprockets.JPG
    Turbo Vadl SL sprockets.JPG
    536.9 KB · Views: 140
Anyone upgrading/upgraded their Sram GX derailleur to AXS? Seems like they are on sale at a few places right now for $420. Ordered it and should be getting next week. Also ordered an upgraded paddle shifter for $20.

Wondering if there is any way of powering the derailleur off the main battery?

I emailed Sram to ask if the derailleur would work, and they said yes, AXS eagle GX is a direct replacement for regular eagle GX. They also said it was unusual that Specialized used an 11 speed front chainring with a 12-speed rear derailleur. (Gave them specs from the Specialized website)

Anyone upgrading/upgraded their Sram GX derailleur to AXS? Seems like they are on sale at a few places right now for $420. Ordered it and should be getting next week. Also ordered an upgraded paddle shifter for $20.

Wondering if there is any way of powering the derailleur off the main battery?

I emailed Sram to ask if the derailleur would work, and they said yes, AXS eagle GX is a direct replacement for regular eagle GX. They also said it was unusual that Specialized used an 11 speed front chainring with a 12-speed rear derailleur. (Gave them specs from the Specialized website)
IDK, the derailleur works perfectly on my bike, why are you "upgrading"?

I am thinking of swapping out the pedals for metal ones so I can add toe clips.

IDK, the derailleur works perfectly on my bike, why are you "upgrading"?

I am thinking of swapping out the pedals for metal ones so I can add toe clips.
Nerd factor 😃 faster/more accurate shifting. Less cables? Bored because it's too cold to ride and not enough snow to ski yet? 😃

Reactions: GAJ
Nerd factor 😃 faster/more accurate shifting. Less cables? Bored because it's too cold to ride and not enough snow to ski yet? 😃
Ah, ok, I thought there might be a more technical reason or some design flaw you were trying to correct.

Hi guys, I have a bit of a problem. The bleed port screw on the rear brake caliper is rounded off so now I am unable to bleed my brakes.
The brakes have been bled only once previously by my local bike shop. It appears that during this process the Torx screw was damaged.

I'm at a loss as to what to do next. I have searched for a Tektro HD-R290 rear brake flat mount caliper to no avail.

Any suggestions? Is there a different caliper which is a straight swap?

Back