Specialized Turbo Vado SL: An Incredible E-Bike (User Club)

With fenders off, anyone running larger than 42's on the SL/SL EQ?
700 x 47mm on a SL 5 EQ
tubeless
28417B93-865B-4DB1-8F6D-90211873FF7E.jpeg953CF321-6C50-4CDD-906D-4767EF723A01.jpeg

So one of the first things I am looking to equip my turbo Vado sl with is some bags to carry my work stuff on a commute.

It’s a “rack time” rear rack. Assume that’s standard. Can anyone recommend one of their bags?

Needs to fit a laptop in it as my most common thing to carry around I think.

So one of the first things I am looking to equip my turbo Vado sl with is some bags to carry my work stuff on a commute.

It’s a “rack time” rear rack. Assume that’s standard. Can anyone recommend one of their bags?

Tom: The rack on the Vado SL 4.0 EQ is rather small. The only matching pannier I could find is the Specialized Tailwind. Yes, it is has a pocket good for a laptop.
P.S. A fun-fact: Today, my black Tailwind could fit:
  • My wallet
  • A set of hex keys
  • An MTB pump
  • A bottle of good Ale
  • A can of good Ale
  • A big bottle of Becherovka, Czech herb liquer
  • A bottle of Captain Morgan Rum
:) Not a very spacious pannier, still very practical and stable. A great feature: If you put it on the ground, it stays upright there.

Last edited:
I also thought these might be cool and I just put a bag inside them…not sure if a bit heavy.

I am quite negative to the "RackTime ware". I can still remember the time I bought the original Racktime Tour (or whatever the name of that box was), and that box could not be ever closed, so bad the workmanship was. I kept the box for almost 3 years and eventually it ended in the dustbin.

Last edited:
Tom: The Tailwind is just dedicated for the Vado SL. I spoke about it with Specialized Warsaw people, and we decided Fjallraven was not the proper stuff. The triangle height of the Vado SL rack is just 24 cm. For instance, no Ortlieb pannier fits that rack.

Tom: The Tailwind is just dedicated for the Vado SL. I spoke about it with Specialized Warsaw people, and we decided Fjallraven was not the proper stuff. The triangle height of the Vado SL rack is just 24 cm. For instance, no Ortlieb pannier fits that rack.
Right…

This is the rack currently on the bike.
043569B7-A831-4890-BDB4-4946836A7621.jpeg

Not sure if stock or what the LBS fitted. But if it is the one which ships with the Turbo Vado SL you are saying the cool caves are no go. Whereas the tailwind bags will clip on and fit nicely?

Whereas the tailwind bags will clip on and fit nicely?
1669517055431.png

You need a Philips screwdriver to adjust the Tailwind. After that is done, it is as solid as a rock. My feet are large, so I had to relegate the Tailwind to the rear of the rack to avoid heel-strikes.

1669517178578.png

My Tailwind serves me well on gravel group rides. I store up to 3 Range Extenders, sports drinks, a sandwich, tools, a pump, and a spare inner tube there.

Last edited:
Thanks for the pictures. What type of riding do you mostly do? What inspired you to go wider?
Dry, fair weather riding here in the desert southwest. :cool:
Most miles are on pavement, but the most fun miles are often on hardback dirt or gravel.
Wider tires provide more cushion and traction and don't seem to have a negative effect.

Here are some pics from February and March (Death Valley Natl Park, Anza Borrego Desert State Park)
I'm running 700x47 tires, mrs levity is running 27.5x2 tires

1. Dantes View.jpg

2. 20Mule 1.jpg

3. 20 Mule 2.jpg

4. Anza Borrego.jpg

Out for the season. Scrambled my ankle into small pieces. Hopefully back in the spring. Keeping up with all the SL news so I can get back in the saddle!

Attachments

• 20221127_054442.jpg
    20221127_054442.jpg
    249.9 KB · Views: 99
I regularly use Vaude panniers on my Vado SL 4.0 EQ. I previously posted some photos at
Post in thread 'Panniers for Turbo Vado SL EQ 5.0'
https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/panniers-for-turbo-vado-sl-eq-5-0.47935/post-519033

Compared to many other panniers they sit quite high which suits the Racktime rack. The lock-on fixings are very adjustable and they come with 3 sets of rubber spacers to suit the diameter of the rack tubing. I currently use them mostly for shopping and use small padlocks in the holes provided in the pannier fixing clips to deter theft.

in 2019, I used the same panniers on a different bike (Giant Toughroad with Topeak rack) for a few weeks hotel-based touring in Germany and France.

I use a Thule pack n pedal pannier for my 10 mile commute. It will easily carry laptop.

I had a speed sensor error which needed a few switch off -on to get working again. I wonder if the sensor was dirty

I have meanwhile purchased 3 different types of bags for my Vado SL Rack Time system:

Those are two Ortlieb panniers and they're doing just fine as removable bike trunks :)

Attachments

• 320393713_717085549644613_3539413824356572743_n.jpg
    320393713_717085549644613_3539413824356572743_n.jpg
    216.8 KB · Views: 123
Back