Specialized Turbo Vado SL: An Incredible E-Bike (User Club)

the chain got badly stuck at the bottom bracket
I’ve had this happen twice, once before taking it back to the shop and once after. Since I was in a middle gear it wouldn’t seem it had to do with the derailleur. Maybe chain too long? I was able to get a link or two back on the chainring and roll it out both times, with difficulty.

I will need to work with the H and L limit screws properly.
I’m sold on SRAM GX AXS. It took just a few minutes to dial it in. To set the limit screws you switch to an outer gear, turn its respective screw in until it contacts the stop, then back it out 1/4 turn. The indexing is set using the shift lever and button on the shifter. Very easy and no cable to stretch and mess things up.

I’ve had this happen twice, once before taking it back to the shop and once after. Since I was in a middle gear it wouldn’t seem it had to do with the derailleur. Maybe chain too long? I was able to get a link or two back on the chainring and roll it out both times, with difficulty.
The specific chain on my Vado SL is at its minimum length...

I’m sold on SRAM GX AXS. It took just a few minutes to dial it in. To set the limit screws you switch to an outer gear, turn its respective screw in until it contacts the stop, then back it out 1/4 turn. The indexing is set using the shift lever and button on the shifter. Very easy and no cable to stretch and mess things up.
The electronic shifter is certainly a good thing. I cannot justify the cost though. It will be simpler just to adjust the traditional derailleur.

Well 68 degrees yesterday after minus 6 last week, just never know in the Midwest. On route 66 outside St. Louis Missouri,
IMG_0036[1].JPG

Does anyone have a front rack? I’m looking for something to carry my daughters little school bag :) her seats in the way of the rack.

I’ve finally made a few more upgrades to my bike post Xmas and got some new accessories (I picked up a proviz jacket).

- Quadlock holder for my iPhone
- TCD computer
- Ortlieb panniers (they don’t look great because they are empty)

I’m waiting for a bracket for my light to mount under my TCD from my LBS.

Stefan thanks again for your tips/advice

Attachments

• E6A88ABE-02C0-46A3-9FAC-AC9D45F0D68C.jpeg
    E6A88ABE-02C0-46A3-9FAC-AC9D45F0D68C.jpeg
    224.2 KB · Views: 159
  • 4FE77C7F-D520-4D5D-B47A-85AA95877670.jpeg
    4FE77C7F-D520-4D5D-B47A-85AA95877670.jpeg
    180.2 KB · Views: 166
Last edited:
Just returned from our LBS with one Vado 4.0 SL (for me) and one Vado 5.0 SL (for the wife). I've read through all 91 pages of this thread and have learned a lot from all of you. We are excited to begin this journey! Let me start with a few questions:
1) I have a Garmin Edge Touring Pro cycling computer that has ANT + capability. I am able to pair the device and see the odometer, but most of the fields are blank. I'm finding it very hard to find any info on line regarding how to use the Garmin with an ebike. Any advice as I'd love to get this to work?
2) I read that some of the modern bikes are firmware upgradable though Mission Control but our bike shop thought only the 5.0 SL was. So we have to go to the bike shop for the 4.0 SL?

Congratulations!
2) I read that some of the modern bikes are firmware upgradable though Mission Control but our bike shop thought only the 5.0 SL was. So we have to go to the bike shop for the 4.0 SL?
If the SL 5.0 has the Mastermind and the SL 4.0 has the Gen 1 TCU then the answer is "Yes".

No experience with Garmin so I cannot answer (1).

Just returned from our LBS with one Vado 4.0 SL (for me) and one Vado 5.0 SL (for the wife). I've read through all 91 pages of this thread and have learned a lot from all of you. We are excited to begin this journey! Let me start with a few questions:
1) I have a Garmin Edge Touring Pro cycling computer that has ANT + capability. I am able to pair the device and see the odometer, but most of the fields are blank. I'm finding it very hard to find any info on line regarding how to use the Garmin with an ebike. Any advice as I'd love to get this to work?
congrats Texasbill, you can use Garmin connect IQ app to download E-Bike app from Garmin to your phone and then update your Garmin device next time you connect to it I have Edge 830 and it works it shows me the power level assist level and distance Battery you have to go to your setting on Garmin and then chose E-Bike for one of your screens good luck

Really been enjoying my Turbo Vado SL 4.0 for about a year and a half now. I just got done with its first major maintenance, replacing the brakes. It’s also now on its second chain replacement. Still on original tires. They seem fine. I did catch one flat but roadside patched it and it’s been going without issue.

I can’t wait for a lightweight bike with an internal hub gear system and a belt drive. That’s probably the only thing that’ll get me to upgrade. Otherwise, it’s been an excellent commuter bicycle for me, doing about 80 miles a week. I’d be much happier without cleaning and lubing the chain :)

A few months ago Rene from Rider Care said they had no plans for a belt drive Turbo Vado SL at the moment. A belt drive system would make me want to upgrade from my 2.5 year old Vado SL 4.0 which has also been fantastic, on my second motor now.

A few months ago Rene from Rider Care said they had no plans for a belt drive Turbo Vado SL at the moment. A belt drive system would make me want to upgrade from my 2.5 year old Vado SL 4.0 which has also been fantastic, on my second motor now.
Second motor? Wow. What happened to the first?

IGH will make the SL the NRSL (Not Really Super Lightweight). Como SL with IGH is about the heaviest SL e-bike (not much more lightweight than the Como with the derailleur).

With fenders off, anyone running larger than 42's on the SL/SL EQ? I currently have 38 Pathfinders. I will be doing more riding on gravel and dirt in the upcoming new year. Thinking a little bit more traction on the single tracks would be warranted.
I have the Electrak 2.0 Armadillo 700x51 on the rear because if its very good puncture resistance.
Very tight clearances and had to true the wheel to prevent it from rubbing against the seat stay and chain stays.

I checked my Mission Control app. I don’t normally check it.

2200 miles on my bike. As mentioned, two chain replacements and one set of brakes replaced. I haven’t changed the tires but they seem ok? Any recommendations on tires for this bike? I just ride on paved roads that are in pretty good condition.

Also, is there a way to upgrade the firmware without going to the Specialized bike store? I don’t want to shell out cash for a firmware update for the bike when everything seems to be OK.

I checked my Mission Control app. I don’t normally check it.

2200 miles on my bike. As mentioned, two chain replacements and one set of brakes replaced. I haven’t changed the tires but they seem ok? Any recommendations on tires for this bike? I just ride on paved roads that are in pretty good condition.

Also, is there a way to upgrade the firmware without going to the Specialized bike store? I don’t want to shell out cash for a firmware update for the bike when everything seems to be OK.
A great resource for tires is https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/

As for me, I highly recommend Continental Grand Prix 5000’s for road riding. Great low rolling resistance, light weight, with decent puncture resistance.

Back