Specialized Turbo Vado SL: An Incredible E-Bike (User Club)

No price reductions in the USA yet:

Vado SL still:
5.0 EQ $5250
5.0 $5000
4.0 EQ $4000
4.0 $3750
You can get the 2021 SL 5.0 for $4500...and if you need an XL, $4400.

You can get the 2021 SL 5.0 for $4500...and if you need an XL, $4400.

That's interesting. Just UK then. £2500 = $3000 on today's prices. So a saving of $1000 on US prices. Approx given different taxes/ real exchange rates etc.

That's interesting. Just UK then. £2500 = $3000 on today's prices. So a saving of $1000 on US prices. Approx given different taxes/ real exchange rates etc.
The UK price includes taxes while the U.S. one is before tax. (Am I right?)

The UK price includes taxes while the U.S. one is before tax. (Am I right?)
Here are some (slashed) Creos. Never seen a Creo for under £3K before. Giant is having a sale as well. It might be just the usual clear out before new models, or lack of buyers in UK because we are all spending all our hard earned cash on feckin' heating bills!

Screenshot 2023-02-21 at 18.09.58.png

Here are some (slashed) Creos. Never seen a Creo for under £3K before. Giant is having a sale as well. It might be just the usual clear out before new models, or lack of buyers in UK because we are all spending all our hard earned cash on feckin' heating bills!

View attachment 147464
Check the available sizes though.
Same discounts for Poland.

The e-bike maintenance is so annoying!

1677101551699.png

The chain in my Fearless (Vado SL 4.0) stretched to 0.5% at some 1900 km (1,180 mi). I also need to replace one of the inner tubes...
(Still, I have to replace the chain on my full power Vado 6.0 every 1600 km (1,000 mi). A little bit more frequently).

Could not find a reasonably priced 10-speed, 116L chain using a Quick Link, hence spare connecting pins, just in case. (My Vado SL cassette is not the stock one; I replaced it with a 11-36T one. Not only more equal gear spread but also shorter & less expensive chain).

The e-bike maintenance is so annoying!

View attachment 147572
The chain in my Fearless (Vado SL 4.0) stretched to 0.5% at some 1900 km (1,180 mi). I also need to replace one of the inner tubes...
(Still, I have to replace the chain on my full power Vado 6.0 every 1600 km (1,000 mi). A little bit more frequently).

Could not find a reasonably priced 10-speed, 116L chain using a Quick Link, hence spare connecting pins, just in case. (My Vado SL cassette is not the stock one; I replaced it with a 11-36T one. Not only more equal gear spread but also shorter & less expensive chain).
It can cost you, when least expected and then the prices seem high. I always try and stock up on things like inner tubes and lube when I see bargains. But there is always something you need that you don't happen to have at the time! I currently have 3 bikes with different needs/sizes but in the winter I tend to mostly use the Vado SL so that gets more attention, the non electric bikes I use in better weather. Looking forward to riding them in the warm sunshine in a month or so!

The chain in my Fearless (Vado SL 4.0) stretched to 0.5% at some 1900 km (1,180 mi). I also need to replace one of the inner tubes...…

wow, that’s pretty short life. maybe try some different lube and cleaning regimes? i recently learned that my chain cleaning routine was doing a great job cleaning the outer plates of the chain (not very useful lol) while not doing a great job on the interior parts. have you tried drip wax? supposedly much longer chain and cassette life!

Chain life depends on ride conditions as well as maintenance, so it's tough to predict how long a chain will last.

Here's a quick and easy waxing method that I use. Maxima spray-on chain lube worked great on my motos and has proven itself on my bikes as well.
The carrier solvent cleans and helps transport the wax inside the plates and onto the rollers.

Maxima Chain Wax.jpg

Just be aware the 2021 SL 5.0 has the older TCU rather than the new Mastermind TCU with customizable display.

May or may not matter to someone, but worth knowing the difference exists.

View attachment 148047View attachment 148048
Actually no, my 2021 has the mastermind display on the top bar...or is that the older TCU which I thought was on the handlebar?

My build date is 10/23/21.

Attachments

• Turbo Vado pedals and toe clips.JPG
    Turbo Vado pedals and toe clips.JPG
    429.8 KB · Views: 113
Actually no, my 2021 has the mastermind display on the top bar...or is that the older TCU which I thought was on the handlebar?

Looks like a Mastermind to me. TCU 1 displays no data, just bars.

Looks like a Mastermind to me. TCU 1 displays no data, just bars.
Yes, mine shows date but as I don't have a smartphone I don't use the phone app to customize anything and am fine with it "stock."

I just wish it had a miles since new odometer as well as the trip odometer available on the bike display vs going to the app.

Looks like you got a 2022 model sold as a 2021. Makes sense given the end-of-october build date.

Specialized support site and the photos on your web link say/show the 2021 models got the older version, while 2022+ models get the newer Mastermind TCU that you have. So while it's *possible* someone might receive the newer version when buying a 2021 model, I would say that'd be an exception and not to be expected.

1677606383616.png

From your web link:

1677606269992.png

Buy the SL Range Extenders in the U.S. while they are so cheap!
View attachment 148268
The price is stiff at €460 in Europe...
I agree. The best accessory investment I’ve made for mine. No more range anxiety and less time on the charger.

Sixty to 70 miles on a charge over several rides this winter. I didn’t pay attention, so can’t say what the difference might be for summer weather.

Back