Specialized Turbo Vado SL: An Incredible E-Bike (User Club)

New mad looking Sirrus - hint for the next gen Vado SL/Creo?!
Weird! Bigger vertical deflection? Maybe fine but wouldn't it create "pedal bob"? Greater horizontal deflection? But that's what should be avoided. Also... I can see these new frames breaking after many thousand of vibration cycles. Wondering if Specialized made any fatigue tests on that frame...

I rode a Sirrus for 5 years before myTurbo Vado SL 4.0. After 2.5 years still love the SL but I just got back from a test drive of the new Sirrus X5.0 in a medium frame. Can’t get over how lightweight it is. If it wasn’t for the 20mph head wind I might have been tempted to switch back to the Sirrus.

I rode a Sirrus for 5 years before myTurbo Vado SL 4.0. After 2.5 years still love the SL but I just got back from a test drive of the new Sirrus X5.0 in a medium frame. Can’t get over how lightweight it is. If it wasn’t for the 20mph head wind I might have been tempted to switch back to the Sirrus.
Was that already the Sirrus X with the new strange frame?

Yes but if it is not posted on Specialized website then it officially does not exist. For instance, I'd like to know about the regional availability.

it's on the front page today

1680048405684.png

it's also on the UK site, but not the handful of continental europe ones i looked at. it's funny that when this patent was leaked, everyone thought it was the new roubaix! i would not be surprised to see this being the basis for the new creo, vado sl, and roubaix, all of which shared some elements like the future shock.

Thank you, Mark! It will be probably premiered in Europe during the day here.
How good I'm too heavy for carbon frames :)

Not sure my 5.0 SL needs to be any lighter to be honest; despite the future shock it is rigid as hell. The carbon fiber fork is part of the reason I'm guessing as every bump of any size is an impact.

Last edited:
Not sure my 5.0 SL needs to be any lighter to be honest; despite the future shock it is rigid as hell. The carbon fiber fork is part of the reason I'm guessing as every bump of any size is an impact.
Surprising to hear it! Perhaps the Futureshock could be tuned? Are you a lightweight person or are you on the other side?

Some interesting observations of mine:
  • I use Redshift Shockstop stem on a Vado SL 4. It worked like a dream with a single elastomer piece. After I added Innerbarends, the suspension stem stopped working! I thought to myself the character of my e-bike had changed, so I added the second elastomer piece (as it were drop handlebars). The ShockStop started working again!
  • I was provided with a new Kinect 2.1 suspension seatpost as a part of my big Vado warranty repair/upgrade. Soon, I discovered the seatpost seemed not to be working! My brother who rode behind me said: "It looks your own body weight makes the suspension totally compressed since you have mounted the bike!" He was right. I increased the preload on the springs, and the suspension works as intended now.

Is it possible your body weight is compressing the Futureshock so it does not work and the additional spring should be installed there?

Surprising to hear it! Perhaps the Futureshock could be tuned? Are you a lightweight person or are you on the other side?

Some interesting observations of mine:
  • I use Redshift Shockstop stem on a Vado SL 4. It worked like a dream with a single elastomer piece. After I added Innerbarends, the suspension stem stopped working! I thought to myself the character of my e-bike had changed, so I added the second elastomer piece (as it were drop handlebars). The ShockStop started working again!
  • I was provided with a new Kinect 2.1 suspension seatpost as a part of my big Vado warranty repair/upgrade. Soon, I discovered the seatpost seemed not to be working! My brother who rode behind me said: "It looks your own body weight makes the suspension totally compressed since you have mounted the bike!" He was right. I increased the preload on the springs, and the suspension works as intended now.

Is it possible your body weight is compressing the Futureshock so it does not work and the additional spring should be installed there?
Yes, it does come with optional inserts for the Futureshock so I likely need to go that route at 200lbs/91kg.

Yes, it does come with optional inserts for the Futureshock so I likely need to go that route at 200lbs/91kg.
I weigh 96 kg/212 lb, and with my weight adjustments need to be done on the suspension pieces I use.
I just thought the FutureShock might be just fully compressed from the start in your case (that's why it's not working). Some other users of FutureShock were delighted with the performance!

@jodi2: Are you there? Could you share some thoughts on FutureShock?

I could be wrong, but it seems to me the FutureShock 1.5 is supposed to have one of the springs in it, choosing which one based on expected riding/conditions?

I could be wrong, but it seems to me the FutureShock 1.5 is supposed to have one of the springs in it, choosing which one based on expected riding/conditions?

I was watching a video on FS1.5, and there is an extra spring to be installed in the case of need. Otherwise the chamber for the extra spring is empty.

Hi Gaj as well as checking out what’s happening with the future shock check your tyres as well. If it’s the pathfinder sport ones they aren’t great for suspension. Bit hard. There are better more supple tyres out there. Also check the tyre pressure, you might have them pumped too hard which will make them feel like concrete. These days the science has realised that with good quality supple tyres we can have bigger volume tyres which the extra air really helps with suspension while being no slower then the high pressure narrow tyres I used race on back in the 80s!

The carbon fork should help with compliance- carbon forks are designed to help reduce road vibration. Compared to alloy forks which have no spring at all. In other words I’d suggest checking the basics are working for you before spending money as you’ll know then if you need seat or stem suspension or just better tyres. I found the Vado SL (4) very stiff when I got it. The alloy frame is very unforgiving! I have better tyres and an adjusted cockpit that suits me better now. And of course we don’t know what state the roads or trails are where you ride. That’s important too. Good luck.

I was watching a video on FS1.5, and there is an extra spring to be installed in the case of need. Otherwise the chamber for the extra spring is empty.
Can you send me the link?

I just pulled out my springs from the box expecting there to be two of the three options in there, with the missing one being in the bike, but no, there are THREE springs, soft, medium and hard.

Very very odd that my bike may have no spring whatsoever!

Thanks.

Back