Specialized Turbo Vado SL: An Incredible E-Bike (User Club)

Can you send me the link?

I just pulled out my springs from the box expecting there to be two of the three options in there, with the missing one being in the bike, but no, there are THREE springs, soft, medium and hard.

Very very odd that my bike may have no spring whatsoever!

Thanks.
It has one internal spring installed. The other three are optional.

I watched this video out of sheer interest:

Reactions: GAJ
It has one internal spring installed. The other three are optional.

I watched this video out of sheer interest:
Intersting; the thee springs in the box are "helper" springs that supplement the main spring which is why I did notice some damping but tomorrow I'll try the medium (black) helper spring.

Thanks a bunch.

Took 5 minutes to verify that indeed all the helper springs were in the bag, none in the bike.

Loosen pinch bolts on steering stem.

Use your fingers to unscrew the finger tight cover on top of the stem.

Remove stem and attached handlebar and place carefully on front wheel, (used a bungee cord to keep it there).

Use an adjustable wrench to remove the cover for the spring compartment.

Drop in the spring, (I attached it to the cover for proper placement), and tighten the spring cover with adjustable wrench to "tight" but not overly so.

Replace stem/handlebar and align.

Replace stem cover with fingers.

Tighten pinch bolts on steering stem.

I used the medium spring (black) as the soft spring didn't seem to offer any resistance to even a finger squeeze while the hard spring only offered resistance.

I think that will take care of the harshness/bottoming out when going over such things as railroad tracks.

Last edited:
@GAJ:
A German user @jodi2 wrote in another thread (Vado SL vs Creo SL) that Futureshock worked perfectly for him unlike "other suspension stems" (he meant Redshift). Meaning: the suspension stems work excellently as long as you fine tune them :) Because I love my Redshift! :)

Hi Guys,

Im new here but i have read this topic a few times now. Im the owner of a Vado SL eq 5.0 (the yellow one) for quite some time now and im really liking it.
I was thinking to treat myself to some upgrades in components and i started looking at the Canyon VCLS 15. Does anyone have that seatpost on their Vado? Is it any good?

On another note i saw some Creo vs Vado a while back and just wanted to let people know that there is also the surly corner bar. Don't have it myself but i do think it will make the Vado a bit more like the Creo. For me the power in the Vado lies in the the EQ. Can't see myself commuting here in the netherlands without the fenders....

I was thinking to treat myself to some upgrades in components and i started looking at the Canyon VCLS 15. Does anyone have that seatpost on their Vado? Is it any good?
Well, it fits. I haven't read any report on the performance of that seat-post. Carbon, eh? :) Weight limits, aye?
Why wouldn't you just try the Redshift ShockStop Seatpost? It cannot crack, it fits, it works, it is proven.

1680265520730.png

On another note i saw some Creo vs Vado a while back and just wanted to let people know that there is also the surly corner bar. Don't have it myself but i do think it will make the Vado a bit more like the Creo.
Surly Corner Bar would not work. The issue here is the diameter of the bar: 25.4 mm. The Specialized handlebar remote (the one with + -) is for 22.2 mm and there is no way you could do anything about that.

Perhaps you might consider the Redshift Quick-Release Aerobars?

1680265252819.png

I was tempted to buy them (and I know they would fit) but am afraid to ride on Aerobars.

Another idea is to just add SQlab Innerbarends. These are ergonomic, safe, and mimic riding in drop bar "hoods". I cannot ride without Innerbarends anymore!
The 411 will fit any handlebar grips.

These need the 710 SQlab grips, size S to fit the Vado SL.

The 710s.

1680265918816.png

My Vado SL EQ with Redshift ShockStop Suspension Seatpost, SQlab Innerbarends 410/402, and 710 grips (Small).

Last edited:
Reactions: TYJ
Hi Guys,

For me the power in the Vado lies in the the EQ. Can't see myself commuting here in the netherlands without the fenders....
That's how bicycling differs in Europe vs here in the States, especially in the Netherlands.

There it is a form of transportation and a commute vehicle, here it is for recreation usually in nice weather so no fenders required.

I was struck with the ferocity of bicycle commuters in Amsterdam, they have a "get the hell out of my way or I'm running you down" mentality when it comes to pedestrians which is most definitely not true here.

But where do you parkyour expensive bike at work; surely you don't leave it outside unlocked as most normal commuter bicycles I saw in the Netherlands are parked?

That's one reason I don't use my bike to go to the store; it would get stolen in a hot second even if locked here in nice suburban Santa Rosa in Sonoma County Wine Country.

Sooo... I washed my Vado SL (with the wheels taken off and washed separately) under the shower. (I have no other way except of going to a manual car-wash and wash the e-bike under low pressure spray). I was paying a special attention to cover the hole in the bottom of the motor cover as to not let water get in there.

1680322488519.png

The wheels before applying automotive brake cleaner to the cassette and brake rotors.

A couple of hours later, I turned the e-bike on to find out an error message was displayed on the TCU! Ouch. I turned Mission Control on not to find any diagnostic message there! Worried, I turned to @Allan47.7339 for help (he is a master in finding the documentation on the internet, and a knowledgeable person!) Allan showed me a page with TCU error codes (it is for Creo but it is same for Vado SL):

A relief! It looks the CR1620 button battery in the TCU has been almost flat. I've rummaged through my drawer to find many types of spare batteries but no CR1620! How good it is Saturday so I can ride to the big electronics store to buy the battery (it is available in the nearest one), and to a drugstore to buy tweezers :) Fortunately, I own a Torx T10 key to remove the TCU...

Well, it fits. I haven't read any report on the performance of that seat-post. Carbon, eh? :) Weight limits, aye?
Why wouldn't you just try the Redshift ShockStop Seatpost? It cannot crack, it fits, it works, it is

I’ve heard good things about the VLCS post but have never ridden on one. It’s a simple, elegant solution, a fraction the weight of the shockstop (220g vs 547g), but with a higher weight limit (130kg for bike and rider). I’d guess it doesn’t create the bouncing around that a suspension post does at high effort and high cadence!

I’ve heard good things about the VLCS post but have never ridden on one. It’s a simple, elegant solution, a fraction the weight of the shockstop (220g vs 547g), but with a higher weight limit (130kg for bike and rider). I’d guess it doesn’t create the bouncing around that a suspension post does at high effort and high cadence!
Good summary here:

I use them both and completely agree on his analysis, although he doesnt have a strava account or use his strava account to get credibility.

Kinekt is better for the bigger hits, Redshift is better for milder gravel rides. I have them on bikes which match these criteria

Redshift tops out at 240#, Kinekt is around #330.

Personally, I prefer the redshift sue to the stealthier design but I wouldnt hesitate to recommend either

Last edited:
I ride both.
Kinekt fits my Vado 6.0 better because of the native diameter of 30.9 mm and the length of 420 mm. Redshift is perfect for my Vado SL because of the size of 27.2 mm and it feels more lightweight.
As I'm writing this, have just stopped on a Kinekt 2.1 ride and I repeat I get a slight pedal bob with this seat-post despite increase of the preload on the seat-post springs a few days ago.

20230401_110128-01.jpeg

Last edited:
Good summary here:

I use them both and completely agree on his analysis, although he doesnt have a strava account or use his strava account to get credibility.

Kinekt is better for the bigger hits, Redshift is better for milder gravel rides. I have them on bikes which match these criteria

Redshift tops out at 240#, Kinekt is around #330.

Personally, I prefer the redshift sue to the stealthier design but I wouldnt hesitate to recommend either

i wonder how the VLCS post compares though…

Those seat posts aren't on my radar as I lift my butt from the seat to cross major bumps.

Why wouldn't you just try the Redshift ShockStop Seatpost? It cannot crack, it fits, it works, it is proven.

View attachment 150621

Surly Corner Bar would not work. The issue here is the diameter of the bar: 25.4 mm. The Specialized handlebar remote (the one with + -) is for 22.2 mm and there is no way you could do anything about that.

Perhaps you might consider the Redshift Quick-Release Aerobars?

View attachment 150620
I was tempted to buy them (and I know they would fit) but am afraid to ride on Aerobars.

Another idea is to just add SQlab Innerbarends. These are ergonomic, safe, and mimic riding in drop bar "hoods". I cannot ride without Innerbarends anymore!
The 411 will fit any handlebar grips.

These need the 710 SQlab grips, size S to fit the Vado SL.

The 710s.

View attachment 150622
My Vado SL EQ with Redshift ShockStop Suspension Seatpost, SQlab Innerbarends 410/402, and 710 grips (Small).
Thanks for your good sum-up off accesories :) I checked the Surly corner bars again but it states that the grips are 22.2. The bar is made to convert flat bar bikes to "gravel" bar bikes.

That's how bicycling differs in Europe vs here in the States, especially in the Netherlands.

There it is a form of transportation and a commute vehicle, here it is for recreation usually in nice weather so no fenders required.

I was struck with the ferocity of bicycle commuters in Amsterdam, they have a "get the hell out of my way or I'm running you down" mentality when it comes to pedestrians which is most definitely not true here.

But where do you parkyour expensive bike at work; surely you don't leave it outside unlocked as most normal commuter bicycles I saw in the Netherlands are parked?

That's one reason I don't use my bike to go to the store; it would get stolen in a hot second even if locked here in nice suburban Santa Rosa in Sonoma County Wine Country.
Yeah it comes by nature to bike here. I even live in a city where most things are just plain easier to do on the bike instead of a car. Im using a normal abus lock on my bike all the time and when im in a shady place or it's later on the day im using a extra lock. If it gets stolen it's still ensured so no biggie but i would still not like it ofcourse. Ow and im using a airtag in my bike hidden inside the top tube just in case.

Back