SpaceForce

Banzai

A little more thought would have probably netted a better name other than calling an army of Astronauts the Space Force. Or would they be known as Space Cadets? I shudder at the thought!
Why not then, because the name Astronaut has always fit so well into all things that reference Space, call it the AstroForce? So much more appropriate.
Even StarForce has a better ring to it, with a Star Fleet of Star Ships under a Star Command of StarTroopers. So movie-like.
Some others might include:
The UniForce of Universal Soldiers who patrol the Universe.
Or the GalaxyForce made up of Galactic Warriors and their Fleet of Ford Galaxies.
I'm just getting started, but the name Space Farce just seems a little too spacey to be taken seriously. There needs to be better naming...

The good thing about starting a "Space Force" is the jump in technology needed to make this advancement. So many of these advancements can eventually benefit life on this planet like:
- new propulsion and energy systems that isn't coal/natural gas/oil based
- 3D printing for metallic and organic materials
- research into medical and building materials in low gravity and zero gravity
- lightweight composite and organic materials
- get back to STEM emphasis in school and college instead of being a YouTube star with +1,000,000 likes
- sharing of tech for civilian applications like we did with GPS systems, digital cell phones, freeze dried ice cream, tang, etc...
- new energy systems that are more efficient
- improvement of closed system recycling environments (food, water, waste, building materials, fuel, etc...).

Imagine if we can develop a close system for a crew to survive for years on a space ship be applied to everyday life on this planet (no landfill methane gas, no floating plastic garbage dumps in the ocean as larger than most states, no extra carbon in the air).

I'm still upset right now because we still don't have our flying cars like "Back to the Future II" predicted for 2015. :mad:

Last edited:
Hi mrgold35,
I remember the news reports about Sputnick while still in grammer school and then JFK's efforts to beat everyone to the moon. Those were good times for the economy that many who remember would like to return.
Actually we are past the time for flying cars and designers are more aptly pursuing dronecycles, and watch out whenever that finally becomes a reality.
Cyber typically refers to that vast open space within computing and since most everything in space involves computing, it could even be referred to as CyberForce. That may already exist, anyway.
As somebody else famously says, "We shall see..."
LOL, appreciate the reply.

I'm still upset right now because we still don't have our flying cars like "Back to the Future II" predicted for 2015.
Marketing could rename ordinary cars flying cars, like electric skateboards are "hover" boards.

I'm old school also and remember shows like Space 1999 TV show, 2001: A Space Odyssey, and glued to the set for every Star Trek re-run. Unfortunately, I think the closest we will see to a "Space Force" for a while will be in video games like Halo, TV shows like Stargate, or movies like Aliens or Starship Troopers.

You would think a military based "Space Force" is designed to protect and defend as their primary mission? Not sure what we will protect against in space if 100% of the threats are on Earth?

There needs to be more promotion of all the products we use everyday that are the result of inventions from our space program. As for the name, this is America, home of John Wayne and the American Cowboy. Why not call the Space Cadets: Space Cowboys;)

Sorry ladies, just funnin':rolleyes:

There has to be a better name or acronyms other than "Space Force". That sounds so undefined and generic. They don't call the Navy "Water Force" or the Army "Land Force"; but, they do call the it the "Air Force". Not sure why that works and the others don't?

New shoulder patch design for SpaceForce
newshark_lg.jpg

I'll gladly return to the original days of Flash Gordon and Superman. Things were much simpler then.
I was happy to let this thread die and let the Jawas auction it off, but since it has been brought back to life, I'll just add the final breakdown of the naming conventions I thought might be worthy of consideration.

Mythology provides a wonderous plethora of eligible names for all things regarding the Extraterrestrial, and some have become familiar with use while others still remain virtually unheard of, like Ophiuchus. Some names stand out, such as Andromeda, and that name all by itself adequately exemplifies the power of one entire Constellation. A terrestrial security force would do well by incorporating a name such as Andromeda. And it is not impossible to ditch the "Force" rider in the title because as shown by the fiction writers of Star Wars, it can have its own stand-alone significance. May the Force be with you!
There can also be different chapters or wings of the central department, for example the Poseidon Wing.
Atlas is another powerful name that could easily stand alone as the name of a terrestrial agency given charge of security.
Since the Space Force combines many of the characteristics of two other departments, the Air Force and the Navy, space vehicles are commonly called Space Ships, and so just as USS appears before the name of every Navy ship, consider that each space ship could wear the designation USSF before its name.
I'm an old sailor and you can bet there will be an Enterprise and also a Constellation as well.
If known by another name such as Andromeda, then the designation becomes USA.
In any case I'm sure members of the US Space Force will eventually adopt suitable naming conventions of their own choosing regardless of the musings I had with it. Something just as notable as the first Lunar landing happened as of June 18, possibly showing even more significance over the long haul.

I'm an old prior service Army dude. I've always liked the names the Army gave to their helicopters like Apache, Comanche, Black-hawk, or Iroquois. I would still like to see the continuation of well established names like Enterprise, Lexington, or Yorktown. They can also continue the names of Challenger and Columbia since those were the first long term re-usable space vehicles

I prefer Starfleet rather than Space Force for deep space. First, we need a Space Guard to protect Earth and rescue stranded space travelers all the way out to the orbit of the moon.

"The good thing about starting a "Space Force" is the jump in technology needed to make this advancement."

But couldn't the same things be acheived, and probably for less money as the old story about how NASA spent a million bucks developing a writing instrument for use in negative gravity and the Russians just use a pencil comes to mind, without involving the "defense" aspect that highlights the fear factor be a better solution. I would call this proposal Space Farce as it stands.

There has to be a better name or acronyms other than "Space Force". That sounds so undefined and generic. They don't call the Navy "Water Force" or the Army "Land Force"; but, they do call the it the "Air Force". Not sure why that works and the others don't?

Today, after the Helsinki Summit, in honor of our President I think it should be called Vacuum Patrol.

(It is a force that sucks dirt and at core requires a dirt bag.)

Back