SHOW us YOUR PIX here .... Odd, WeiRd ,UnUSuAl or EyE CaTchIng things from your rides

This sign on the GAP trail near Cumberland MD. at the Brush Tunnel always gets a chuckle. It gives a whole new definition of the term "stating the obvious"!

P1080225a.jpg

P1080226a.jpg

Years ago, I was actually in the tunnel when a train came through. The engineer normally blows his whistle when approaching the tunnel but didn't that day for some reason. There is a low fence that separates the tracks from the trail but the tunnel quickly fills with choking smoke & cinders. Visibility is reduced to near zero and the noise is deafening. Not a fun experience.

It looks like this:

Reminiscent of Redding's 700ft long Sundial bridge spanning the Sacramento River:

View attachment 55374

The bridge deck is glass. Even though it's frosted, it's a bit unnerving to ride a bike over it!

Wow, that design is an architectural beauty... would love to ride across it sometime.

Correction to my post above... the bridge is a Cable-stayed bridge, not a suspension. ;)

Last edited:
Wow, that design is an architectural beauty... would love to ride across it sometime.

Correction to my post above... the bridge is a Cable-stayed bridge, not a suspension. ;)

It's a part of a beautiful loop ride that includes a 'ribbon' suspension bridge over the river some miles further up river. That bridge is also unique as the only visible means of support is the concrete bridge deck. The key is the post tensioned cables embedded in the concrete. From there you can ride to the base of the huge concrete hydroelectric dam impounding Shasta Lake. I suppose it helps to be and engineer with a cycling buddy engineer wife...🤣

It's a part of a beautiful loop ride that includes a 'ribbon' suspension bridge over the river some miles further up river. That bridge is also unique as the only visible means of support is the concrete bridge deck. The key is the post tensioned cables embedded in the concrete. From there you can ride to the base of the huge concrete hydroelectric dam impounding Shasta Lake. I suppose it helps to be and engineer with a cycling buddy engineer wife...🤣

Thanks for the information... I should have known as a practicing engineer myself.

Did a morning 23 mile ride in some (finally!) beautiful weather. First stop, a much needed haircut. By appt only with a mask. A bit awkward, but my wife is happy with the result. Still have to do beard trims myself.

Anyway, after the barber, I headed out to a gravel road out of town and took a few pics of someone's hobby;
View attachment 54981
Fence post caps made from pressure tanks, tools and 'stuff'

View attachment 54982
Saw blades for teeth...

View attachment 54983
Blue rope for hair.

View attachment 54984
Critters down the driveway.

View attachment 54980
...and the slightly creepy rabbit.
Good thing it's a hobby and not his/her profession....😆
But then again, art and beauty is in the eyes of the beholder...🤔