SHOW us YOUR PIX here .... Odd, WeiRd ,UnUSuAl or EyE CaTchIng things from your rides

Looking at photos of all those cool car I thought I'd post a photo of a car I owned a dozen years ago. The second photo was taken just after I got it home after purchasing it.
Very hard to believe it's the same car....but it is.

zlEYTWV.jpg

gCoHhLn.jpg
Ouch.

The car is a fiberglass replica of a 1956 Porsche 356.
I owned it for a number of years then sold it. I bought it back from the person I sold it to after the car suffered a serious engine fire that totalled the car.
I partially rebuilt it and then had the shop that originally built the car fully restore it.
I was the most unreliable vehicle I've ever owned. 😟

The car is a fiberglass replica of a 1956 Porsche 356.
I owned it for a number of years then sold it. I bought it back from the person I sold it to after the car suffered a serious engine fire that totalled the car.
I partially rebuilt it and then had the shop that originally built the car fully restore it.
I was the most unreliable vehicle I've ever owned. 😟
Was that an Intermeccanica? CN

We Had M C Escher Clouds Over S W Texas Today:

Screen Shot 2021-07-12 at 7.12.37 PM.png

Don't see these formations often around here. Some of you old hippies probably know of and remember M C Escher. That very trippy artist from the 19 century who drew fantastic images like this:
Screen Shot 2021-07-12 at 7.11.38 PM.png

Well, we thought they were fantastic anyway ... after a few tokes.

Screen Shot 2021-07-12 at 7.09.59 PM.png

Take a gander. The guy was pretty amazing.

We Had M C Escher Clouds Over S W Texas Today:

View attachment 93105

Don't see these formations often around here. Some of you old hippies probably know of and remember M C Escher. That very trippy artist from the 19 century who drew fantastic images like this:
View attachment 93106

Well, we thought they were fantastic anyway ... after a few tokes.

View attachment 93107

Take a gander. The guy was pretty amazing.
Is he the guy who did the staircases that go nowhere ?

How long will it be before a fire comes over this mountain and burns out the adjacent properties? There are innumerable vulnerable properties around here. View attachment 93108
Steve, where was that image of the valley below shot? I read that the wild fire count in BC is up to 300 now. My sister and her husband survived the Okanagan fires back in 2003. They were one of the few fortunate evacuees whose home (Okaview/Kelowna) was left standing. We toured their neighborhood shortly after and it was devastating to see.

Steve, where was that image of the valley below shot? I read that the wild fire count in BC is up to 300 now. My sister and her husband survived the Okanagan fires back in 2003. They were one of the few fortunate evacuees whose home (Okaview/Kelowna) was left standing. We toured their neighborhood shortly after and it was devastating to see.
That pic is from above the Coquitlam Crunch on Westwood plateau. Eagle Mtn on the left.

I missed two good photo ops. one was tortilla rat as flat and hard as a week old tortilla and a alligator in a tree I mean to get a pic of the stuffed animal on there way back and forgot.

They laid down some fresh gravel crush here. To me ,this is about the roughest kind of trail I would want to place a gravel bike on. I know these bikes are trendy right now but I prefer my lamb fries intact. View attachment 93186
Whether it's course gravel or fine, it depends on how well it's packed. It's the loose stuff that'll get you. I don't mind a bit of rough surface but I hate the occasional soft patch.

The worst wipe out I've had so far was on the Lehigh Gorge Trail in eastern PA. The trail is mostly firm well packed decomposed granite. I was tooling along at 12 mph and hit a recently repaired section. The surface looked smooth but it was not packed. Suddenly, with no time to react, both wheels slid out from under me and I wound up in a heap. It was like riding off a sidewalk into a sandbox. No damage or serious injury thankfully but definitely an eye opening experience.

Last edited:

Looks like a street bike trail to me. I could ride my no suspension bike there.
Yes exactly. The gravel bikes I have seen have no suspension. 35 years ago I had a Cannondale touring bike. I fitted the widest tires I could on it so I could trail ride. The bike was still horribly uncomfortable on trails and so much harder to pedal with the added resistance of the tires that I soon switched back and kept that bike to the roads.

I know a bit about gravel. As long as the material they used has a lot of the rock dust created during crushing included, and sufficient moisture, it will pack nicely. But narrow bike wheels and foot traffic are not good compaction devices. Hopefully the trail managers understand this and they took a small vibratory compactor up there with them. It looks like they did.

Packed gravel is a great low speed surface...that's what back roads were "paved" with when I was a kid. Cheap and durable. I think they went to black top because of cars spinning and sliding b/c of higher speeds.

Yes exactly. The gravel bikes I have seen have no suspension. 35 years ago I had a Cannondale touring bike. I fitted the widest tires I could on it so I could trail ride. The bike was still horribly uncomfortable on trails and so much harder to pedal with the added resistance of the tires that I soon switched back and kept that bike to the roads.
People have different expectations and preferences about this. I've ridden gravel bikes with and without suspension and vastly prefer riding gravel without suspension. A long-time cyclist, I only use front suspension or full-suspension for the most technical single track, and even then I prefer to ride technical single-track on a rigid bike unless I'm trying to keep up with other full-suspension riders. But it's only on the most rocky terrain where suspension allows faster traveling in my experience. The smooth gravel trail in the photo would be an happy ride on a rigid bike with the right 42mm-52mm wide supple tires I use. The example given of hitting a patch of deep soft gravel is where much wider 4" tires help, not suspension.

On the other hand, I completely understand why other riders find front and full suspension to be a great benefit and relief, and I'm glad there are both kinds of bikes available. Such riders may be surprised others ride rigid bikes, and may assume it's only because we haven't tried a suspension bike.

Back