SHOW us YOUR PIX here .... Odd, WeiRd ,UnUSuAl or EyE CaTchIng things from your rides

7CB32F88-C90D-4B7A-9D29-9374A8D1E460.jpeg

My recumbent “tricycle”.
Still use it too.
Sorry it’s sideways. SMH

View attachment 92238
My recumbent “tricycle”.
Still use it too.
Sorry it’s sideways. SMH
Can you lace in a rear hub-drive? It is a cool ride! Full disclosure is imperative.

Check out this one with a BBS0X. It has the worst balance of any bike I have seen so far. Can you imagine riding it? Talk about inane courage.

Attachments

• ICB Recumbant Conversion.jpg
    ICB Recumbant Conversion.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 116
Today I encountered this group of over a dozen cyclists. The average age had to be close to 80. At least 10 of the 13 bikes were Ebikes which ranged greatly from inexpensive to higher end. I drank coffee and watched as the group waited while one octogenarian took an excruciatingly long time ( 3 -5 mins I reckon) to unlock his bike. While it might be fun to ride with a large group like that someday I do not have the patience for that yet.
1625527156237.png

"5 Reasons Why You should go Car Free " by Mark Cramer .

Reason no. 1: The car is a time thief. For argument’s sake, let’s say you’re in the gig economy, netting $40,000 per year. This means that 25% of your work hours go to paying for the car. Without a car to feed and assuming your work week is 40 hours, you could accept 25% fewer gigs and spend the 10 hours extracted from weekly work time on hanging out with friends, visiting family, hiking, bicycling, writing a novel, improving your bowling score. Or don’t immediately withdraw those liberated hours until they can be used for a longer vacation or early retirement.

Reason no. 2 to go car-free: The bicycle is faster than a car. When you count the hours spent working to support a car as part of net commuting time, including external costs, you see that the net or “effective” speed of a car in New York City comes to 5.7 miles per hour. In Los Angeles that effective speed amounts to 8 mph. Slower than a bike! (See Tranter & Tolley, “The ‘slow paradox’: how speed steals our time” from Slow Cities: Conquering our Speed Addiction for Health and Sustainability.)

Reason no. 3 to dump your car: When you dump your car, you get healthier. Numerous studies show that switching from car commuting to public transport (where one walks to and from the train station or bus stop) leads to a decrease in BMI (Body Mass Index), a key health indicator. According to the CDC, adequate access to public transportation systems is associated with a range of positive health outcomes, including more physical activity, fewer traffic injuries and better air quality.

Reason no. 4 to go car-free: Regular bicycle commuters have zero net commute times when longer life expectancy is considered. Studies published by The Lancet and CDC refer to the exercise benefits of walking to public transit compared to the sedentary lifestyle of car commuting. The health benefits of bicycling to work are even more pronounced. A 2015 research project found that regular bicycle commuters have a half-year longer life expectancy, which translates to an hour of quality life added for every hour cycled. Thus, the hours you commute today are returned to you down the road. This equals zero net commute time.

Reason no. 5: Why haven’t I mentioned the environment yet? So far, I have purposely excluded environmental arguments since the best social policies involve legitimate self-interest – in this case, health and financial freedom. However, Science magazine tells us that “living car-free” is the second most effective way to reduce our carbon footprint, the first being “have one fewer child.”

Last edited:
Not much to report other than another regular outing on the local trails. The city park crews finally got around to removing a section of a large spruce tree which blew down several weeks ago (June 14 to be exact) on a local single track. I was glad to see it out of the way......
IMG_20210705_1027236.jpg
only to encounter another tree that had fallen further up the trail.
IMG_20210705_1036156.jpg

My hometown has recently launched a pilot program for e-scooters that will continue on until 2023. Similar to other such scooter initiatives introduced in Calgary and other Canadian cities, these scooters are GPS tracked, are restricted to 20 kph and have enabled sensors to detect bad riding behavior. 🤨They will be restricted to municipal paved pathways and sidewalks.
IMG_20210705_1057272.jpg

Bad in a weird way ride, good in a weird way ride, conversion in a Show Us Ur Pix project ride.
1) Bad eBike ride with ten wires with connectors at the handlebar.
2) Good eBike ride with three wires at the handlebar and no connectors. Yes, this second bike is electric and clean and hygienic.
3) The Show Us some pix project bike, is a mid-eighties chromo, with a Chris King headset in yesterday and on the way to electric bliss riding the San Francisco hills in style. It will not look electric as it passes new LBS and internet rides.

Attachments

• exBad.JPG
    exBad.JPG
    265.9 KB · Views: 129
  • exGood.JPG
    exGood.JPG
    198 KB · Views: 117
  • StumpjumperFS02.JPG
    StumpjumperFS02.JPG
    689.3 KB · Views: 129
  • StumpjumperFS03.JPG
    StumpjumperFS03.JPG
    278.4 KB · Views: 109
  • StumpjumperFS04.JPG
    StumpjumperFS04.JPG
    353.5 KB · Views: 119
  • StumpjumperFS05.JPG
    StumpjumperFS05.JPG
    297 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:
Can you lace in a rear hub-drive? It is a cool ride! Full disclosure is imperative.

Check out this one with a BBS0X. It has the worst balance of any bike I have seen so far. Can you imagine riding it? Talk about inane courage.
Don't have too. ICE offers a Bosch mid drive right from new but I was too stubborn to get one.
Maybe its good I waited because I would not be on two wheels now.
Electric assist has changed me. I do more and talk more out there.

Back