SHOW us YOUR PIX here .... Odd, WeiRd ,UnUSuAl or EyE CaTchIng things from your rides

Ok, while we're on the subject of poisonous plants, identify this one:

View attachment 93708

It's found in Washington, Oregon and recently in the norteastern US. There have been a few hospitalizations from contact with the plant here my home state of Pennsylvania.
It is very nasty stuff.
With the purple spots on the stems I'd guess it's hemlock/poison hemlock?

My wife says it's Giant Ho
Ok, while we're on the subject of poisonous plants, identify this one:

View attachment 93708

It's found in Washington, Oregon and recently in the norteastern US. There have been a few hospitalizations from contact with the plant here my home state of Pennsylvania.
It

My wife says it's giant hogweed. She recognized the pic. Found it in Southern Living. Apparently it was originally introduced as an ornamental plant.
is very nasty stuff.

So, no takers on this 'What is it'?

This bush is commonly called Pacific or Western poison oak, or just poison oak. It can grow as a shrub as in my pic or as a vine trailing up even very large trees. It's found though out California's valleys and lower foothills. Thankfully it doesn't do well in colder winter climes so none of this around our place.

In the Spring it is easily recognized by its bright green 3 leaf clusters (hence the rhyme) that turn deep red in late Summer or early Fall. This year there are a lot of these plants that have already turned red and in this example even brown as they drop their leaves becoming just a cluster of sticks. The leaf drop doesn't usually happen until early Winter but things are different this year.

Why should you leave this plant be? Many people are affected by the plants' oils that can cause red itching patches that if left untreated can develop into itchy blisters. The plant oil can be spread beyond the original contact to the face or even eyes, for example by tying shoe laces that have been hiked through some plants and then adjusting your sun glasses. Hospitalisation can be required in some cases.

In our younger years when we hiked in poison oak habitat we would always wash all our clothes in hot water and shower with soap specifically designed to wash away the oils. Worked most of the time...
I knew it was either poison oak or poison ivy but could not differentiate because I could not see the leaves well enough. We all in Kansas had the same warning about clusters of three.

My wife says it's Giant Ho

My wife says it's giant hogweed. She recognized the pic. Found it in Southern Living. Apparently it was originally introduced as an ornamental plant.
Correct.

1626734264404.png

This was posted on an outhouse door on todays ride (which encompassed pages 112/113 in the " Lets go biking " book).

Another good reason to wear a helmet! What Trek is your friend riding?
That is her 2019 Powerfly 5 which is identical to the one David Berry likes to berate. Hers has 13000 km on it with zero problems. She rides it with the stock pedals and saddle with no complaints. The only issue that I can see is that the chrome sliders on her fork are showing rust so I guess she will have to replace that shock eventually.

Back