SHOW us YOUR PIX here .... Odd, WeiRd ,UnUSuAl or EyE CaTchIng things from your rides

I only rode 1 f/s ebike and it was a 70 lb 20 inch wheel folder. Not something I would want to ride for fun, but fine for a "mobility device" for someone who needs something less powerful than a motorcycle to get around or to ride easy trails. I do think a front suspension could be a big help on downhills and washboards, though.

The Rocky Mountaineer
1626386356749.png
lies at the very rear of the CN station gathering dust until the travellers may return. I took this trip many years ago and if you have the patience it can be a great way to tour.

Rode from Old Town Folsom, just East of Sacramento, up to Beals Point State Park on Folsom Lake, and then back down to the Johnny Cash trail past Folsom Prison. Had our sack lunches on Folsom's Humbug/Willow Creek trail. We usually do this on our mech bikes. The grade up to Beals Point goes on for several miles and can be a real leg burner. The electrics were wonderful! Ended up with a pleasant 22 mile ride with 1,161 feet of climbing. Kept the speed down again to minimize power usage. Averaged 11 mph with 5.2Wh/mile. More than last week's Tahoe ride, but that climb to Folsom...

0715211306_Film1.jpg

The restored historic bridge connects Old Town to the American River Bike Trail. This trail runs 32.5 miles from Beals Point to Old Town Scaramento. A very pretty ride, mostly along the river with paved trails the entire way.

The restored sign over the brige says;

"$5 FINE FOR DRIVING OVER THE BRIDGE
FASTER THAN A WALK
$25 FINE FOR DRIVING MORE THAN
20 HEAD OF HORSES, 50 HEAD CATTLE
OR 200 SHEEP, HOGS, OR GOATS
OVER THIS BRIDGE AT ONE TIME"

It doesn't say what the limit is for cyclists 😂

three bridges in one picture with one bridge right behind me. they don't call portland city of bridges for nothing.

View attachment 93372
We've ridden Portland's water front trail with mech bikes we rented on the river front. We made a 50 miler out of it by riding out the Springwater Trail as well. Very nice, and perfect weather considering that it had been raining for 7 days straight before we got there!

I rode out to check on our community vegetable garden plots today and came upon this scene. Since 2017, the city has been using goats as an organic method of selective weed control on the vacant land adjacent to the gardens. I spoke to the operator (Jeanette) who told me that the herd was comprised of 700 animals of 8 different breeds. She appeared to know most/all of them by name including Gandolf, the large white, gruff looking billy.

http://organicweedcontrol.ca/

IMG_20210718_1302222.jpg

IMG_20210718_1302305.jpg

IMG_20210718_1330002.jpg

IMG_20210718_1305015.jpgIMG_20210718_1323398.jpgIMG_20210718_1303150.jpg
With the exception of the carrots, our garden is faring quite well.
IMG_20210715_1022536.jpg

I rode out to check on our community vegetable garden plots today and came upon this scene. Since 2017, the city has been using goats as an organic method of selective weed control on the vacant land adjacent to the gardens. I spoke to the operator (Jeanette) who told me that the herd was comprised of 700 animals of 8 different breeds. She appeared to know most/all of them by name including Gandolf, the large white, gruff looking billy.

View attachment 93650
View attachment 93651
View attachment 93652
View attachment 93653View attachment 93654View attachment 93655
View attachment 93657
Goat Spokesman: Nice looking gardens you got there. Be a shame if we all hopped over this flimsy fence of yours. Maybe you could spare a few of those carrots you was taklin about?

Goat Spokesman: Nice looking gardens you got there. Be a shame if we all hopped over this flimsy fence of yours. Maybe you could spare a few of those carrots you was taklin about?
I was thinking the same as a few of the kids had escaped from the operator’s flimsy plastic fence and likely had other ideas. We surrounded our plots with a deer barrier and so invariably the goats would have made a beeline for the gardens that were wide open and available to them.

OK, 1 more pic from our Folsom/Beals Point ride. This is a "what is it";

0715211326_Film1_20210718174143237.jpg

I know it doen't look like much right now but ever since I was a kid we we were taught the rhyme, "leaves of three, let it be".

What is it, and why should you "let it be"?

View attachment 93650
View attachment 93651
View attachment 93652
View attachment 93653View attachment 93654View attachment 93655
View attachment 93657
Goats are indeed effective at weed control.

A decade ago, Sandy Hook State Park in NJ. was over run with poison ivy. Park rangers tried a variety of control methods with little success. One day, a goat farmer from central NJ. was visiting the park and overheard the rangers complaining about the problem. He offered to bring in his herd of goats who aren't affected by the plant and actually like the stuff. The skeptical rangers took him up on his offer and fenced off an area. The goats were turned loose and within a week, the 2 acre fenced in area was completely ivy free. The process was repeated in other areas of the park and the poison ivy problem was solved.

So, no takers on this 'What is it'?

This bush is commonly called Pacific or Western poison oak, or just poison oak. It can grow as a shrub as in my pic or as a vine trailing up even very large trees. It's found though out California's valleys and lower foothills. Thankfully it doesn't do well in colder winter climes so none of this around our place.

In the Spring it is easily recognized by its bright green 3 leaf clusters (hence the rhyme) that turn deep red in late Summer or early Fall. This year there are a lot of these plants that have already turned red and in this example even brown as they drop their leaves becoming just a cluster of sticks. The leaf drop doesn't usually happen until early Winter but things are different this year.

Why should you leave this plant be? Many people are affected by the plants' oils that can cause red itching patches that if left untreated can develop into itchy blisters. The plant oil can be spread beyond the original contact to the face or even eyes, for example by tying shoe laces that have been hiked through some plants and then adjusting your sun glasses. Hospitalisation can be required in some cases.

In our younger years when we hiked in poison oak habitat we would always wash all our clothes in hot water and shower with soap specifically designed to wash away the oils. Worked most of the time...

So, no takers on this 'What is it'?

This bush is commonly called Pacific or Western poison oak, or just poison oak. It can grow as a shrub as in my pic or as a vine trailing up even very large trees. It's found though out California's valleys and lower foothills. Thankfully it doesn't do well in colder winter climes so none of this around our place.

In the Spring it is easily recognized by its bright green 3 leaf clusters (hence the rhyme) that turn deep red in late Summer or early Fall. This year there are a lot of these plants that have already turned red and in this example even brown as they drop their leaves becoming just a cluster of sticks. The leaf drop doesn't usually happen until early Winter but things are different this year.

Why should you leave this plant be? Many people are affected by the plants' oils that can cause red itching patches that if left untreated can develop into itchy blisters. The plant oil can be spread beyond the original contact to the face or even eyes, for example by tying shoe laces that have been hiked through some plants and then adjusting your sun glasses. Hospitalisation can be required in some cases.

In our younger years when we hiked in poison oak habitat we would always wash all our clothes in hot water and shower with soap specifically designed to wash away the oils. Worked most of the time...
I was going to guess poison ivy but thats the closest I could come.

Last edited:
Ok, while we're on the subject of poisonous plants, identify this one:

plant-1529333682.jpg

It's found in Washington, Oregon and recently in the norteastern US. There have been a few hospitalizations from contact with the plant here my home state of Pennsylvania.
It is very nasty stuff.

Back