Show us pictures of where you ride your ebikes!

Hard to believe that it’s been almost a month since @DaveMatthews last post so I thought that it might be a good time for a revival of sorts. Hallelujah!

With the recent arrival of warmer weather that we’ve all come to expect here, I decided to check out what the conditions were like out at the Riverbend Rec Area yesterday and I must say that I was delighted. The Riverbend Ring involves a loop half of which is comprised of groomed XC ski trails and the other half a multi-use double track. I don’t ever recall seeing any other bikes on the XC trails and I think that I know why. There are some steepish hills to overcome that might turn some away and the ground conditions are not always in the shape that they were in yesterday. Ungroomed and too soft snow would even overwhelm the fattest of tires.

The sun was shining bright as I started the 10 km ride out to the site from home. There’s no greater sensation than warm rays on your face and with the ambient temp well above normal I was stoked to get there asap.

VID_20240123_123804_00_016 - frame at 0m21s.jpg

Talk about sheer bliss. I was feeling super pumped when I rolled up and approached the first hill. The wide track appeared to be recently pack rolled as the crisp looking corduroy was ultra fine with just enough firmness to allow adequate traction to get me up the climbs. There is some etiquette involved when either walking or biking along these XC runs. I usually try and keep to the center so as not to disturb the set tracks on either side. Sliding the rear end of the bike out was really tempting but a definite no no as I would likely wreck the work that had been done to ensure the integrity of the groomed runs.

VID_20240123_131754_00_017 - frame at 0m20s.jpg

I kicked it up a notch and powered my way up the snow groomed runs with little hesitation. The low psi of the tires combined with their large footprint made quick work for the Norco.

VID_20240123_131754_00_017 - frame at 0m48s.jpg
VID_20240123_131754_00_017 - frame at 1m3s.jpg

Downhill runs were an absolute blast and thankfully I only came across one lone skier along the trail in the distance heading in the opposite direction.

PXL_20240123_203508504.jpg
VID_20240123_135937_00_022 - frame at 0m16s.jpg
VID_20240123_135937_00_022 - frame at 0m50s.jpg
Jan 23, 2024 - Riverbend - frame at 0m8s.jpg

It suddenly became overcast about 1/3 of the way into the ride and by the time I reached the top the sun had completely disappeared from sight.

DJI_0219 - frame at 0m12s.jpg

Heading back down the other half loop, the rays peered through the clouds and all was well again.

PXL_20240123_211623736.jpg
VID_20240123_142000_00_025 - frame at 1m7s.jpg

A few more miles to go and back on terra firma of sorts. I aired up the tires which made for a brisk pace back to home base.

PXL_20240123_213643763.jpg

Last edited:
Hard to believe that it’s been almost a month since @DaveMatthews last post so I thought that it might be a good time for a revival of sorts. Hallelujah!

With the recent arrival of warmer weather that we’ve all come to expect here, I decided to check out what the conditions were like out at the Riverbend Rec Area yesterday and I must say that I was delighted. The Riverbend Ring involves a loop half of which is comprised of groomed XC ski trails and the other half a multi-use double track. I don’t ever recall seeing any other bikes on the XC trails and I think that I know why. There are some steepish hills to overcome that might turn some away and the ground conditions are not always in the shape that they were in yesterday. Ungroomed and too soft snow would even overwhelm the fattest of tires.

The sun was shining bright as I started the 10 km ride out to the site from home. There’s no greater sensation than warm rays on your face and with the ambient temp well above normal I was stoked to get there asap.

View attachment 170171

Talk about sheer bliss. I was feeling super pumped when I rolled up and approached the first hill. The wide track appeared to be recently pack rolled as the crisp looking corduroy was ultra fine with just enough firmness to allow adequate traction to get me up the climbs. There is some etiquette involved when either walking or biking along these XC runs. I usually try and keep to the center so as not to disturb the set tracks on either side. Sliding the rear end of the bike out was really tempting but a definite no no as I would likely wreck the work that had been done to ensure the integrity of the groomed runs.

View attachment 170172

I kicked it up a notch and powered my way up the snow groomed runs with little hesitation. The low psi of the tires combined with their large footprint made quick work for the Norco.

View attachment 170173
View attachment 170174

Downhill runs were an absolute blast and thankfully I only came across one lone skier along the trail in the distance heading in the opposite direction.

View attachment 170175
View attachment 170176
View attachment 170177
View attachment 170181
It suddenly became overcast about 1/3 of the way into the ride and by the time I reached the top the sun had completely disappeared from sight.

View attachment 170178

Heading back down the other half loop, the rays peered through the clouds and all was well again.

View attachment 170182
View attachment 170179

A few more miles to go and back on terra firma of sorts. I aired up the tires which made for a brisk pace back to home base.

View attachment 170180
What a cool ride! Too much fun!

Just spectacular, what a bike and rider (showing off with no hands 😂)👌I can just imagine me trying to ride that on my Giant...🤣
I guess for me it simply extended over the years from doing it when I was a wee lad and it stuck. Just like riding a bike. ;) I have to say that having a larger footprint does add to the overall stability.

Whee doggies! You're clearly ready for the next level:
Yikes! That’s taking DH to the max. I would need to consume a year’s worth of Red Bull to even consider building up the courage to do that! I see the true function for installing the rear fender. It would likely result in the worst case of road r(ass)h without it. :eek:

Last edited:
Yikes! That’s taking DH to the max. I would need to consume a year’s worth of Red Bull to even consider building up the courage to do that! I see the true function for installing the rear fender. It would likely result in the worst case of road r(ass)h without it. :eek:
Cringed when his butt came down hard on the spiked rear wheel. Would have been a real bummer without that tiny fender in between — and a whole new meaning to shredding. Might well have ended up with sit bones intact but nothing left between.

No amount of Red Bull — or anything else — could get me to consider that. Used to think these guys had some kind of subconscious death wish, but it's not even a good way to off yourself — too much chance of ending up alive but quadriplegic.

Were that to happen to some Red Bull-sponsored daredevil — and there appear to be many of them now — who would foot the lifelong medical bills?

These youngsters are basically modern gladiators, repeatedly putting themselves in grave danger for glory, money, equipment, support crews, the entertainment of others, and advertising for a nasty-tasting energy drink.

Last edited:
Cringed when his butt came down hard on the spiked rear wheel. Would have been a real bummer without that tiny fender in between — and a whole new meaning to shredding. Might well have ended up with sit bones intact but nothing left between.

No amount of Red Bull — or anything else — could get me to consider that. Used to think these guys had some kind of subconscious death wish, but it's not even a good way to off yourself — too much chance of ending up alive but quadriplegic.

Were that to happen to some Red Bull-sponsored daredevil — and there appear to be many of them now — who would foot the lifelong medical bills?

These youngsters are basically modern gladiators, repeatedly putting themselves in grave danger for glory, money, equipment, support crews, the entertainment of others, and advertising for a nasty-tasting energy drink.
Besides, "Hold my redbull, and watch this" just don't sound right.

Personally, I’ve never even taken a sip of the swill and don’t believe that I ever will. I know my limitations and, at my age, landing on something soft is usually the first thing that comes to mind.

Sometimes I think that most who drink it simply want to emulate their idols who get paid handsomely for doing so. Red Bull gives you wings is, in a manner of speaking, a plausible way to meet your maker for many of these idealistic thrill seekers with the ultimate goal of attaining the RB helmet. All it takes is just one minor detail to be overlooked for a stunt to turn deadly.

Personally, I’ve never even taken a sip of the swill and don’t believe that I ever will. I know my limitations and, at my age, landing on something soft is usually the first thing that comes to mind.

Sometimes I think that most who drink it simply want to emulate their idols who get paid handsomely for doing so. Red Bull gives you wings is, in a manner of speaking, a plausible way to meet your maker for many of these idealistic thrill seekers with the ultimate goal of attaining the RB helmet. All it takes is just one minor detail to be overlooked for a stunt to turn deadly.

Well, if there were ever a cause to die for — or spend your life in a wheelchair for, or hobble around on permanently damaged lower extremities in later life for — Red Bull enrichment would certainly be it.

The article mentioned one young Einstein who allowed himself to break a foot 40 times under Red Bull enticements. As a retired MD, I can assure you that these battered feet will not serve him well in later years — assuming he's still alive and otherwise able to walk.

Anyone who questions the value of fully functional, pain-free feet should walk around a week with a few pieces of pea gravel in just one shoe.

The article mentioned one young Einstein who allowed himself to break a foot 40 times under Red Bull enticements. As a retired MD, I can assure you that these battered feet will not serve him well in later years — assuming he's still alive and otherwise able to walk.
That guy who claimed to have broken his ankle 40x happens to be 40 yr old Travis Pastrana champion motocross performer extraordinaire. Apparently, he has since parted ways with Red Bull but continues on with his high-flying antics as he awaited hip and knee surgery. He actually broke his hand while preparing for his final stunt which he pulled off in a manner of speaking. The close to 3000 YouTube comments and likes are probably what keeps his ego intact. I mean, ‘You are my Hero’ being repeated over and over is as compelling as it gets so we may not see the last of him just yet.

An absolute deluge is coming for us this weekend according to forecasts.
Oddly, temps will increase to wonderful conditions.
Will look for short interruptions
Sorry to hear that Dave and hope that you’ll be able to escape most of its wrath. I’ve been told that the rivers are becoming wider, longer and more intense.

From Bunche Beach on the mainland looking at the Pink Shell Resort on Estero island in Ft. Myers Beach. this area was devastated by Hurricane Ian on September 28th 2022. The Old Florida waterfront restaurants are gone now. Same with most of the old stilt homes. Our neighborhood continues with its remediation.
IMG_5314.jpeg

That guy who claimed to have broken his ankle 40x happens to be 40 yr old Travis Pastrana champion motocross performer extraordinaire. Apparently, he has since parted ways with Red Bull but continues on with his high-flying antics as he awaited hip and knee surgery. He actually broke his hand while preparing for his final stunt which he pulled off in a manner of speaking. The close to 3000 YouTube comments and likes are probably what keeps his ego intact. I mean, ‘You are my Hero’ being repeated over and over is as compelling as it gets so we may not see the last of him just yet.

I was in Kent State University when there were still "Eric Clapton is God" stickers all over town. Right before his battles with drugs. That kind of stuff can push a man right over the edge ...

Back