Show us pictures of where you ride your ebikes!

Tried out the Burnaby Foreshore Trail yesterday. Started at the Waste to Energy facility that transforms 25% of Vancouver's garbage into enough electricity to power 16,000 homes:
IMG_7464.jpeg

All the missing gaps have been completed as the trail follows the Fraser river:

IMG_7451.jpeg

Some of the sights along the way:

IMG_7433.jpeg

IMG_7453.jpeg

The new River District being developed on former industrial land:

IMG_7441.jpeg

My new(ish) Gazelle along one of the entries in their mural festival:

IMG_7446.jpeg

Ending near the Knight Street Bridge:

IMG_7424.jpeg

Today was a little warmer (25-27C) so I thought I'd try to stay close to water. The easy choice was down to River Road, heading West to Deas Island Park.
What I did not count on was a stiff headwind the whole way there. I had decided that I wanted to go for low assist levels/higher battery efficiency as opposed to the previous "fastest 40", but still try to keep the km/hr up.
Have been keeping an eye on the smoke forecast and figured today was going to be it for a while. https://firesmoke.ca/forecasts/current/

You can see it's just starting to hint of haze/smoke coming, looking to the NW...

End of the road into Deas Island Park...

This area is used a lot for water ski/rowing/kayak etc...

Heading out of the park, saw a cool car...

I don't think I've ever averaged 2km/battery percentage...

Heading back along a service road right beside Hwy 99. Super safe, but piles of traffic/noise...

This guy can't decide whether he likes chain drive or belt drive...

A spot of solace/shade and some water at... um... Watershed Park on the way home...

Almost 40, but not quite. Would not have beaten the previous anyway, but mission accomplished regarding higher km/battery consumption...

IMG_20230703_101958408_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230703_101945571_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230703_101937954_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230703_101932152_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230703_101924457_HDR.jpg

On the pictures they are hard to see but in person they are much more impressive. Road to sherrard point will be closed for repaving for the rest of the season on Wednesday so I took a ride up. Over 3000 feet elevation gain in 14 miles. I was going to ride a regular bike but it's hot and I wanted to enjoy the ride.

Today was a little warmer (25-27C) so I thought I'd try to stay close to water. The easy choice was down to River Road, heading West to Deas Island Park.
What I did not count on was a stiff headwind the whole way there. I had decided that I wanted to go for low assist levels/higher battery efficiency as opposed to the previous "fastest 40", but still try to keep the km/hr up.
Have been keeping an eye on the smoke forecast and figured today was going to be it for a while. https://firesmoke.ca/forecasts/current/

You can see it's just starting to hint of haze/smoke coming, looking to the NW...

End of the road into Deas Island Park...

This area is used a lot for water ski/rowing/kayak etc...

Heading out of the park, saw a cool car...

I don't think I've ever averaged 2km/battery percentage...

Heading back along a service road right beside Hwy 99. Super safe, but piles of traffic/noise...

This guy can't decide whether he likes chain drive or belt drive...

A spot of solace/shade and some water at... um... Watershed Park on the way home...

Almost 40, but not quite. Would not have beaten the previous anyway, but mission accomplished regarding higher km/battery consumption...

So can you say or guess what kind of wind speed you were fighting? And what effect on the battery it had? Curious minds ...

So can you say or guess what kind of wind speed you were fighting? And what effect on the battery it had? Curious minds ...
Excellent question. I wish I had recorded it at the time.
All I know is that when I hit the flats next to the river the wind was in my face immediately. Current conditions (4 hours later) are around 12km/hr with gusts up to 25km/hr. I'd say at the point of my ride it felt like 15km/hr with gusts to 25 or more?
Normally I would have kicked up the assist a notch, but in this case I left the assist at 2 (out of 5) and just pushed.
I suspect I may have exceeded 2km/battery percentage instead of coming home slightly behind that (1.87).
Just an unscientific guess...

At least it's a start. I have a suspicion that a nonstop wind will eat a battery even faster than a hard climb of similar effort, based on the few times I've been out in real winds. Usually when it's windy, it's also rainy here, so I'm heading for cover...

I have a suspicion that a nonstop wind will eat a battery even faster than a hard climb of similar effort, based on the few times I've been out in real winds.

You can get a feel for the relative resistances involved at any given ground speed by looking at the 4 common scenarios explored in my wildly popular crossover speed post.

All 4 scenarios are for a relatively upright 200 lb rider in street clothes on a 65 lb commuter/hybrid bike with corresponding tires on smooth, hard pavement at ground speeds up to 28 mph:
A. No wind, 0% grade
B. No wind, 5% grade
C. 10 mph headwind, 0% grade
D. 10 mph headwind, 5% grade

Moving against absolute (not relative) total resistance is what eats up batteries. Turns out, total resistance is greater in Scenario B than in C at all ground speeds.

So, doesn't take a steep grade for gravity to out-resist the air in a 10 mph headwind. But as headwind speed increases, that story will change.

A refreshing Bloody Mary at the Hubbard Park Beer Garden, just off the Oak Leaf Trail.
That looks refreshing. Bloody Caesars seem to be a popular libation up here though I can’t say for sure if they serve this version in your neck of the woods. I s’pose the blend of clam nectar and tomato juice might be an acquired taste for some.

That looks refreshing. Bloody Caesars seem to be a popular libation up here though I can’t say for sure if they serve this version in your neck of the woods. I s’pose the blend of clam nectar and tomato juice might be an acquired taste for some.
No, I haven’t run across that version here! Sounds interesting!

No, I haven’t run across that version here! Sounds interesting!
I think that it might unofficially be Canada’s national drink. A celery salt rimmed glass is garnished with a stalk of celery and lime wedge. Vodka, a dash of tobacco sauce and Clamato juice create a distinct piquant flavor that is familiar here from coast to coast.

1688511568549.png

I’ve even used my dry rub recipe to rim the glass which gives it more of a kick.

Back