Street signs come in all shapes and sizes. Don’t think about using a street sign.

I've tried using long staples then bend them over, but I couldn't get them to curve and snug up nicely,..

20240712_143426.jpg
20240712_143531.jpg

They should make a tool a bit like an automatic wire striper that would tighten up the staple then bend it over properly.

20240712_143548.jpg

I made a hub motor balancing and truing machine,..

View attachment 178879View attachment 178880View attachment 178881

I bought some bearings that fit over the axle so the whole motor can spin.

View attachment 178882

I used a piece of PEX pipe that fit over the axle to hold the motor cable straight with the axle to keep it balanced.

View attachment 178885
View attachment 178883View attachment 178884
This is why I switched to mag wheels. No more truing or fooling with bent or broken spokes.

P1060938.JPG

The only chore is to make sure the tire is installed correctly.

This "camp light" is a fantastic tool if you don't have a dedicated bike workshop, and find flexible lighting a challenge.

It worked great as a camp light on a recent 2 night trip, but its second use as a makeshift "shop light" put it over the top.

I also recommend a cheap dollar store yoga mat if you have to clean your drive train at home. 🤠

1723394653001.png

because it does this:
1723394689075.png

living in a condo and not having a dedicated workshop presents some challenges for bike maintenance,

I have just finished reading all 29 pages, and there is one tool used on bikes, that no one has posted about, can you guess what it is?
A hint = has slots....

Slappy
You get the Gold Star on the spoke wrench,
I didn't know about that second item.

How often would you use the rotor tuning fork,
I would SWAG, only if it was bent from aw sh7t moment?

I have to replace a couple of spokes on the new bike (to me),
and have been reading up on how to do it.
Thanks,

I just used a big ole adjustable wrench to straighten my rotor.

I think the prongs of a tuning fork are too far apart to work effectively ? 😂

Screenshot_20240905-112859_DuckDuckGo.jpg

got this guy to replace my stolen tools off my bike.

I've got a Crank Brothers multi-tool with a chain breaker, similar to what you have,..
It's got four sizes of spoke wrenches.

20240902_194954.jpg

I prefer using it over all my other spoke and chain tools,..

20240902_194931.jpg

I find it to be the most comfortable to use. It's got a really good feel to it.
It's made in Taiwan and they don't make junk in Taiwan.

I couldn't figure out what the heck this thing was, but I think I figured it out??

20240902_195010.jpg

I think it's a valve stem wrench if you've got a threaded valve stem with a nut?

20240902_222950.jpg

The only thing I'm worried about is not having the quick link tool with me because getting a new quick link apart is a PITA without the tool.

I think that I'm going to grind down the tip of my Leatherman pliers to fit inside my chain links?

20240905_121926.jpg

I don't like those multi tools they tend to be too short and not easy to use snce their shape sucks.

That's true.
I use my Crank Brothers tool at home when I work on my bike to find out where it does and doesn't work.

Sometimes it will barely work with almost no clearance and about 5° of rotation before I have to reset the Allen key, and sometimes it simply won't reach at all.

Now I have a pretty good idea of what I can fix or adjust when I'm on a ride.

That little built in spoke wrench is Great though.
That's what I use when I adjust my spoke tension.
It just works better than the special spoke tools.
Far less clumsy. Really Ergonomic

I just got the Prestacycle ratchet set in today so I did a quick comparison to the Blackburn one.
The blackburn is about 49.00 with a chain breaker and the Prestacycle 29.00 without the chain tool is 19.00 and lets you use the extension as a handle so it would be easier to use.
The pouch on the blackthorn does not hold the wrench well compared to the prestacycle pouch. Plus it does not come with a regular extension (I bought a prestacycle one for 6.00 before I realized the breaker bar for the chain tool is the extension).
Size-wise the prestacycle tool ratchet is much larger both have a socket in the end. But the extension on the prestacycle tool is adjustable and much longer so it would make it a great t handle if you need the leverage. Both of them feel smooth and work great. You also get more bits on the prestacycle both have a pouch for added tools. Either one of these are more useful as a regular tool than a multi-tool but you would need extra tools if you want a full set on your bike. I did not see the prestacycle tool at my local shop it was a bit hidden in the case. They had much more expensive sets in there.
IMG_4118.jpeg
IMG_4119.jpeg
IMG_4120.jpeg
IMG_4124.jpeg
Screenshot 2024-09-05 at 5.15.58 PM.png
Screenshot 2024-09-05 at 5.16.12 PM.png

This tread is where to show others a tool and to talk about its use. What do you like about this tool? What is not so great. How do you use it?

I like that it is heavy duty and has a padded grip. I use this extendable ratchet to remove and install bottom brackets. Having extra leverage is very useful.
Remember that the drive side is reverse threaded! Both sides tighten in the direction of pedal travel under power.
For the truly anal, I offer the digital chain checker.
Basically analyzing chain stretch in 'real time'.

Attachments

• 20240906_083609.jpg
    20240906_083609.jpg
    301.7 KB · Views: 34
That’s a great idea! I have a pair of calipers. What are the stock and worn out measurements!
Thanks!

that checks such a short piece of chain and checking the rollers is only somewhat accurate in the first place. measuring the actual chain is the only really accurate way to do it. but you want abotu a foot of chain to measure.

Back