This tread is where to show others a tool and to talk about its use. What do you like about this tool? What is not so great. How do you use it?

I like that it is heavy duty and has a padded grip. I use this extendable ratchet to remove and install bottom brackets. Having extra leverage is very useful.
Remember that the drive side is reverse threaded! Both sides tighten in the direction of pedal travel under power.
Now, we will go beyond anal;
Pair your charger with a "Kill A Watt" device.
1. Get real time charging wattage
2. Accumulates electricity used
3. Provides the cost for usage
4. Among other data

Attachments

• 20240904_025955.jpg
    20240904_025955.jpg
    191 KB · Views: 27
Pretty blue tools 1/2 : Pinion lockring tool:

IMG_1581.jpeg

2/2: this weird Park Tool TH-3 driver:

IMG_1582.jpeg

As far as I can tell it is only really useful for bottle cage bolts.

Now, we will go beyond anal;
Pair your charger with a "Kill A Watt" device.
1. Get real time charging wattage
2. Accumulates electricity used
3. Provides the cost for usage
4. Among other data
all you need for that is a smart plug anymore. my window ac unit does it.

I've got a Watt hour meter that I never did bother to install,..

20231006_204705.jpg
20231006_204418.jpg

It could show me if my 25ah battery actually is 25ah, and it will show me accurate real time power consumption while I'm riding so I can keep track of how fast I'm draining the battery.

I don't really need it anymore because I carry a second battery now and I don't have to worry about running out of power.

It would be nice to know the actual capacity of my batteries though, and to keep track of their decline in capacity.

all you need for that is a smart plug anymore. my window ac unit does it.

A smart plug on my charger, combined with the Watt hour meter on my e-bike, would show me how much energy is wasted converting house current into ~48 volt DC e-bike power.

I don't like those multi tools they tend to be too short and not easy to use snce their shape sucks.

One thing that I like about the multi tool is that all the bits and pieces are connected, so I can't drop them or lose them.

Except the spoke wrench of course, but it's threaded on quite a ways, so it won't unwind itself and go missing.

I've got my multi tool tethered to my jacket so I don't have to worry about it falling out of my pocket.
I pulled over once and leaned over to check something and it slipped out of my pocket.
I tethered my Leatherman tool as well. It cost me $76 CAD and I don't want to lose it.

I don't like those multi tools they tend to be too short and not easy to use snce their shape sucks.
Kind of depends on the tool. A lot of the cheap ones have a real short reach and are made of soft metal and bend badly when you reef on them.

The Crank Brothers and Pedros tools are better made and usually have a longer reach. The Park Tool ones are also pretty good.

Pet peeve: a lot of these tools have an 8mm hex key but it isn't strong enough to crack a pedal. What would you possibly use an 8 for on a bike other than pedals?

Kind of depends on the tool. A lot of the cheap ones have a real short reach and are made of soft metal and bend badly when you reef on them.

My ebike came with a multi-tool and it's a cheap piece of crap.
It's better than nothing at all though and worth carrying it with you if that's all you've got.

Pet peeve: a lot of these tools have an 8mm hex key but it isn't strong enough to crack a pedal.

I'd probably crack my hand if I tried to remove a pedal.
I think that my Crank Brothers tool would survive though ??

What would you possibly use an 8 for on a bike other than pedals?

My center stand has an 8 mm bolt, but almost no clearance for the multi-tool.

I could probably spend ½ an hour snugging up a loose bolt, but I wouldn't be able to tighten it.

The Crank Brothers and Pedros tools are better made and usually have a longer reach. The Park Tool ones are also pretty good.

Pet peeve: a lot of these tools have an 8mm hex key but it isn't strong enough to crack a pedal. What would you possibly use an 8 for on a bike other than pedals?
yes but they are still more work to get into places. so these ratchets are faster and smoother and yu can put in more torque. my only complaint is the bits are loose so you have to be careful not to drop them and it may take two hands to put pressure on the tool to keep it in the screw

,.. my only complaint is the bits are loose so you have to be careful not to drop them

I've got all the proper tools at home and prefer to use them over the multi-tool, but I have the same problem with bits or extensions falling off some of my ratchet handles.
(the little spring loaded ball bearing is shot.)

My old torque wrench is the worst where the ball bearing fell right out, so I put a piece of tape over the square attachment point then force the socket on.

I've got all the proper tools at home and prefer to use them over the multi-tool, but I have the same problem with bits or extensions falling off some of my ratchet handles.
(the little spring loaded ball bearing is shot.)

My old torque wrench is the worst where the ball bearing fell right out, so I put a piece of tape over the square attachment point then force the socket on.
I meant coming otu of the screw t=year. rachets are not as good as t handles for that job. but I can convert that ratchet into a t handle so that's really good. I don't usually have to do much of anything while riding though.

Back