Shimano Steps E6000 inaccurate speedometer and odometer

DrJay

Does anyone know if there is a dealer software correction for an inaccurate speedometer? My speedometer has been 1.5 to 2.0 mph faster than GPS and my wife's E6000 system. The odometer is also optimistic. I will read 20 miles but GPS and wife's bike says 18.5 miles. Is there a way to correct this. I have tried to contact Shimano support multiple times but have never received a response. The dealer who sold the bike does not know how to correct the issue. Has anyone experienced this issue. It's a small issue overall but it just seems that it should be correctable.

Speed reading too fast and odometer reading too far would lead me to believe that your bike's system is programmed with an inaccurate wheel circumference. And I don't believe that there is any way for the end user to adjust this just using the display (or at least I haven't found such a menu on my Steps equipped bike).

I believe that this has to be resolved by a dealer with the Shimano interface box and programming software.

Speed reading too fast and odometer reading too far would lead me to believe that your bike's system is programmed with an inaccurate wheel circumference. And I don't believe that there is any way for the end user to adjust this just using the display (or at least I haven't found such a menu on my Steps equipped bike).

I believe that this has to be resolved by a dealer with the Shimano interface box and programming software.

Thank you. I thought it might be due to circumference and there is absolutely no way for end user to change anything except the time and clear the distance, as you well know. I'll try to find a dealer with the equipment but don't have much hope finding anyone close by. It's annoying because so many cheaper hub drives and the Bafang hub motors come with screens that allow for so many adjustments. But really, thank you for the input. I really appreciate it.

Yep, unfortunately dealer assistance is required, and they'll need to do a log-in session with Shimano. This is because Shimano is heavy-handed in enforcement of the max speed limit for the market you're in.

I have the eTube interface and in the report it generates, it lists chainring, cog/cassette, and wheel rollout. But not only can't they be adjusted (I'd expect them to be grayed out), the input cells for these values aren't even visible to the end user.

I've been through this, and it's just a matter of finding a shop that has the equipment. Shimano can help you with that. They're best reached by phone (800-423-2420). They've helped me with technical questions on a number of occasions and are very easy to reach, friendly and informative.

With your current rollout error, you're short changing yourself assuming your drive unit maxes out at 20 MPH. In your case, it's cutting off at 18.5 MPH.

Thanks speedup.nate for your help. I have known that I couldn't achieve 20 mph and I think that is what has really bothered me about this. Thanks for not giving up and inspiring me to attempt to get this resolved. Great information.

I'm so glad I found this old thread. I just purchased a Kona Dew-e DL with the Shimano Steps E6100 motor and have the same issue as @DrJay. I ride with my husband who has his cyclometer calibrated by a wheel roll-out, so we know it is accurate. My mileage and speed are consistently higher (5%) than his. I did adjust the display to show -5.0% speed, but the distance traveled reading at the end of the ride is still incorrect. I was really hoping there was a way to adjust the wheel size somewhere in the app, but I guess Shimano has this locked down so we can't turn a Class 1 e-bike into a Class 3. I get that, but in the meantime, they are cheating us by providing inaccurate readings, and this also means we don't get assist all the way up to 20 mph. For my cycling log, I can use my husband's readings or install a regular cyclometer, but it would be nice to have this fixed, so I will ask my dealer when I go in for my 90-day checkup. Since they primarily deal in non-e bikes, though, I'm kind of doubtful they will have the ability to fix this issue. :(

I am amazed that you are having this issue on a new purchase with the newer 6100 motor. After many attempts I was able to connect with Shimano support (pre-pandemic) and I discovered that the nearest Shimano service center that could correct this issue was a 180 mile round trip. I just decided that this issue did not warrant that time investment. Curiously I own a much less expensive rear hub motor ebike that is accurate to within .1 mile and could be adjusted to a top speed of 25 mph. I can’t complain about my E6000 motor because I now have over 10,000 miles (adjusted for error) without any other issues.

Yeah, it's pretty amazing, @DrJay. Maybe Shimano hasn't gotten many complaints about this because most people don't notice or care. Since I ride with a partner and am an experienced cyclist, it matters to me. To new cyclists, they probably just assume it's correct, and perhaps it is for some of the bikes that use this motor. My tires are 650Bx47c, and it is definitely not right for them! I suspect Shimano just has some default setting that they use for all their e-bikes and figure, "close enough". Not!

You’re probably right. I noticed the error when I bought a gps speedometer. I ride with friends who have Bosch systems and I am consistently 1.5 mph optimistic. The Bosch dealers in my area are all certified in electric diagnostics and software updates. I ride on 700cx35 Schwalbe Marathons. Hope you enjoy your Kona!

Yeah, it's pretty amazing, @DrJay. Maybe Shimano hasn't gotten many complaints about this because most people don't notice or care. Since I ride with a partner and am an experienced cyclist, it matters to me. To new cyclists, they probably just assume it's correct, and perhaps it is for some of the bikes that use this motor. My tires are 650Bx47c, and it is definitely not right for them! I suspect Shimano just has some default setting that they use for all their e-bikes and figure, "close enough". Not!
Did you ever get a resolution on this issue @EmilyRides ? I've known that my odometer was somewhat inaccurate but I've always been someone for whom an aproximate mileage is good enough. That said, if it is fixable I would prefer getting it fixed. Was your shop able to set it for your tires?
Otherwise, I hope you are enjoying your bike.

My Slane Santiago has the same problem where the wheel diameter is not set right but I can not adjust it.
I complained to the dealer who has tried hard to find a solution. But it seems that the manufacturer has locked the setting and there is no way of 'unlocking' it. It is a shame that some e-bike manufacturers have dumbed down this option for their customers. Conscientious riders who want accuracy and who need to adjust for individual rider weight, tire pressure and tire choice will be disappointed.
Government regulations might be behind this limitation and hopefully they will realize eventually that speed can be limited without sacrificing speed and distance accuracy.

Owners have to find a certified Shimano Service Center to get this resolved. I found one 90 miles away. For me the investment in time is just not worth the effort especially if I have to leave the bike. The reality is that my bike can't go a true 20mph. I agree with @Tozguy that manufacturers should provide menus that permit adjusting parameters. There are some under 2k rear hub bikes that have displays and intuitive menus that allow all sorts of adjustments to the bikes performance.

@Bikeknit, No, I haven't. I am waiting to ask them until I take my bike in for the free 90-day service. In the meantime, I just use my husband's mileage. If they can't fix it and there is no Shimano Service Center close enough, my plan is just to put on an inexpensive cyclometer. I do track my miles on bikerides.com, so I would like to have it as close to accurate as possible. And yes, I am loving the bike! Other than this one issue, it is the bomb!

Just saw this thread. That’s a great looking bike! Apparently a bit of a climber too, at 38/46. Nice!
Oh, it definitely is! We have some big hills in our area, but with the e-assist, I'm not sure I've ever used the 46t cog. It's too heavy for me to pedal uphill without assist. I weigh 100 lbs., so the bike (with rack and other gear) is about half my weight. ;-)

@Bikeknit, ... And yes, I am loving the bike! Other than this one issue, it is the bomb!
It is a sweet bike. I can keep up with my buddy who likes to cruise at 15 mph and does hills, or turn it off on a trail with an 84 year old friend who ambles at 8 mph. I'll use it for errands even if my return trip is all uphill. So glad it is working for you.

It is a sweet bike. I can keep up with my buddy who likes to cruise at 15 mph and does hills, or turn it off on a trail with an 84 year old friend who ambles at 8 mph. I'll use it for errands even if my return trip is all uphill. So glad it is working for you.
Yes! I ride mostly with my speedy husband, so I end up using assist most of the time, though it seems like we are often cruising slightly downhill at over 18.5 mph, which is where the assist cuts out for me (since the speedometer is off). No problems without the motor on slight downhills and descents, of course. Riding by myself, I stick with Eco mode most of the time, but with my husband, at times I have to use the Normal mode to be able to keep up with him on his fast Trek. I generally average 14.5-16 mph now, vs. 11.5-12.5 when I was riding my non-e Bike Friday. There are quite a few hills around these parts! I do love the bike!

Have you checked your odometer with a known distance like a measured mile? GPS readings may not be correct either. Distances (and mph) readings on a GPS can have errors in areas with poor satellite coverage in valleys & between buildings, or on serpentine routes. Keep in mind, frequent stops, wheel skids or sharp turns can introduce tiny inaccuracies which will add up over time & distance. Taking readings on a straight line measured distance is the best way to make a fair comparison.

Back