Shimano Steps E6000 inaccurate speedometer and odometer

@6zfshdb , In my case, I almost always ride with my husband. He uses a regular Cateye wheel sensor cyclometer, not a GPS. He has done a rollout to set his wheel size accurately, so I feel comfortable with his readings. We have done several tests on different courses (some very straight), riding together, and the Shimano STEPS consistently shows about 5% higher than his Cateye. I did adjust the display to show -5%, which is the only thing Shimano will let the user do, but it's simply a display change, not the internal calculations, since my distance is consistently about 5% higher than my husband's over the course of a 20+ mile ride, and my average speed 5% higher than his, even though we're riding together at the same speed.

Finally remembered to follow up on this discussion:

I took my Kona Dew DL into the dealer where I bought it for its 90-day checkup and asked about the inaccurate speed/distance issue causing the assist to cut out at around 18.5 mph rather than much closer to 20. I left it at the shop without a lot of confidence, though the manager said they would investigate with Shimano. Much to my surprise, when I went back to pick it up, she said that they had gotten on the computer with Shimano and tuned the settings so that it would work as advertised (for all I know, they just changed the wheel size, but that would do it!) I didn't ride the bike all winter as I am wimp, preferring the trainer when it's cold out. Finally, this spring, I got to test it out, and TADA! They did indeed fix it! Now the motor doesn't cut out until I hit 19.9 mph, and the distance I record on each ride is pretty much identical to my husband's. I am so happy about this, since it means no more adjusting stats after a ride, and more importantly, it gives me a bit more assist, important since my husband is so speedy on his non-e road bike.

I am super happy that my LBS was able to do this -- can highly recommend them, if anyone else is nearby: Back Alley Bikes in Carrbor, NC. Note that they only service e-bikes that are purchased from them, though.

Back