ShareRoller - Quick and Dirty Electric Bikes

Predicted July missive from Jeff: "Unfortunately, our rangfoozler supplier recently noticed a 2% increase in water penetration. We have completely redesigned the entire rangfoozler assembly. With new molds, testing of the re-designed rangfoozler, etc., we estimate a one month delay from our previous estimate of the delivery date. Thank you for your continued support."

Predicted July response by Lin B: "I was quite pleased about the new and improved rangfoozler. I had been worried about the rangfoozler all this time. I will be fine if we get delivery by the fall riding season. Delays like this are common to all crowdfunded projects, so we should count ourselves lucky. Everyone knew and expected this to happen. That is understood when you send money to someone for something like this."

Predicted July post by Allie Miller: "Is Lin B really Jeff Guida or one of the Shareroller staff? How does Lin B have what seems to be insider knowledge about Shareroller? Or is Lin B simply a PR consultant--everything has a positive spin on it, after all. Problems are minimized, future benefits extolled. Still, after all of this silliness, I do want to own a Shareroller."
I'm a backer, You are not. Jeff and Grace are very responsive to my questions. Now go away troll.

Since it appeared that I was temporarily banned for no other reason than being critical of Shareroller (that was the reason given when I tried to login a few days ago), I'd like to say that, like most here, I like Shareroller and the concept of it and think it has the potential to fill a much needed gap in the cycling/bike share industries. It seems like Jeff is really trying to build a top quality and modern friction drive system. With that said...

These delays are frustrating. When I saw him put up a "countdown" on his website, my first thought was that there's no way he's going to update this every day and he hasn't. It says 8 days left, but shouldn't we be closer to 5? He's his own worst enemy when it comes to communicating effectively with his backers and potential buyers. Every time he says his product will be released and it isn't, the credibility of him and the brand suffers.

We're supposed to be excited about the new throttle and sensor that clearly exists in a CAD file, but with real photos being noticeably absent, the message between the lines is that the throttle doesn't really exist yet.

And, correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the final hiccup the shipment of battery packs? So why is the throttle now an issue if everything else was good to go?

I've been following Shareroller since the first model and I'm merely pointing out inconsistencies and things for consideration. I don't believe Jeff has acted in bad faith and I do believe he is honestly trying to release Shareroller, I just think he's tried to not worry everyone by issuing unrealistic timelines and its acted to his own detriment in some ways. My advice to him if he ever gets Shareroller out the door and has some kind of a budget - hire a communications and customer relations staffer.

"[H]ire a communications and customer relations staffer."

The irony here, as I have commented on before, is seen when one looks at the pretty well done marketing for Shareroller v1. Lots of good articles and video, lots of attention paid to marketing (on a small budget, at least). You know what the difference is? The media and YouTube viewers are free agents that need to be won over; the Indiegogo backers are stuck.

Lin B to me: "I'm a backer, You are not. Jeff and Grace are very responsive to my questions. Now go away troll."

Lin B, are you paid by and/or compensated by and/or related to and/or friends with Jeff and/or Shareroller and/or anyone working for or with Shareroller in any way?

In other words, Lin B, are you a Shareroller cheerleader and apologist with clean hands?

Lin B to me: "I'm a backer, You are not. Jeff and Grace are very responsive to my questions. Now go away troll."

Lin B, are you paid by and/or compensated by and/or related to and/or friends with Jeff and/or Shareroller and/or anyone working for or with Shareroller in any way?

In other words, Lin B, are you a Shareroller cheerleader and apologist with clean hands?
I'm only going to answer you this one time - I'm a backer. I paid for this product. I'm not affiliated with Jeff in any way except I'm a backer. I have had many questions about fitting the new design to my bike as it is an unusual model and Jeff and Grace have responded to my many questions without making me feel like a moron. I have backed approximately 8 crowdfunded projects - and only one has come in on time or close to it. As to my positive attitude - we get what we expect in life. I'm sure you get exactly what YOU expect and I feel sorry for you. But it's not my problem that you are a negative person who spends time trying to create drama over something you haven't even purchased. Now - done with you and blocked. Go find something constructive to do with your time instead of trolling and spreading conspiracy theories.

To Lin B:

(1) I paid for this product. -- There is no product. Despite dozens of promises (or estimates, if you prefer), the Shareroller is more than two years overdue. Shareroller v1 could have been shipped as promised, but it wasn't because Shareroller decided to hold the backers hostage while improving their product on their own schedule. You like to cite crowdfunded projects, but I will cite businesses: Businesses improve their products on their own time not on their customers' time. (Okay, businesses other than Microsoft.)

(2) As to my positive attitude -- I, too, have a positive attitude when treated fairly and reasonably. Being manipulated or toyed with makes one look for answers sometimes, so one might appear to some to have a "negative" attitude.

(3) I feel sorry for you -- If that is sincere, thank you.

(4) something constructive to do -- Holding people responsible--even if only in chat--for their words and actions is constructive. More good people should do it more often.

(5) trolling and spreading conspiracy theories -- "Theories"? I had one (not two or more) straightforward and reasonable question about your standing given your months and years of Shareroller advocacy. There is no "theory" and certainly no "theories." And indiscriminate people throw around the word "troll" (a useful word and idea to describe something negative, it is true) even in the face of real, honest, good commentary.

Fairness and Reasonableness are the watchwords.

(6) I have backed approximately [sic] 8 crowdfunded projects -- This is the source of your big problem in all of this, Lin B. You have said that "everyone" knows that there will be long delays, "everyone" knows that crowdfunded products may not be shipped at all, "everyone" is fine with the delays, "everyone" is fine with being told something would happen and then it doesn't and told/misled not once, not twice, but dozens of times. I do not believe that "everyone" is on board with all of this, and I do not like your trying to cut off discussion or embarrass or browbeat people into not complaining about how they are being treated. Say what you have to say and let others say what they have to say. Cite facts and support them to point out errors in what other people say. Just because you have the luxury of time and money to play around with crowdfunded projects doesn't mean everyone does. Defend Jeff if you want to by saying, "It isn't his fault if some people are naive," but do not presume to try to shut off fair and reasonable ongoing discussion about ongoing problems.

The picture below is from the first post in this thread. As the screen shot shows, the date was March 10, 2014. You can easily confirm this, of course, by going to the beginning of this thread.

1528915952927.png

On June 1, it was announced that we were 10 days away till pre-order launch. Fifteen days later we are "6" days away according to the website. So I guess that's progress, but the whole thing makes me question why he decided to use "days" as a progress indicator rather than some kind of visual indicator that isn't attached to the rising of a new sun. Clearly the "x days remaining" indicator is completely meaningless an unreliable.

In other news, it would appear that Trump's trade war may not make this any easier for Jeff or his customers, with planned tariffs on electric motors:

https://www.theverge.com/2018/6/15/17467864/china-tariff-trade-war-trump-white-house

On June 1, it was announced that we were 10 days away till pre-order launch. Fifteen days later we are "6" days away according to the website. So I guess that's progress, but the whole thing makes me question why he decided to use "days" as a progress indicator rather than some kind of visual indicator that isn't attached to the rising of a new sun. Clearly the "x days remaining" indicator is completely meaningless an unreliable.

In other news, it would appear that Trump's trade war may not make this any easier for Jeff or his customers, with planned tariffs on electric motors:

https://www.theverge.com/2018/6/15/17467864/china-tariff-trade-war-trump-white-house

I think it just reflects that he's an engineer, not a retail marketing pro. The "under promise and over deliver" aspect of selling is not something that tech/mechanical people always grasp. The tariffs will change everything about cycling.....steel prices rising (will def. impact Bike Friday, Seven, Rivendell, etc.), and the cost of electric bikes, cars, scooters. Good time to buy now, maybe.

NewAtlas.com article from February 20, 2014. If my math is correct, ShareRoller was promoting itself, sending out press releases, and meeting with reviewers over four years ago. Bicycles roll; time flies.

1529421461206.png

After saying it would be "six days" for about a week, he's now updated it again to say ' ~1 week'. Any guesses as to what that translates to in Jeff years? I get the feeling that Jeff monitors this thread so perhaps he'll chime in. We're getting far enough into the summer that I'm far less likely to consider a purchase, though I'd also need to see evidence that there's a bunch of production models stateside waiting to ship before I jump on this.

I'm curious about the thought process...if someone didn't get in on the crowdfunded pricing why would they pre-order (for what I assume is not a huge discount) instead of waiting for actual reviews of the product? Risk is built into the crowdfunded price, but I'm guessing the pre-order is only going to be a couple hundred short of full retail - not enough to assume much risk. Why would you not want to wait until you can get real life feedback? If you've been waiting for a while to get an order in, why not wait a few more months to see how it really works? Just wondering (of course, if the pre-order price is really good then it makes sense).

I'm curious about the thought process...if someone didn't get in on the crowdfunded pricing why would they pre-order

I'm curious as to why Shareroller would offer preorder when they have not even delivered product to those that have been waiting years.

I'm curious as to why Shareroller would offer preorder when they have not even delivered product to those that have been waiting years.

Well, they aren't actually offering it yet, lol. Seems like they are waiting until the units are ready to ship...so you're getting your wish. Of course, there is also the meaning of "pre" order, lol.

Last edited:

This is common in the crowdfunded world as they try to greatly increase their $$$$.

For instance The Noke Ulock, first launched on KS, then months later on IG, then presales on their own website, blew every promised deadline, lied to their backers from the get-go, continued to lie, is now over 3 yrs late, and raised a couple million at least, which they've been using to create marketing, slick website and brand themselves as something different and focusing on corporations. Meanwhile their backers never received the product and they stopped providing updates 6 months ago. At this point they will never produce this fabled bluetooth ULock product, yet there are still people hanging on, begging for a project update, who continue to hope and pray for a product that will never arrive.

If the ShareRoller beats the Helix to production and release, I'll be happy, lol. Big difference in how much $ backers had to tie up but not much difference in terms of delays.

There is another new Kickstarter ebike item, and it is quite similar to Shareroller except it doesn't have a throttle, only pedal assist. The MSRP shows as 399 British pounds (about $530 US). Estimated delivery is October, 2018 (translated from Kickstarter into real life, that is approximately 2020; every year they will blame the delay on Chinese New Year).

Revos | Transform your bike into an ebike
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/revolutionworks/revos-transform-your-bike-into-an-ebike

Last edited:
Back