Riese & Müller Introduce New Charger and Supercharger E-Bikes to the US

Hi, i read on forums on this site that owners of R&M bikes do ecperience troubles. Some soon after they get the bike. For the price I would expect better.

I paid about 2700 for my ebike. Ive had none of the problems listed by R&M owners on this site. I do nothing but ride.

Not trying to down RM, I am just sharing my thoughts.

few issues does not mean that this brand has general overt troubles as you want to make believe, perhaps saying something like you said is to feel happy for having made a different choice :) but you should pay attention because forums are here to inform and this instead is misinformation. As mentioned by others, each brand will have some problematic cases, either because of the bike or the seller, but this does not mean that few individual cases can mean generic troubles on the whole production, this applies to any brand. Dear Grace also on my Supercharger GT Touring I have nothing to do but riding it and I have no trouble at all :) ...this doen't mean that every R&M customer will be happy, or that R&M is unique but in any case I think it can be said with serenity that almost all R&M customers have happily spent so much money specifically to have such a reliable product.

Last edited:
You have said that there are reports on this forum of troubles with a particular brand of bike, implying that there are more for this brand than for others. That is not an opinion. It is either true or not. Have you compared the volume of posts citing problems between several brands? Do you know how many bikes of each brand owned by the participating members here?

It is hard to assess whether one brand is more trouble prone than another based on reports on a forum. You also need to know how many of each brand of bike are represented in each of the specific brand posts, information that is not at all available.

As one who has spent quite a bit of time here, especially paying attention to any information about Riese & Muller, I haven't seen what you are citing. Maybe I have just missed it.

Although this has not been my experience, I am curious to learn more. Could you please post some links to the threads where people have posted about "troubles" to which you are referring?
Ive not implied, you drew an inference, and attributed thoughts to me, that I did not express.

Do your own research regarding RM Bikes. Im not going to do it for you.

Im done with this conversation.

few issues does not mean that this brand has general overt troubles as you want to make believe, perhaps saying something like you said is to feel happy for having made a different choice :) but you should pay attention because forums are here to inform and this instead is misinformation. As mentioned by others, each brand will have some problematic cases, either because of the bike or the seller, but this does not mean that few individual cases can mean generic troubles on the whole production, this applies to any brand. Dear Grace also on my Supercharger GT Touring I have nothing to do but riding it and I have no trouble at all :) ...this doen't mean that every R&M customer will be happy, or that R&M is unique but in any case I think it can be said with serenity that almost all R&M customers have happily spent so much money specifically to have such a reliable product.
dont shoot the messenger. You are definitely enlarging the issue, and attributing thoughts to me that I didnt express. The info is in black and white. Im done with this conversation.

The Trek store in my neighborhood is clearing out their 2017/18 R+M bikes now, so I took the chance to buy a 2017 Charger GT touring this week . This is our 4th ebike in the family ,and with any luck it will be the last one I buy for a long while . I started out with a folding Ebike and quickly returned it for a Jetson 500 watt rear hub motor with twin batteries . That bike had gobs of hill climbing raw power but no manners. It was a lot of fun but really it is kind of a dangerous beast that lurches away when you dont want it to and the frame had so much flex you could never take your hands off the bars. I put 6000 k on it but it kept breaking spokes and the chain kept falling off. One time I pressed the minus button while it was charging and it sped away and crashed on the garage floor, breaking the charger. Needless to say it was a love /hate realtionship and I had been looking to replace it for a while . I bought my wife a used Yunbike C1 for $400 . She couldnt keep up with me on it (although it is a well made funky little bike) ,so I found her a used Trek Powerfly 5 with less than 100 k on it ,and this is a perfect bike for her. Now it was my turn for an upgrade. First I bought the Nevo touring and I liked it alot ( the upright seating position is very comfy ).ThenI took it on some rocky trails andIt became clear that this is a city bike first and last and the suspension is clearly not designed for rough trails . So I exchanged it for the Charger GT which has a better air sprung fork and wider Scwalbes and a thud buster seat post . This is more suitable for me. I could have taken the belt driven model but I feel more familiar with the standard cluster and chain . Also I have read on this site that the Deore model gets a bit more range from the battery, than the Nuvinci but I dont know for sure if that is true. Anyways I am well pleased with this bike after its first 100 k

dont shoot the messenger. You are definitely enlarging the issue, and attributing thoughts to me that I didnt express. The info is in black and white. Im done with this conversation.

Don't be so overtouchy :) we are just writng about bikes...you could argue further, explain better what leads you to be sure of some statements and without any resentment...
with all due respect everyone have to take responsibility for his own words, it is not me who shoots the messenger :) ...have good time :)

I've just read through the R&M Issues & Problems thread (for the first time!) and there is nothing there that could possibly make me question my decision to purchase a new R&M. The comments include:
  • Brake issues (mainly noise) that could, and usually do, occur on any ebike.
  • A NuVinci issue that was set right.
  • Muttering about tyres that refuse to leave the rim after a puncture (ditto on my Trek Powerfly 5).
  • Dmitri's insightful and much-appreciated critical analysis.
  • Plenty of good humour: "Problem: I end up riding 100+ km and being gone all day when I'm supposed to be working."
... David

Last edited by a moderator:
For me, it isn't about the quality of the R&M bikes. I've seen a couple of them close up and they're very well designed and built. But the price of the R&M offerings makes them somewhat inaccessible to my budget. Moreover, R&M produces them on a BTO basis which means that there is almost zero chance of a clearance sale. Honestly, I'll probably grab a similar Haibike instead because the bike is cheaper and at some point it will be discounted. The Haibike Trekking Sduro 9.0 has some of the same features as the Charger, but with a more mellow price tag. One advantage of the Haibike is that you can choose whether you want the dual battery set up after you've purchased the bike. The modular rail system is an add-on. The rail extender and lock only costs 154 euros, which of course is without the battery. If you add that to the price of the bike, it's already cheaper than the R&M Charger. On the other hand, R&M is a good choice if you want an IGH such as a Rohloff or Nuvinci because Haibike only offers derailleur based systems as of now. The Rohlhoff would be really appealing to me, but overall price remains an obstacle.

Bottom line: we all have our reasons for choosing certain models or certain brands.

Yes I can understand you @JayVee, R&M are really expensive and my budget was lower too, so i had to meticulously plan this purchase and this means choosing some sacrifice in next months but considering that people in this world choose to give up to essential things to buy an iphone (and a bike is better for your health than a phone), i still think i take a good call. I want to give the tour of whole europe by bike for my 50 years and I wanted to choose a bike that would give me certainties about the reliability and autonomy. I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun with your haibike too...

Craigslist Vancouver under bikes search Riese right now ,you will find a new 2017 Nevo for $3300 and a pair of Chargers on Clearance from my local Trek store for $ 4000 each!

I thought it was my only chance to be able afford the Charger and so I took it...sadly it bankrupted me at least in the short term and now nobody is my family is getting any Xmas gifts from me this year ..(-:

Yes I will be curious to see how long those last two bikes will remain available. I didnt hesitate to get a 2017, since R+M offer a 2 yr warranty on the battery and motor

[
I own two Riese & Muller Bikes, a Nevo Nuvinci GH and an Homage Rohloff HS. I have put 4,700 miles on these two bikes since early April

The design concepts are unique, well conceived and truly functional. The build quality on these bikes is the best I have ever seen. The finish is immaculate, The component choices are consistently top notch. They are both about as trouble free as one could ever ask for in an item assembled by human hands.

I have gotten what I paid for (which was a lot) and am a totally satisfied Riese & Muller owner.

I have no idea why someone would say that "People have some trouble with this bike" and wonder what information source this comes from. Other than the fact that every machine ever made occasionally gives trouble, my experience is that R&M bikes give far less trouble than most.[/QU Which bike do you ride more often?

I ride the Homage almost exclusively. My wife rides the Nevo. I ride almost every day, she every week. I am totally taken with the Bosch HS/Rohloff drive train. I really can't imagine how it's behavior/performance could be improved upon. The only thing I can see with room is aesthetics and weight.

Don't be so overtouchy :) we are just writng about bikes...you could argue further, explain better what leads you to be sure of some statements and without any resentment...
with all due respect everyone have to take responsibility for his own words, it is not me who shoots the messenger :) ...have good time :)
Im not a "his" im not making arguments.......so..........bye.

Back